Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Aug 3, 2017
Scotland
Hearing/reading mutterings of Splash Mountain going down for refurbishment from August 28th to November 17th? Anybody know if there is any truth to this? Seems like a strange time to do a lengthy refurbishment of a wet ride in such a busy period? Understandable that rides like Splash, Space, etc will go under refurbishment for lengthy periods over next few years in anticipation for the 50th but it seems a strange time of year.

Welcome! Not heard of anything specifically but wouldn't surprise me if true. September/October is one of the slower times of the year and they'll want to have all systems go for the holidays although I know a water ride in December wouldn't appeal to me personally :)

Thanks for the welcome! I'm a long time reader but finally took the plunge to join the discussion! To be honest, I am just a bit gutted because I'm in Orlando for the refurbishment period and leave the day before (rotten luck). They have to go down at some point and the long-term wellbeing of the ride is the main priority. Hopefully it could get pushed (for selfish reasons)

Yeh that is rotten luck. However, sometimes refurbs get finished earlier than expected (of course some also go on a little longer) so you might be in luck if you were to head to MK on one of your last days!

I have noticed that to be the case now you mention it so will just cross my fingers as it is a classic favourite and a welcome cool down on a hot day! MK is usually a final day tradition too, so will hope for the best!

Hearing/reading mutterings of Splash Mountain going down for refurbishment from August 28th to November 17th? Anybody know if there is any truth to this? Seems like a strange time to do a lengthy refurbishment of a wet ride in such a busy period? Understandable that rides like Splash, Space, etc will go under refurbishment for lengthy periods over next few years in anticipation for the 50th but it seems a strange time of year.
Welcome to participation in the IU Forums. :cheers::thumbsup:

Was closed Jan/Feb in both 2013 & 2014 when we were there. Therefore thought it goes down every year for 'refurb' (cost saving) when cold and not many customers?

Is that normal - therefore is this unusual? Safety changes?

Was closed Jan/Feb in both 2013 & 2014 when we were there. Therefore thought it goes down every year for 'refurb' (cost saving) when cold and not many customers?

Is that normal - therefore is this unusual? Safety changes?

It's a yearly thing, but doesnt have to go down at the same time each year. During the coldest and slowest parts is the typical plan, but for whatever reason they moved it around this year. M:S's refurb was said to be moved around to avoid overlapping Splash's closure, so there may be some schedule surprises still for this year.

It's a yearly thing, but doesnt have to go down at the same time each year. During the coldest and slowest parts is the typical plan, but for whatever reason they moved it around this year. M:S's refurb was said to be moved around to avoid overlapping Splash's closure, so there may be some schedule surprises still for this year.

It is always a hit and hope when you're booking that everything will be open or that refurbs are limited to rides with less draw, but these are the breaks. Splash did look a little tired on my last visit, so could do with some fixing up. It does seem like a long refurb so I hope it's for some decent improvement. I am anticipating the next few years will be full of lengthy refurbs, especially in MK.

Rode Splash on the 17th since it was back up from refurb. Wait was not bad (60 min) since we had no FP.
Ride was terrific, everything looked fresh and new! Some minor elements were not functional, but lighting and movements in the final scene were great.