Space Jam: A New Legacy | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

Space Jam: A New Legacy

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
IDK, I'm pretty sure Pepe's shtick wouldn't be seen as funny by today's audience. Persistent unwanted sexual advances complete with forced kissing and touching just isn't as funny as it used to be.
The deleted scene would have actually been quality. But I can also see how it would have been out of place in *this* movie.

How is there not even a single reference to the first movie or to Michael? I know the movie isn't out yet, but if that was in the movie, I feel like that's the type of thing that they'd put in the trailer.
Don Cheadle says that Michael's actually in the movie, just not the way fans will expect. He also had a cameo for Back in Action, and I believe the producers said this movie will reference that more than the first Space Jam.

Watched the First Film today to get ready for the sequel

It's not a "great" film but its still fun the watch, the animated is nice, some funny jokes for adults and its cheesy fun. Now I looked at the run time for the sequel almost 20 mins more which makes sense why the reviews are meh....no "kids" film needs to be 2 hours.
Hoping it will mostly be a fun ride still

Just watched the movie. I know most of us probably remember the original a bit overly fondly, but it was still a pretty solid movie and was enjoyable overall. I felt like this movie was very try hard from the start and on the whole, it was just a giant mess. I had low expectations going in and it somehow managed to be more cringy than expected.

I did like the Michael Jordan joke, though. But wow would I be ashamed of this if I was Don Cheadle.

This is a film that very much exists. Does it need too? No.

It's a blatant cash grab and promotional bluff to HBOMax, that despite it's stellar animation quality, visual effects (Excluding the villain), and voice cast (Zendaya surprised me a bit by how she carried forward on Lola); that by all accounts should not work. So...for the intended audience, kids. Why does it work?

Lebron. I actually have to give him credit for the stuff they pull off, and how dedicated to this that he actually did. You can tell that he's having fun, and that helps a lot to digest things (Even if it's a very hamstring plot with basic set-ups and contrivances). I thought it was fine, mediocre at best. But for kids, I actually have hopes of this film doing intensely well. It feels like something that, when paired with things such as HBOMax's Looney Tunes and the upcoming Coyote v. Acme project at WAG, should be a hopeful revitalization of the Looney Tunes brand. And I'm happy that Looney Tunes is finally getting more proper inclusion and content after the outcomes for Space Jam and Back in Action.

I won't lie though--this film be cursed. Very cursed.

I liked it, I don't think its amazing but its fun and definitely not as bad as id' thought it would be

Both the CGI and cartoon animation looked good to me and was funny, for sure I've seen worst "kids" films its not Pixar but better than Minions in my book

I will say that yes, LeBron is the best part of this film, but only because he’s playing himself for all intents and purposes. It’s really tough to judge him and how his future in Hollywood looks based on this performance.

The sad thing is that this is probably gonna do some decent business at the worldwide box office (although it's still very likely to lose money considering it cost quite a bit), depending on if it gets a Chinese release or not. With the comments against the Chinese government by many teams, i'm not sure if they'll allow it to be played there with the games biggest star headlining this movie (although basketball is big in China so if it gets released there, I expect high numbers).

I guess this is just about brand recognition and star power, but the fact that this movie is probably going to just about double (if not more than double) the opening of In The Heights has me a bit salty, i'm not gonna lie. The quality difference between the two films is night and day, but I guess that's just the power Lebron, Bugs Bunny, Don Cheadle, NBA/WNBA stars and Space Jam have over Anthony Ramos, Lin-Manuel, and In The Heights.

Nah, the numbers we have are indicating it'll have a terrific weekend. A little frontloaded for a family flick, but still great (Black Widow, meanwhile, is looking at a potentially awful drop). It'll still lose a lot of money, but so will everything in the pandemic.

I'm torn on this. On the one hand, I want theaters to live and I want Malcolm D Lee to have the kind of big career he seems primed for and that's alluded him for years. On the other hand, I feel like if doing so resulted in more movies like this, it'd be the bad future.

Nah, the numbers we have are indicating it'll have a terrific weekend. A little frontloaded for a family flick, but still great (Black Widow, meanwhile, is looking at a potentially awful drop). It'll still lose a lot of money, but so will everything in the pandemic.

I'm torn on this. On the one hand, I want theaters to live and I want Malcolm D Lee to have the kind of big career he seems primed for and that's alluded him for years. On the other hand, I feel like if doing so resulted in more movies like this, it'd be the bad future.
I'm confused, I was indicating it would have a good weekend. It has a strong chance of beating out Black Widow based on what i'm seeing. Although I don't think the Black Widow drop is going to be quite as big as it's projected to be. I think it'll definitely be over 60%, but many have it very close to 70. I think it'll be closer to 63-66% drop and I think the hype from the Loki ending will only help the movie. Although the events of Loki don't have any impact on Black Widow, I do think it at least kept hype alive going into the weekend.

Projections have been a bit weird in the Pandemic-era as the forecasts they used to use aren't necessarily panning out the way they thought, otherwise, they would have seen the lack of enthusiasm for ITH coming and they would have been able to tell that BW would likely be a front-loaded film and not adjust expectations to $100M. There are so many new variables to account for now (such as BW being on Disney+ and Space Jam 2 being on HBO Max for example) that it makes projecting these things much harder. I actually don't think SJ2 will debut as high as they think, but we'll see.

Last edited:
I just was seeing Lola Bunny trending on twitter and that whole convo going on. Yeah, they desexualized her, but they didn't actually add anything to her character and in fact, i'd say she was much better in the first movie as a character, forget the sexualization.

On a side note, I also feel like they made her look a bit like Judy Hopps :lol: