Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance (DHS)

So looking at on site hotels the opening week pretty much everything is sold out, yet the park is only open until 9 with EMH for an hour 1 day a week. 4 hours less of running time for a park and land that is gonna be jammed.

Disney has 36,000 hotel rooms on site alone , most of which should be occupied, Lets assume each room has on average 3 people. That's 108,000 people. Lets assume the average trip is 4 days and people will ride this once on the trip. That's a possibly needed capacity of 27,000 people a day or 2,250 per hour for just on site guests alone. Now we could take away from that needed capacity number for younger/older guests or longer trips where people still only go once, but I think at least for a while we could assume other guests are packing hotel rooms full and making short trips just to get on this ride. Now consider the fact that not even weekday select passes are blocked out (besides weekends) until Dec 19th and we don't know how many people are staying off site coming to get on the ride as well and think about how terrible this opening is going to be.

As I have probably said before the blame the guest for booking a vacation just to ride this argument is mostly nonsense. I understand unforeseen technical difficulties happen sometimes, but the park announced a hard opening date and is so far seemingly doing almost nothing to manage capacity of this ride. There is just no reason that they cannot afford to pay people to staff at least star wars land an extra 4 hours a day at least for the first few weeks after opening. There is no reason they cannot look at their bookings and do assigned entry times to on site guests followed by other groups way ahead of times. They are just greedy with greedy money extracting shareholders who need to see long lines. If I am a guest staying multiple days at one of THE MOST expensive parks in the world and Disney does not manage capacity or give a specific warning about limited operations for this ride in time for me to change plans you are damn straight I expect to get on this ride and would pretty much want to get comped a day if I could not. It sure as hell isn't the guest's fault that Disney screwed up offering extra magic hours too early in the year before the whole land was open and now feels the need to cheap out.

Now maybe they make some last minute adjustments but given how far out people make trips it seems doubtful. Maybe they are just lying about the hotels being sold out but I just cant see it at least for the first few weeks.
...and it will be an even worst scenario if the ride has major tech difficulties and considerable downtime, as some of our insiders are predicting.

...and it will be an even worst scenario if the ride has major tech difficulties and considerable downtime, as some of our insiders are predicting.
Managing expectations and then over delivering is one of the staples of well executed service. They have less than no margin for error to start with.

I feel bad for the employees that have to cover for the company.

no, we don’t want disney to fail at all....

Everything is the end of the world until it isn’t. How about we wait to see what actually happens.

I recall the opening of Hagirds not being nearly as negative despite all the problems.

Get a grip folks.

no, we don’t want disney to fail at all....

Everything is the end of the world until it isn’t. How about we wait to see what actually happens.

I recall the opening of Hagirds not being nearly as negative despite all the problems.

Get a grip folks.
The difference upon opening is universal doesn't have 36k on site hotel room guests trying to get on the same ride. They have way more room for downtime even if it still means long lines and a greater willingness to be honest with guests.

Yes they do this these days because they are greedy jerks, but in this case with the opening you are only compounding your capacity issues from one day to another when you already sold out. A guest relations nightmare and crowd control measures are also costs, but Disney seems to have no problem forcing their employees to take the heat for their cheapness these days.
Having the parks open at 6am for big openings is a luxury that Disney didn’t even start doing until Pandora opened. You are not entitled those hours and tbh you sound like a huge jerk right now.

The park opening at 8 or 9 is normal and what I’d expect.

Having the parks open at 6am for big openings is a luxury that Disney didn’t even start doing until Pandora opened. You are not entitled those hours and tbh you sound like a huge jerk right now.

The park opening at 8 or 9 is normal and what I’d expect.
Nonsense. This is one of the most expensive parks in the world. Disney used to have open magic kingdom until midnight a bunch sometimes later before the upcharge events even though there weren't as many people years ago. Disneyland in Cali has no problems being open regularly earlier and later than this and no one finds this unreasonable. Being a jerk is being mean to park employees or other guests because you feel entitled and blame them for things they do not control. It is not expecting an extremely sucessful and profitable company to spend some additional money to staff parks accordingly for when they have a lot of demand. I am not even saying they should have this park open from 6am to 10pm in eternity but to not at least do it for the weeks after opening given their resources is just cheap. It would also not be as much of a problem if capacity for new rides kept up for demand and new hotel rooms.

Honestly, I’d imagine that RotR won’t be capable of running from 6AM-10PM on a daily basis when it first opens, so they may be operating on the logic that having those extra hours for maintenance will result in more reliable uptime throughout the day.

I also can’t think of a new ride that Disney’s closed the queue off early for during normal park hours, so the ride will probably be running until at least an hour after park close every day.

So are we expecting them to control the crowds outside of the land via the boarding passes to maintain a non-ridiculous (Pandora) type queue for ROTR?

So are we expecting them to control the crowds outside of the land via the boarding passes to maintain a non-ridiculous (Pandora) type queue for ROTR?

Honestly? No clue, I think they'd just have a line for the ride and that's it. The boarding pass was worries about over crowding in the whole land, not just one ride.

I’m honestly looking forward to this ride when we go on the 10th (we booked before the opening date was given.) I just hope the crowds/lines aren’t killer by the time we go.

I wouldn't think so. Universal didn't restrict access to Hogsmeade when Hagrid's new coaster opened. They just made a really really really really long queue for it. I'm expecting Disney to do the same here. They could run the line back out into Grand Avenue if necessary, but restricting access to the whole land would hurt food/beverage/merchandise sales.

I’m honestly looking forward to this ride when we go on the 10th (we booked before the opening date was given.) I just hope the crowds/lines aren’t killer by the time we go.

This ride is going to be unreal. Guessing it jumps up to best attraction at WDW.

This ride is going to be unreal. Guessing it jumps up to best attraction at WDW.

Yup, I suspect it will safely be in everybody’s top 3.

As a Star Wars fan for my entire life I’m expecting this to make me cry

After all that's happened with SWGE maybe raising expectations so high isn't the best idea?

@Marni over at MAGIC is saying that Disney is preparing for a week delay with RotR if necessary, but are hoping they won't need it.

I wonder if the week delay is to get both drop shafts working.