Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance (DHS)

That’s pretty cool. I was expecting two doors for sure, so already surpassing my expectations.
And just to supplement the tale, I found a pic of the turntable from an old bio aerial (towards bottom right).
Note: it looks very similar to the 4 turntables used on the Falcon attraction (you can see 2 Falcon turntables in the top left of the image), but is definitely not part of the Falcon attraction.
DJODKmNXYAAQF_i.jpg:large

And just to supplement the tale, I found a pic of the turntable from an old bio aerial (towards bottom right).
Note: it looks very similar to the 4 turntables used on the Falcon attraction (you can see 2 Falcon turntables in the top left of the image), but is definitely not part of the Falcon attraction.
DJODKmNXYAAQF_i.jpg:large
So amazing! Thank you.

Here’s to hoping they didn’t spend all the money on the queue and that the ride turns out to be good
If the consensus isn't that this is the best dark ride in the country when it opens, I will be SHOCKED. People have preferences, and for some it won't be exactly what they're looking for, but the budget for this attraction is colossal and the scale is really extraordinary. It's certainly the most ambitious ride Disney has done stateside in a long, long time. As with every ride, it won't please everybody, but I imagine it will be number 1 for a lot of people.

If the consensus isn't that this is the best dark ride in the country when it opens, I will be SHOCKED. People have preferences, and for some it won't be exactly what they're looking for, but the budget for this attraction is colossal and the scale is really extraordinary. It's certainly the most ambitious ride Disney has done stateside in a long, long time. As with every ride, it won't please everybody, but I imagine it will be number 1 for a lot of people.

The budget for Pandora was colossal too and I think that’s a giant turd. I just want disney to really wow me again

I just get the feeling they are spending LOTS of money on "immersion" that will fly over the heads of all but the most ravenous fans. Sorta like the Falcon ride. Let's build a massive dome that most rides can only see about 20% of, and then lets generate the movie real time, and a resolution most won't even be able to see. The video released already seems like the "interaction" is just barely a step above space, with the pilot moving a lever instead of pushing a button.

As for rotating a preshow room so you exit the same as you enter, again, that seems to be a detail that no one will care about.

Sorta reminds me of all the brouhaha about "floating" mountains, and how Pandora's night time lighting will blow people's minds. Then let's have a tiny boat ride that makes completely no sense.

The budget for Pandora was colossal too and I think that’s a giant turd. I just want disney to really wow me again

Finally, someone who is with me on Pandora.

I'm sorry, but FoP is Soarin with the screen closer, and mechanical movement between your legs on a vehicle that doesn't remotely resemble a flying creature.

Finally, someone who is with me on Pandora.

I'm sorry, but FoP is Soarin with the screen closer, and mechanical movement between your legs on a vehicle that doesn't remotely resemble a flying creature.

Definitely makes me feel better about this ride if you weren’t impressed with FOP. I got on it a few months after everyone hyped it up, and thought I had to have ridden the wrong ride or something

Even non Diznoids seemed to be gaga over it. My wife thought it was incredible. BUT, she is not a big thrill rider, and doesn't do big coasters, and usually skips Forbidden Journey.

FoP is a ride for the masses. Grandmas will be amazed by the "breathing". Anyone who doesn't know what 4k looks like will be amazed by the detail (unless they look to the edges).

Diznoids will practically soil themselves, leaving in tears of the raw emotion of a 4 minute movie with no talking, no plot, and doesn't address that your bird continues to take huge plunges. DAMN, we must start on the top of some unbelievably high peak on Pandora that somehow isn't covered in snow.

You tell me what it'll take to wow you, and I'll tell you if it will deliver.

I expect no less than Spider-man moving points of convergence on every screen (not static stuff like Ratatouille), tons of moving animatrons, a few top level ones of major characters (without glowing faces), and fully realized practical sets (I'm sure it'll have this).

The level of hype for this ride should mean it will deliver all of this. After all, moving points of convergence is 20 year old technology. It's about damn time Disney uses it.

But, I don't want another Pandora ride with zero story, and it end up being more of a "hey look, here's a room with AT-ATs that don't move, but have projections on them, and a bunch of minimal movement snowtroopers yelling "get off my lawn". And this is where I just can't see it delivering. Maybe they can pull off a light saber duel scene, and Sith telekinesis crumbling of a room around you, and if they do, I'll be truly amazed.

