Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance (DHS) | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance (DHS)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Just as when DAK was built, Universal is worried about cannibalization with the 3rd park. If they had the space, they would much, much rather expand the existing parks. Unfortunately (at least they consider it unfortunate), they have to expand further in order to maintain healthy growth.

D23 2017 caused some alarm bells to go off inside Universal. They're taking a wait and see approach to Disney's pipeline. The thinking is that UOR may lose substantial market share as they are not the market leader. If Disney's projects have an adverse effect on UOR, and the Orlando market shifts heavily in Disney's favor, it will have an impact on future Orlando investment from Universal. I dare say, contrary to what many have said, the third gate budget is not locked down.

Whether it is a positive impact or a negative impact is up to the statisticians and what level of investment they feel will generate the best return on investment.

Other than the D23 bit, most of this does not line-up in any way with what I've heard and/or know.

Other than the D23 bit, most of this does not line-up in any way with what I've heard and/or know.
All I can say is my source and I go way back, and everything they've said to me has been accurate since they've been in a position to know. I have no reason to doubt them.

If you've heard differently perhaps DM me and maybe we can determine where there's a lapse in understanding.

All I can say is my source and I go way back, and everything they've said to me has been accurate since they've been in a position to know. I have no reason to doubt them.

If you've heard differently perhaps DM me and maybe we can determine where there's a lapse in understanding.

This information comes from more than 1. I have no reason to doubt the number of them. Either way, there's no need to DM and just leave it as a disagreement, respectfully. Let's get this thread back to Star Wars talk, eh?

Reactions: Orlandofan12
Back to Star Wars. I just rewatched The Last Jedi thinking that I may have misjudged it on my first viewing and I hated it even more this time.

With Episode 9 releasing around the time this is expecting to open in Orlando, I wonder how much of an effect this could have on the land if Episode 9 bombs.

Reactions: Orlandofan12
Back to Star Wars. I just rewatched The Last Jedi thinking that I may have misjudged it on my first viewing and I hated it even more this time.

With Episode 9 releasing around the time this is expecting to open in Orlando, I wonder how much of an effect this could have on the land if Episode 9 bombs.

0%

The hate on Last Jedi, though real, was played up by the media & social media. The movie was still the #1 movie of 2017, and even after all the hate, was the #1 home video release of the year.

People genuinely like JJ's style. I think it'll do just fine. It'll be a fun movie guaranteed given his track record. Plus, I bet he retcons Rey's family backstory to appease people's complaints too.

#1 home video release of the year.
For me personally, I bought the movie just to maintain a full set. Similar to @Scott W. my opinion of the film has only gone down. And it wasn't very high to begin with.

Solo was a much better film. Not fantastic, but much better. I hope to God that JJ turns this trilogy around with the final film.

Reactions: therock
For me personally, I bought the movie just to maintain a full set. Similar to @Scott W. my opinion of the film has only gone down. And it wasn't very high to begin with.

Solo was a much better film. Not fantastic, but much better. I hope to God that JJ turns this trilogy around with the final film.

I think this sums up it perfectly for me. Given that this land is going to be based on the newer movies, it’s leaving me little to care about story wise but I know that disney are going to knock it out the park with the rides, theming and experience.

As I’m getting older, there is less and less IPs I care about heading into the parks. I can’t remember the last IP that I was truly excited about an getting a ride built.

there's no need to DM

Ouch.

If the consensus isn't that this is the best dark ride in the country when it opens, I will be SHOCKED. People have preferences, and for some it won't be exactly what they're looking for, but the budget for this attraction is colossal and the scale is really extraordinary. It's certainly the most ambitious ride Disney has done stateside in a long, long time. As with every ride, it won't please everybody, but I imagine it will be number 1 for a lot of people.

Unfortunately, you're seeing a lot of negative comments on here regarding ROTR by partisan Universal fans.

I'm someone who enjoys both Disney & Universal for different reasons. I remember how blown away I was the 1st time I rode FJ. Thankfully, I refused to watch any videos of the ride online and it was tough considering I rode it in 2016 at USH and the attraction had existed for years in Orlando. Never had I ridden anything like that in my life.

How can anyone say that this does not look groundbreaking?

So far, it looks spectacular. Nothing like it anywhere, especially stateside.

It's funny that Disneyhead is complaining that this ride not Spiderman motion-wise, and it will be a snoozefest because of it's RV tech. :crazy:

Question. How many AA's does Spiderman have?

Ouch.

Unfortunately, you're seeing a lot of negative comments on here regarding ROTR by partisan Universal fans.

I'm someone who enjoys both Disney & Universal for different reasons. I remember how blown away I was the 1st time I rode FJ. Thankfully, I refused to watch any videos of the ride online and it was tough considering I rode it in 2016 at USH and the attraction had existed for years in Orlando. Never had I ridden anything like that in my life.

It's funny that Disneyhead is complaining that this ride not Spiderman motion-wise, and it will be a snoozefest because of it's RV tech. :crazy:

Groundbreaking? Not really, it's not adding a new level of theming beyond what Pandora has achieved or HP. The RV tech could be an issue and result in a ride 'thrill' experience closer to an omnimover than Spider-Man or Dinosaur.

