Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser | Page 88 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I’m skipping to the end. Sorry :lol:
WqSSfNu7llGiQ.webp

Watched the video--it goes beyond simply "Disney was greedy"; it goes into how borked the entire experience is, and of the issues and headaches that plagued fundamental elements. Jenny actually gets angry at moments due to issues that seem like it could've been simple fixes (she also makes side-bar jabs at influencers too).

It's incredibly comprehensive study on how many pitfalls took place; and is worth the 4 hours.

Watched the video--it goes beyond simply "Disney was greedy"; it goes into how borked the entire experience is, and of the issues and headaches that plagued fundamental elements. Jenny actually gets angry at moments due to issues that seem like it could've been simple fixes (she also makes side-bar jabs at influencers too).

It's incredibly comprehensive study on how many pitfalls took place; and is worth the 4 hours.
I have not been able to dig into this one just yet, but I trust Jenny to not needlessly pad out her videos. Her 3 Hour Evermore video went incredibly deep and had an absolute ton of insight into the history, day-to-day operations, marketing, and accounts from Evermore employees for the entire niche project and I found it personally really entertaining.

I have grown to really dislike the trend of obscenely long Youtube video essays. I will hard pass on any of Quinton Reviews' 27 hour Nickelodeon deep dives. But I've found that when Defunctland or Jenny Nicholson post a multi-hour documentary they really mean it. I wouldn't completely dismiss it for the length.

I have not been able to dig into this one just yet, but I trust Jenny to not needlessly pad out her videos. Her 3 Hour Evermore video went incredibly deep and had an absolute ton of insight into the history, day-to-day operations, marketing, and accounts from Evermore employees for the entire niche project and I found it personally really entertaining.

I have grown to really dislike the trend of obscenely long Youtube video essays. I will hard pass on any of Quinton Reviews' 27 hour Nickelodeon deep dives. But I've found that when Defunctland or Jenny Nicholson post a multi-hour documentary they really mean it. I wouldn't completely dismiss it for the length.
Plus she’s been working on it since her experience on the Starcruiser. It’s taken her so long to film and edit, that the thing closed in the meantime, so at least now her video has a conclusion. It’s like making a Defunctland video in real time.

I’m looking forward to watching it, especially since I followed her tweets chronicling her stay in real time back when she went.

I watched it , took me a few breaks. My biggest take away was the experience itself could be really lackluster. This goes against a lot of the impressions I read online. Most reviews I read were glowing , and many felt the experience was one of the best things Disney ever did.

This video also discusses the obvious , that this was all just a paywall for the experiences originally promised when Galaxy’s Edge was announced. The hotel was a way for them to make a huge profit off the more personal experiences that should have been part of the land from the get go.

I never played the mobile game, but I can’t believe how lame it was . Especially compared to what’s come before it.

I watched it , took me a few breaks. My biggest take away was the experience itself could be really lackluster. This goes against a lot of the impressions I read online. Most reviews I read were glowing , and many felt the experience was one of the best things Disney ever did.
This is, imo, one of the two biggest issues with the whole thing. The story arc that ended with Yoda in the lightsaber training room was a massive wow. The moment in the "climate simulator" where one of the helper people "finds" the force in a kid was a massive wow. The in-room digital assistant was actually really advanced, but I doubt people picked up on it. I'm guessing a lot of people plodded along and ended up in some version of randomly turning knobs in the boiler room with Chewbacca looking over their shoulder.

Since I said two issues - the other was scheduling. Cruise ships work really well on a 3/4-night or 7-night schedule. This did not work on a 2-night schedule. Nobody is flying in from NY on the day of their Starcruiser check-in because if there's an issue and you show up at 10pm, you've missed half the show. It was, for all intents and purposes, 1.5 days of "stuff" when for the same price you could have 1 day of a VIP tour and go on all of the most popular rides on property.

This video also discusses the obvious , that this was all just a paywall for the experiences originally promised when Galaxy’s Edge was announced. The hotel was a way for them to make a huge profit off the more personal experiences that should have been part of the land from the get go.
Issue is it's impossible to scale personal experiences to a land that ingests 10,000+ people a day. I think the hotel showed it's really hard to do even in a very controlled environment with around 300 people every other day.

I'm skeptical "huge profit" was ever on the table for this - more "Bob C wants this so let's put together some plausible assumptions to make it pencil and just build it."

This is, imo, one of the two biggest issues with the whole thing. The story arc that ended with Yoda in the lightsaber training room was a massive wow. The moment in the "climate simulator" where one of the helper people "finds" the force in a kid was a massive wow. The in-room digital assistant was actually really advanced, but I doubt people picked up on it. I'm guessing a lot of people plodded along and ended up in some version of randomly turning knobs in the boiler room with Chewbacca looking over their shoulder.

Since I said two issues - the other was scheduling. Cruise ships work really well on a 3/4-night or 7-night schedule. This did not work on a 2-night schedule. Nobody is flying in from NY on the day of their Starcruiser check-in because if there's an issue and you show up at 10pm, you've missed half the show. It was, for all intents and purposes, 1.5 days of "stuff" when for the same price you could have 1 day of a VIP tour and go on all of the most popular rides on property.

Issue is it's impossible to scale personal experiences to a land that ingests 10,000+ people a day. I think the hotel showed it's really hard to do even in a very controlled environment with around 300 people every other day.

I'm skeptical "huge profit" was ever on the table for this - more "Bob C wants this so let's put together some plausible assumptions to make it pencil and just build it."

I’m not defending her opinion or yours, just describing what’s in the video. She apparently did not have a good time; despite trying really hard too. It appears the advanced story system and app did not work for her. She questions if it was because she was unlucky or if the game system was just broken. You can seen in the beginning of the video the in room droid crashed on her. Possible that had something to do with it ? Who knows. It’s obvious now this was a failure.

I mean, I guess to each their own, but I already know more about the Starcruiser than I need to. I don’t need a 4 hour video to add more to that lol.

What I AM interested in is what’s on the horizon to replace this?

I mean, I guess to each their own, but I already know more about the Starcruiser than I need to. I don’t need a 4 hour video to add more to that lol.

What I AM interested in is what’s on the horizon to replace this?

Yeah. Definitely not essential viewing or Anything remotely revealing. The biggest take away is the experience failed them. In multiple ways. The most humorous was being seated behind a concrete beam during the dinner show, and the overall lack of coherence to the story vs. what the actual real experience was.

She does point out some good reasons why it will be hard to create something new out of this building due to its limited common areas and lack of transportation options. The space was designed for this experience and the number of guests.

Also points out how its closure seemed unfair to the staff and actors involved.

Other than an expensive private dinner show with the lightsaber battle finale. Hard to see what comes next. Private meeting/catering events and storage are other ideas.

The video is done well enough that it earns its 4 hour runtime. A very thorough exploration of every aspect of the experience, highlighting what little went right in addition to so many things that went wrong. But that's the first 3 hours. The fourth is an expert take-down of influencers and online theme park commentators and a solid argument that the hubris of the Starcruiser is a metaphor for TWDC's current theme park philosophy in general. If you know the hotel backwards and forwards, still worth skipping ahead to that.