Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios)

For those wondering why SWL at DL is further along:

They had to start a little more earlier due to building codes to make sure buildings are Earthquake-proof. Basically, more work had to be done on their foundation compared to ours.

Those appear to be inside a building? Is that the battle attraction building??

Correct that's inside the Battle Escape showbuilding.

Better question: why are they built inside the building like that? I'm guessing it's a non-moving feature?

Yep, likely just a scenic element, non AA.

They had to start a little more earlier due to building codes to make sure buildings are Earthquake-proof. Basically, more work had to be done on their foundation compared to ours.

Yes and no. Disneyland is further along because the entire project is much larger than just Star Wars land. The rivers of america and train re-route is why they started so early. They needed those projects to be done by Summer 17. On top of that they had very little demo to do, the Circle D Ranch and some backstage warehouses. Earthquake proofing is not really any different time-wise than hurricane proofing is in Florida.

Last edited:

I was under the impression the EPCOT Building Codes used by Reedy Creek were some of the strictest in the world. But they also mandate consideration for alternative concepts/materials.. which moreso seems to explain why WDW moves slower.

I was under the impression the EPCOT Building Codes used by Reedy Creek were some of the strictest in the world. But they also mandate consideration for alternative concepts/materials.. which moreso seems to explain why WDW moves slower.

Correct, they have to dig down much deeper in FL for structural support. Considering how much of this attraction takes place underground (aka the giant pool), might explain why they're going slow and steady.

Wait, there's a pool? *didn't know that.. or what it refers to*

A term used on west coast for a giant underground basement they built under the Escape attraction. Called the pool because it looks like... a pool.

I think it's just because the current status of the building in DHS looks like a huge in ground pool. Not that it's an actual pool.

Basically.

Funny thing is the lands are essentially copies of each other with a unique shell on the outside. That way the space ports will be the same yet different.

Also so both rides are trackless... Battle one will basically be much like other trackless disney rides with large physical sets and loads of AA's. The MF ride will be a trackless variation of TSMM crossed with Spiderman. That sound right?

Funny thing is the lands are essentially copies of each other with a unique shell on the outside. That way the space ports will be the same yet different.

Also so both rides are trackless... Battle one will basically be much like other trackless disney rides with large physical sets and loads of AA's. The MF ride will be a trackless variation of TSMM crossed with Spiderman. That sound right?

Is that first part speculation, or something you've heard? Everything I've heard from the "insiders" is that the lands, in both substance and aesthetics, will virtually be clones of each other, but the transition areas into and out of the lands will be different on each coast.

As for the Falcon ride, you may be correct, although I'd be surprised if the ride vehicle ends up roaming through extensive sets like on Spidey. In terms of the experience as viewed by the guest, I'm expecting it to be closer to Star Tours than anything else, even if the ride system is substantially different.

Is that first part speculation, or something you've heard? Everything I've heard from the "insiders" is that the lands, in both substance and aesthetics, will virtually be clones of each other, but the transition areas into and out of the lands will be different on each coast

West Coast you walk under the berm/DL Railroad and ascend up into Star Wars Land. East coast you walk through a rockwork tunnel but on level ground. Very similar..

Lets not post too many photo updates of SWL at Disneyland in this thread, otherwise it could start to get pretty confusing for anyone casually visiting here! However I am super excited and do like to keep an eye on the progress over there. This project is going to seem like forever, especially since I was going to wait for my next visit to Orlando when this is open :doh:

SWL will be amazing, no doubt. Mice Chat does a really good job of keeping up with SWL construction at Disneyland. They generally have a photo update on Fridays and when they do their regular Disneyland photo updates, they have an interactive before and after map. While the two lands (DHS & Disneyland) are relative clones, there's some differences in arrangement of buildings on the two projects.

You probably know more but I always heard the opposite.

Lets not post too many photo updates of SWL at Disneyland in this thread, otherwise it could start to get pretty confusing for anyone casually visiting here! However I am super excited and do like to keep an eye on the progress over there. This project is going to seem like forever, especially since I was going to wait for my next visit to Orlando when this is open :doh:

I agree with no Disneyland photos. I saw the photos with the AT-AT's and wondered how DHS' SWL had progressed so quickly. Thought I had been in a time warp.

I agree with no Disneyland photos. I saw the photos with the AT-AT's and wondered how DHS' SWL had progressed so quickly. Thought I had been in a time warp.
Since what is going there will essentially be coming here, I see nothing wrong with posting Disneyland pics here, but they need to be clearly marked as such. That is why I posted my thoughts yesterday, clearly stating that we were looking at photos from the other coast, in case anyone assumed it was here.

Not only are they ahead of us, but there are far more clearer vantage points to see their construction than we have here. Unfortunately, other than areal photography, there's never going to be clear photographs of our construction like the AT-AT shots we saw yesterday. (And they were the most interesting and illuminating photos we've seen yet for Star Wars land, so I can't imagine what it would've been like to miss them honestly.)

Now having said that, we don't need daily DL updates like we get in the VB thread. But every now and then when something this monumental comes up, I see nothing wrong with sharing it here.