Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Special Effects Show

Jul 7, 2013
23553155665_5f1a04c545_b.jpg

22926086403_1a7aca9577_b.jpg

I don't have my schedule for work next week yet <_< , and I already told them I have to leave by 2pm on Thursday :ph34r:  (......STAR WARS!!!!!!!!!!), so I got my ticket for the 5pm show.

Anyone else going to the 5pm show?

Oh cool, they're bringing back Backdraft. (rimshot)

Although, "Special Effect Show"? This is like when the New York New York hotel here in Vegas retitled the Manhattan Express into "The Roller Coaster" because that's what most people would literally refer to it as. Might as well change the name of The Haunted Mansion to "The Haunted House", the Disneyland Railroad to "The Train Ride" and the Studio Tour to "The Tram Ride". Of course, this is Universal where literally everything is "Blank: The RIde" so....

I don't understand the preview if it opens the next day, also preview is star wars day, so who would go unless you have tickets for the citywalk theater

Oh cool, they're bringing back Backdraft. (rimshot)

Although, "Special Effect Show"? This is like when the New York New York hotel here in Vegas retitled the Manhattan Express into "The Roller Coaster" because that's what most people would literally refer to it as. Might as well change the name of The Haunted Mansion to "The Haunted House", the Disneyland Railroad to "The Train Ride" and the Studio Tour to "The Tram Ride". Of course, this is Universal where literally everything is "Blank: The RIde" so....
To be fair, Special Effects Stage wasn't a great title to begin with.So has anyone heard about what this new show will entail?

Got to see it today, I really enjoyed it. I thought the added fight and fire stunts were really well done. Also the "scare" prank they play on the audience volunteer was really well done as well, the woman in my show fell right on her ass! Another positive is they got rid of the Jerry character, never thought that worked or was funny!

Overall, nice refresh.

As strange as it may be, i want to say that its really well done, especially considering what they had before for SES.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I just finished watching the video for the show... and I kind of wish I had gone today. I had looked at the pics IU posted on FB and it didn't look all that exciting, so I decided to just stay home today. Having watched it, I regret not motivating myself to go up to the park. Oh well, I'll eventually see it.

Definitely a major improvement over the original SES... very reminiscent to the old school special effects shows. The "horror" segment was similar to Orlando's HMU show which made me happy to see. Although did anyone else notice The Hulk in the horror video montage? :lol:

I was kinda disappointed that they kept the space suit gimmick. It is sort of "meh" after everything else. Too bad they couldn't give us Orlando's former HMU show ending with the Fly pods. That would've been great!

I was very happy to see Mike as one of the hosts of this new show. I know him from Orlando. He played Prince Nuada & John Connor in the B&T 2008/2009 shows. You guys would know him as Zod in USH's short-lived 2013 B&T show. :)

Definitely an improvement over the previous version but still far from perfect or charming like the old one on the lower lot. I like the addition of stunts and fire, but it still lacks improv or proper comedy, which I guess is to keep the show pace similar. I'm glad they got rid of the whole "it's his first day on the job" bit with one of the hosts. Still wish they would do more physical effects with the volunteers. They only mentioned some of the effect techniques, like matte/glass painting effects and miniature model effects.

Biggest omission from their effect portfolio is blue/green screens. Chroma key is a massive component of special effects and I'm surprised they did absolutely nothing with it! The old Nutty Professor green screen bit was always hysterical. But I'm glad they brought back a sound effects bit.

Another note I'd give is still too much reliance on the screens. Cut the screen time in half and you'll have more time for actual demonstrations, not behind the scenes DVD clips.

Last edited by a moderator:
Knowing Mike, I can assure you that they will try to keep it fresh when/where they can as far as improv goes. I briefly talked to him tonight after watching it, he said he is having a blast with the new show & the cast. This was only a preview, so I am sure it will only get better with time (at least we can hope). They'll be able to tweak things where necessary.

I actually enjoyed the video montages... but I will say it reminded me of Orlando's "Universal Cinematic Spectacular" lagoon show.

I almost feel like 30-35mins is a tad too long for this show.