I don't think people are being negative but more giving their criticisms but I don't think there is anybody here who isn't excited for this land to open. I'm more excited for this than the HP coaster but I can't wait for both.

In one of the videos I watched about this ride, I think they said there would around 50+ storm trooper AAs?

I don't think anybody really knows right now. I've heard upwards of 100+ AAs and as low as a few but this offers up the debate about what counts as an AA? Do 100 Stormtroopers in formation turning their heads and fake breathing count?

Reactions: natespf and SkiBum
In one of the videos I watched about this ride, I think they said there would around 50+ storm trooper AAs?
But if all they do is turn their heads, is it really that spectacular or ground breaking? I mean, Small World accomplishes that.

I think there is just a tempering of expectations here. RotR, so far that we know, doesn’t actually feature any new tech. It’s a trackless vehicle with a Spider-Man gimbal. It combines animatronics with screens. This is all, really, known tech. Because it’s known tech, there’s potential for the ride to be exactly what we expect. There is also the potential everything “clicks” on the innovation front and it surpasses the Spider-Man experience.

Nobody here is saying the ride will be bad. I think most of the discussion is fairly realistic based on what is known.

And I’ll acknowledge that a “rotating pre-show” is pretty cool. But, I doubt it will have the same “WOW” of the original Poseidon’s Fury. I also expect most tourists won’t really notice. Conceptually, it’s the Seas Hydrolift 2.0.

Reactions: rastuso
But if all they do is turn their heads, is it really that spectacular or ground breaking? I mean, Small World accomplishes that.

I think there is just a tempering of expectations here. RotR, so far that we know, doesn’t actually feature any new tech. It’s a trackless vehicle with a Spider-Man gimbal. It combines animatronics with screens. This is all, really, known tech. Because it’s known tech, there’s potential for the ride to be exactly what we expect. There is also the potential everything “clicks” on the innovation front and it surpasses the Spider-Man experience.

Nobody here is saying the ride will be bad. I think most of the discussion is fairly realistic based on what is known.

And I’ll acknowledge that a “rotating pre-show” is pretty cool. But, I doubt it will have the same “WOW” of the original Poseidon’s Fury. I also expect most tourists won’t really notice. Conceptually, it’s the Seas Hydrolift 2.0.

Heck, I like the "new" Poseidon's Fury. Can't believe there's people calling for it to be closed.

Further, the "wow" moment of Spiderman was a ride vehicle that did some serious movements as it traveled through set pieces. To me, it will take something like Dynamic Attration's new coaster (mixing coaster and what seems to be a Spiderman ride vehicle) to establish something new. The potential though for RotR is to be the kind of ride that one cannot experience enough and will keep guests coming back. Even Falcon has that potential although it could end up being just a better version of Star Tours, which would still be a great ride.

Personally, I don't know that it is completely fair to compare Avatar to SWL for Disney. One was set up to be a feast for the eyes (which didn't necessarily work for me). The other is to take us to a galaxy that most of us have been very familiar with for most of our lives. The music, the look of the land, and the characters are all pretty well known. Plus, RotR is a true dark ride that seems to have a purpose. Someone mentioned earlier that River Journey does as well but it doesn't seem to really function as a story-telling ride. It's more of a tame tour of a forest with no real storyline to it.

Disney has shown they're much better at fusing screens with real sets and animatronics. This has the ability to be a perfect ride if it all comes together as it should.

Disney has shown they're much better at fusing screens with real sets and animatronics. This has the ability to be a perfect ride if it all comes together as it should.

Screen technology has moved on so much in the last 20 years. The upgrade to Spider-Man beyond the upgraded graphics, allowed for a far better integration between the set and screen.

Ouch.

The number of AAs has nothing to do with the quality of the ride. How many AAs does Flight of Passage have? I will never understand people's valuation of AAs.

And my concern is like what would Transformers be like if they used Empire of the Penguin's ride vehicles?

The number of AAs has nothing to do with the quality of the ride. How many AAs does Flight of Passage have? I will never understand people's valuation of AAs.

And my concern is like what would Transformers be like if they used Empire of the Penguin's ride vehicles?
As I've stated before, there are 3 separate ride systems at work in this ride: LPS, high speed elevators, and motion platforms. The LPS vehicles themselves don't have a large range of motion, but when paired with the motion platforms they are more than capable of Spiderman-like movements.

It's a really balanced dark ride. It has many similarities to Transformers/Spiderman, but it's not replicating their "non-stop action" formula. It's doing it's own thing.

Well I agree with people's criticism of FOP and how it's basically a SCREENZ ride with no AA's. It's a good ride, but not the best.

You don't understand people's valuation of AA's. Ok. Let me ask you this. What would you prefer. Putting a bunch of screens on a ride devoid of AA's as opposed to fully-dimensional AA's that fuses science and art with thoughtfully implemented screens?

It's why Universal is shifting away from screen-based attractions and moving more towards practical sets with AA's such as SNW. They have received negative guest feedback and they don't want to lose more market share to the Mouse.

I'll grant you this. When you put it that way, I can see how a lack of thrill can be a downer about ROTR. But the way I envision the ride is that there where will stretches of calm, as well as more intense movement, especially towards the finale. Not Transformer level, but more like Indy level thrills.

PS: Have you seen the latest advances in AA?