Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Spaceship Earth: Our Shared Story

Aug 15, 2014
--Classified--
So a focus on storytelling and getting rid of innovation and technology? Thoughts?

I for one am most disappointed with this out of all the D23 announcements. I’m okay with everything else and excited for some of it, but not this. Spaceship Earth works because of its focus on communication and innovation. If you expand that breadth anymore, you get an attraction that won’t be able to cohesively tell it’s story. I wish all the luck to the imagineers who have to design this one. The execs won.

So a focus on storytelling and getting rid of innovation and technology? Thoughts?

I for one am most disappointed with this out of all the D23 announcements. I’m okay with everything else and excited for some of it, but not this. Spaceship Earth works because of its focus on communication and innovation. If you expand that breadth anymore, you get an attraction that won’t be able to cohesively tell it’s story. I wish all the luck to the imagineers who have to design this one. The execs won.

Based on what was shown I got the impression that the only real changes are projections and projection mapping to "change and add to the story"... I could be wrong, but that's the overall vibe I got from it. Seems like they went with the most budget minded idea they could come up with to just say they "changed" the ride for the updated Epcot.

giphy.gif

In all seriousness, they went to pains to say most of the scenes would be remaining, so that's positive.

But I'm not unconcerned.

Based on what was shown I got the impression that the only real changes are projections and projection mapping to "change and add to the story"... I could be wrong, but that's the overall vibe I got from it. Seems like they went with the most budget minded idea they could come up with to just say they "changed" the ride for the updated Epcot.

That's the impression I got. Enough pep to update certain scenes, add a new narrator, and maybe finished what they started from 2007. :lol:

I have to admit, given their recent track record, I am a bit worried characters will somehow find their way into this. But based on the art they showed, I didn't see any characters and it looked fine, so i'm gonna stay hopeful about this project.

Did they say when SSE is closing?

I wasn't watching and the concept art picture I saw was different, but yeah that does look like the ray from Moana. Maybe they'll mention the character in the ride but it will be generic Pacific Islanders in the scene?

EC1f4vnU0AAdNLw

I wasn't watching and the concept art picture I saw was different, but yeah that does look like the ray from Moana. Maybe they'll mention the character in the ride but it will be generic Pacific Islanders in the scene?

EC1f4vnU0AAdNLw
Okay, that’s definitely based on the designs from Moana, whether or not the IP is explicitly mentioned.

On one hand communication is the original concept for this ride, so "story telling" does fit (remember all the books, alphabets, plays, etc).

On the other hand this could be very very bad.
I feel like what they are referring to as “storytelling” and what SSE used to be themed to (“communication”) are, while seemingly similar, very different.

There’s no way Mr. Chapek is building a “story telling” themed ride and NOT including his favorite characters in it. This will follow through time, then will end with modern day Disney “story telling”. I’d put my money on it.

That's the impression I got. Enough pep to update certain scenes, add a new narrator, and maybe finished what they started from 2007. :lol:
They are going to replace refurb the ride system right? How long has that thing been running without significant downtime?

If all they're doing to this ride is giving it some upgrades, great! If they're going to change most of the ride and include references to other Disney IPs, please NO. Don't ruin this ride.

Also, please stay open until at least October. I'm going to be checking this out again next month, assuming it won't be closed.

If they add a more connected narrative with some effect upgrades and hopefully real stuff happening during the descent... I’m happy.