Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Six Flags Magic Mountain

^Colossus is old. It may be a classic, but it is worn and it has been trimmed to death. The ride has been neutered.

Count me as ecstatic for the Colossus re-do. You know what this means? Magic Mountain may finally have a REALLY good coaster. Word on the street is that they may consider having the ride all on one track. After one side has run its course, its supposedly going through the entire course again, but on the other side. If there is validity to that rumor, that would put Iron Colossus as the world's longest coaster, period. 

^Colossus is old. It may be a classic, but it is worn and it has been trimmed to death. The ride has been neutered.

Count me as ecstatic for the Colossus re-do. You know what this means? Magic Mountain may finally have a REALLY good coaster. Word on the street is that they may consider having the ride all on one track. After one side has run its course, its supposedly going through the entire course again, but on the other side. If there is validity to that rumor, that would put Iron Colossus as the world's longest coaster, period. 
If they connect the two tracks together, I would love to see RMC re-profile one side of the ride back to its original opening day layout. By all accounts, Colossus in its original incarnation, was one of the greatest airtime filled coasters ever built. Then the second half of the ride can be a CRAZY RMC coaster.

If they did this, Colossus will easily be in many peoples top 5 coasters list.

I would love to see them for the

If they do that, I think with track type will be the Outlaw run/Wildfire track as it'd fit in with the Colossus ride.
I could see SFMM using the Topper Track for the "classic" half of the ride and for the RMC half use Iron Horse track.

If SFMM did that, then they would have a worlds first "true wood/steel hybrid coaster".   SFMM LOVES gimmicks and that seems right up their alley.

So I went for the first time in a decade yesterday. Some thoughts:

1) They have definitely improved safety here. When I was younger it was a gang town. Now I saw tons of families together and the college and early 20s crowd was just having a good time too it seemed. Security was present everywhere but they were quite nice and helpful.

2) The queue control is great. They now separate the main standby line from the line at the actual ride seating entrance. This keeps people from cutting or pushing at the yellow safety gates and makes for a much safer boarding process.

3) The food is much improved. I mean light years improved.

4) The staff is much more attentive and overall seemed much friendlier than in my past visits. People actually smiled and joked with me, and they triple checked the restraints on each ride.

5) They have changed their image with DC's heavier presence in the park. They sell capes of all kind for example. Not just Batman or superman, but even capes designed for characters that don't wear them, such as the flash, and even villains like the joker and riddler. Not only are they great from a sales perspective, but seeing grown men walking around like little kids in capes was very cool. People were calmer, happier, and respectful.

6) They have really stepped up their game in queue theming for a few rides. The queue for Apocalypse was cool, but the queue for Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom was amazing.

7) They offer charging stations for all types of mobile device throughout the park through their partnership with Honda. A nice little courtesy I wish USH and knotts offered!

Overall it was a pleasant and safe experience, and I upgraded to the season pass (I didn't pay for my initial ticket, my job did) because I actually want to come back. Kudos to Six Flags for turning it around!

Despite Food; SFMM is fun for a half-day. Nothing really special and its not worth me staying the entire day; I'd do USH for one half and SFMM for another. As Universal is fun; Still a half day (Until 2 years from now).

Sounds like some things have improved since I worked there in 2011. That's when Gotham was changed into DC Universe, and the higher ups stated that it represented a change they wanted to make in the parks. Everywhere else, such as queue control and treatment of employees, as well as general upkeep and cleanliness was still in the sewers.

I think Jonathan spoke about seeing feces on the wall in the bathroom once, and that happened to me at least three times that summer. So it's great to hear that things have been on the rise in the past three years.

Despite Food; SFMM is fun for a half-day. Nothing really special and its not worth me staying the entire day; I'd do USH for one half and SFMM for another. As Universal is fun; Still a half day (Until 2 years from now).
I'd agree, except on peak days with no FOTL's and 200 min TF waits (yes! I've actually waited 3 1/3 hrs for TF!) I think it may be closer to a day. But usually I can get everything done within 3 hrs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like some things have improved since I worked there in 2011. That's when Gotham was changed into DC Universe, and the higher ups stated that it represented a change they wanted to make in the parks. Everywhere else, such as queue control and treatment of employees, as well as general upkeep and cleanliness was still in the sewers
Things have improved, but only marginally so in my opinion. My biggest beef with the park is their perceived mantra of "set it and forget it" - whereby they simply let nice things rot and deteriorate to the point of no return. This includes attractions, restaurants, themed lands, queues and restrooms.

Granted, DC Universe looks good for what it is, but you can already see the Six Flags treatment setting in. New paint isn't going to do the trick when you're simply adding a layer on top four existing layers of cruft and sadness. It's just not a good situation, and I can't understand why park management doesn't take the effort to change. They keep saying they will, but until I see sustained improvements, I'm always doubtful.

By the way - the restrooms are still terrible. The Full Throttle restaurant was the only saving grace.

Last edited by a moderator:
Things have improved, but only marginally so in my opinion. My biggest beef with the park is their perceived mantra of "set it and forget it" - whereby they simply let nice things rot and deteriorate to the point of no return. This includes attractions, restaurants, themed lands, queues and restrooms.

Granted, DC Universe looks good for what it is, but you can already see the Six Flags treatment setting in. New paint isn't going to do the trick when you're simply adding a layer on top four existing layers of cruft and sadness. It's just not a good situation, and I can't understand why park management doesn't take the effort to change. They keep saying they will, but until I see sustained improvements, I'm always doubtful.

By the way - the restrooms are still terrible. The Full Throttle restaurant was the only saving grace.
I saw fecal matter on the walls (literally) on my visit in March.