I have an extremely high bar for this ride. It's clearly the BIG ride, as the other one is Star Tours 3.0. It's been 20 years since Spiderman and 25 since Indiana Jones were developed. There is no reason this ride shouldn't be the true raising of the bar both of those rides were.

Last edited:
I expect no less than Spider-man moving points of conversion on every screen (not static stuff like Ratatouille), tons of moving animatrons, a few top level ones of major characters (without glowing faces), and fully realized practical sets (I'm sure it'll have this).
You should be more than happy. FYI, Ratatouille does have moving eye point also known as parallax, when the RVs enter and leave the room the video adjusts to compensate. As does Shanghai's Pirates. This ride will be no exception. In fact, they've really taken the parallax tech to the next level with this ride with some really innovative AI.

Perhaps even more mind-blowing is this is the first room you come to after leaving the ship. (Yes, this room is queue!)
latest

This actually concerns me a little.

There had better be sets of similar scale and impressiveness in the actual ride experience itself. And those stormtroopers are hopefully not the 50 AAs we've been promised on the ride, either.

So I am having trouble following how the ride will work or what the story is. The rotating ship is preshow? Why do we enter and then leave before the actual ride? And why is it important to leave through the same door we enter? After that, we proceed to the real ride? And what is that supposed to be like?

It sounds awesome!! I just can't piece it together in my mind. Thanks in advance for your answers.

You should be more than happy. FYI, Ratatouille does have moving eye point also known as parallax, when the RVs enter and leave the room the video adjusts to compensate. As does Shanghai's Pirates. This ride will be no exception. In fact, they've really taken the parallax tech to the next level with this ride with some really innovative AI.

Ratatouille has some basic effects as you enter and leave some rooms, but definitely not moving points of convergence, because there are multiple points of convergence, since there are multiple ride vehicles in front of the same screen.

NOt sure about shanghai, as I haven't ridden it, but I understand it as having huge screens that are more like simulator screens, so again, not really moving points of convergence.

This ride SHOULD have better tech, although the HD version of Spider-man isn't too old, so I'll be very impressed if it is a step above that. To me, it HAS to be, or Disney has completely lost its mojo. They know Universal has taken them to the woodshed, which is why there is such unprecedented ride construction going on now. They have to show they are ready to play ball. A Ratatouille clone and a clone of a very poorly themed TRON coaster that has essentially no TRON theming don't bode well.

I expect this ride to use the same tech as SHanghai Pirates for the screens. Which apparently is a good thing, and the only real modern masterpiece Disney has made. Mixed in with some Mystic Manor effects, and it should be a great ride. One with a 4 hour line for a year or more, yay!

Remember when Universal was horrible for being all screens. Wait, that's still what people say.

It's quite a bit more elaborate than the Gringotts elevators. I would definitely say it's most elaborate pre-show of any ride on the planet. The lengths they've gone to are actually really surprising. If you go back to early construction photos you can see a massive circular structure being built very close to the Alcatraz show building. This is a gigantic turntable. They are going to rotate the whole ship 180 degrees just so that you leave the ship through the same door you entered through. They could've easily put two doors on opposite sides, do the simulation, and walk out the opposing door, without much damage to the story, but it was too much damage for them.

Does it deserve the designation of a separate ride? No. But, it will be very, very special.
I remember the "elevator" at Kennywood's ark attraction did that

Sooooo...

If we take the carrier up to the Star Destroyer from Batuu as the preshow... how do we get back to the planet surface?

Perhaps that is part of the main ride somehow? Like our little trackless ride vehicle being driven by a droid enters an escape pod and we fly our way back down? (Or even better crash land our way down in the burning wreckage of the star destroyer we destroy from the inside during our escape.) Using a full motion base and simulator screen tunnel section like Kong 360, so has more motion capability than the trackless RV can handle.

Would make for one heck of a finale.

This way we unload on the planet without having to board the carrier again for the way down.

Where were you guys when everyone was proclaiming FoP the best ride in Orlando if not ever and I said it was basically BTTF 2.0? :lol:

Anyway, I have no doubt Star Wars will be incredible. Everything about it so far seems like it will be one of their most jaw-droppingly immersive attractions ever.