Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser | Page 86 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Maybe if Disney+ comes up with an idea to make a show about Han Solo and Princes Lia going on a honeymoon on that space cruise ship (cgi characters and everything) and than blow it up in the end that would be as horrible an idea as most of them, right? I know it's even worse than the Ahsoka "story" line.

Maybe if Disney+ comes up with an idea to make a show about Han Solo and Princes Lia going on a honeymoon on that space cruise ship (cgi characters and everything) and than blow it up in the end that would be as horrible an idea as most of them, right? I know it's even worse than the Ahsoka "story" line.
Han and Leia honeymooning on the Starcruiser is technically canon from books already…

Think about the sheer amount of money that could've been saved between development, construction, operations if they had just made this a designated, separately ticketed, reasonably priced Star Wars dinner theater location to begin with.

Would it have been the craziest thing in the world? Maybe not, it probably could've been at least pretty neat with the fight effects and Disney budgeting on costumes and tech.

Would it have made its' money back immediately? Almost certainly imo.

Disney went and flew too close to the dual Tatooine suns.
Simply preposterous and unreasonable. I don't know why you think something like that would work.

Lighting a massive pile of money on fire and going through massive planning, designing, and build expenses to create a separate botique hotel that costs absurd amounts of money that no one can afford so it gets shuttered after a year is a much better business plan than realizing the already developed location/dinner theater that can be reused across two parks and taps into a built in evergreen market, thus cutting expenses and leveraging operational synergy.

May the farce be with us all (because a business school couldn't write a better cautionary scenario even as a joke.)

Last edited:
Reactions: SeventyOne
D’amaro on the Starcruiser and it’s failure:

“This is something that had never been done before. It was difficult to even explain to the public, and I think it was incredibly brave for us to move into this space. … And this, to me, says Imagineering is still at its best today.

Those learnings are being employed on the next experiences, which we haven’t even announced yet.”

“This is something that had never been done before. It was difficult to even explain to the public, and I think it was incredibly brave for us to move into this space. … And this, to me, says Imagineering is still at its best today.

Those learnings are being employed on the next experiences, which we haven’t even announced yet.”
We learned that $5,000 for a 2-night experience will shutter our hotel

We learned that $5,000 for a 2-night experience will shutter our hotel
I get the joke, but $2500 for a family of 3 or 4 all-inclusive isn't that far off from what DCL routinely gets.

The difference is DCL is the pinnacle of the family cruise market. This had tiny rooms for no reason, none of the truly "wow" moments you'd aspire to if you lived in Star Wars (igniting your own lightsaber to fight Vader, piloting the Millennium Falcon), and a lot of filler that I'm sure sounded ironically funny in brainstorming sessions but was never going to play in the real world (bingo, line dance classes). Throw in the "split family" problem--the spouse or teen or toddler sibling who has zero interest in this but also doesn't have a pool they can just hang at all day--and that LARPing remains a tiny niche much derided in pop culture (unfair as that may be), this was doomed to fail from inception.

I like Josh, I know he has to play the game, but the truth is the fact this thing had any hype at all shows how skilled his Marketing department is at manipulating the Disney media complex into doing whatever it asks of them. They played the influencers and Disney sites expertly, somehow making a dollar out of 15 cents. Unfortunately that was $4,999 too little.

A "standard" Star Wars-themed hotel (with more rooms) with immersive add-on upcharge experiences would have been a much bigger success than this thing.
Yes. Unfortunately, the people who came up with this idea, planned it, and carried it out, had little in the way of 'common sense'. Being a tech and engineering genius doesn't necessarily translate into the 'real' world..........In the real world, nearly every one of us said it had no chance of lasting more than a year or two, long before it even opened. It was really that obvious that there wasn't enough demand for what was offered, especially at that price.....I hate to use the word 'stupid' to describe what some people have done, but this project really justifies the usage of that word. I don't think any executives or Imagineers that were involved with this should be putting it on their resumes.

Last edited:
Yes. Unfortunately, the people who came up with this idea, planned it, and carried it out, had little in the way of 'common sense'. Being a tech and engineering genius doesn't necessarily translate into the 'real' world..........In the real world, nearly every one of us said it had no chance of lasting more than a year or two, long before it even opened. It was really that obvious that there wasn't enough demand for what was offered, especially at that price.....I hate to use the word 'stupid' to describe what some people have done, but this project really justifies the usage of that word.
"Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."

Like 71 said, it's corporate-speak; though D'Amaro is technically not wrong...

"I'm paying 5k for what now?!?" :lol:

There was a market, but they went all-in in the LARP side of things.

I think them either making it cheaper....or charging a little more but making it real Larping could work out

I think while its a dumb idea.....many times it can work out even if it is because there is always someone willing to pay for this...so I think this will come back and most likely something most of us see zero value in but could work they just need a better hook or better pricing

I think them either making it cheaper....or charging a little more but making it real Larping could work out

I think while its a dumb idea.....many times it can work out even if it is because there is always someone willing to pay for this...so I think this will come back and most likely something most of us see zero value in but could work they just need a better hook or better pricing
While they can theoretically lower the price, Disney had a financial goal with this project that can only be attained at a certain price point with the number of rooms they built.

I might be dumb - but what would be considered "real Larping"?

Unfortunately, the people who came up with this idea, planned it, and carried it out, had little in the way of 'common sense'.
It was basically a “Chapek says this is happening” project. It also suffered from concept art creep, aka when the inspiration boards and early drawings that are not based on any actual design vastly overstate what someone is actually signing off on. See Starcruiser lobby/rooms, Harmonious fountains that were supposed to “hide” the barges, Rivers of Light projections, etc.

Reactions: UniversalRBLX
While they can theoretically lower the price, Disney had a financial goal with this project that can only be attained at a certain price point with the number of rooms they built.
With this project but I'm saying next time they can build it different

Like I said they have two options i see

Charge about the same/more and have more larping (maybe make it only for a day or two as well....like less days but your days are filled with things you can do)

Or make it just a SW hotel with some special events that happen every now and then but mainly its a hotel themed to be in Star Wars

Like we all crap on this but some people are spending 500-700 bucks for the Disneyland hotel. So people are willing to throw down money even if the product is no where near that kinda value

Reactions: UniversalRBLX