Super Nintendo World (Osaka) | Page 103 | Inside Universal Forums

Super Nintendo World (Osaka)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
@Alicia mentioned a theatre possibly, if it’s restrooms that’s disappointing hahaha, but I also don’t see where the other restrooms are.

If it’s a theatre of ant kind I’d imagine a Dreamworks theatre type theatre, I don’t feel a stage show could fit in that space.
There's bathrooms down there too, I think to the right of said possible theater space.

The land looks incredible. I would much rather have a small land with something to look at and do in every square inch than "the biggest land expansion in the world" with no kinetic energy, dead spaces, and literally nothing to do.... *cough*cough*swge*

I would rather have a 5 min slow moving dark ride with tons of scenes and sets than a 2 min thrill ride..

I have a scared feeling that this land is gonna receive bad press upon opening.. Everyone's a size queen.. but it's not the size that matters, its what you do with the land that leaves a lasting impression.

Some are disappointed they are opening the land with only a fab 6 but I imagine them introducing new characters down the line to keep people coming. Like how the Disney parks in Asia bring new Duffy n friends characters, I would imagine campaigns like "Super Nintendo World Welcomes Wario" with new food, a power up band, character meet n greet, new popcorn flavor/bucket, merch etc.. They could do a campaign/celebration w each of the characters in time and people would eat it up.

QUESTION: Does anybody know how filming MK POVs will work? There isn't a way to get the AR tech through the camera is there? This also worries me ... if they don't find a way to show the AR through ride POVs, the initial reactions to the attraction might not be great.. Hoping they didn't rely on the AR too much.

Some are disappointed they are opening the land with only a fab 6 but I imagine them introducing new characters down the line to keep people coming. Like how the Disney parks in Asia bring new Duffy n friends characters, I would imagine campaigns like "Super Nintendo World Welcomes Wario" with new food, a power up band, character meet n greet, new popcorn flavor/bucket, merch etc.. They could do a campaign/celebration w each of the characters in time and people would eat it up.
I had a similar thought before. I think they could eventually do this with non-Mario characters. I think Kirby (inevitable mention coming from me :v) and Isabelle could be decent starters for that, like “Other Nintendo friends come to visit Super Nintendo World!”

I have a scared feeling that this land is gonna receive bad press upon opening.. Everyone's a size queen.. but it's not the size that matters, its what you do with the land that leaves a lasting impression.
Just watching some impressions from gaming Youtubers and yeah...This one guy assumed the direct would show at least three to four rides (I think he may have been under the impression it was a full park) and was holding out hope that Zelda and Kriby stuff might still be in the land. Another called the Mario Kart ride, "an AR ride, like Transformers or Harry Potter,"

Obviously, these aren't theme park people. But for some, the Nintendo in the name is overselling expectations. For others, long-held assumptions about Universal's lack of commitment is underselling the land.

What may have helped would have been briefly exploring each element of the land rather than focusing mostly on food, merch, and interactive elements. Two months out from the land's opening, people shouldn't be confused as to whether this is a screen ride or a rollercoaster.

On another note, this confusion has made me wonder if people who casually visit parks just don't have much experience with classic dark rides these days? Maybe when you're going to a Universal or Disney during the summer, the three to five rides you're trying to hit are often not classic dark rides?

Just watching some impressions from gaming Youtubers and yeah...This one guy assumed the direct would show at least three to four rides (I think he may have been under the impression it was a full park) and was holding out hope that Zelda and Kriby stuff might still be in the land. Another called the Mario Kart ride, "an AR ride, like Transformers or Harry Potter,"

Obviously, these aren't theme park people. But for some, the Nintendo in the name is overselling expectations. For others, long-held assumptions about Universal's lack of commitment is underselling the land.

What may have helped would have been briefly exploring each element of the land rather than focusing mostly on food, merch, and interactive elements. Two months out from the land's opening, people shouldn't be confused as to whether this is a screen ride or a rollercoaster.

On another note, this confusion has made me wonder if people who casually visit parks just don't have much experience with classic dark rides these days? Maybe when you're going to a Universal or Disney during the summer, the three to five rides you're trying to hit are often not classic dark rides?

While I agree with what you say, the exact same thing happened with Potter. It was widely advertised as a 'new Harry Potter Theme Park' and it still turned out allright.

It's only when the media talk about something you have a basic knowledge of that you realise how much rubbish they make up/get wrong/are too lazy to google.

Last edited:

I certainly believe these "mega lands" need to be more fleshed out at first with more than 1 or 2 rides. The reason why it was fine with Diagon Alley is because the retail experience was part of bringing the content to life, and to the international guest and general GP (lol) the rebrand of the other attractions in hogsmeade was a sell, and the attractions themselves did under go enough change to be presented as new, refreshed and thematically in line attractions. Diagon alley is nothing but a wizard's shopping mall, so emulating that worked thematically. In other words, The stores themselves are taken as an attraction by the guest, even if a purchase isn't made. That, plus the unmatched experience of being able to take the train to hogwarts makes DA feel like a much bigger expansion than it actually is. It's why potter worked so well.

What worries me about SNW is power up bands cost money to take part of a major portion of what is going to make the land work, and even has some effect on your on ride experience on the main attraction...

Basically, if you don't buy one, the only "full" experience you seem to get is Yoshi... And it'll be a lot less subtle than the wands in Potter, and even has the potential to reach levels of bad beyond SW:GE at launch. It's one thing to have a show with well put together merch behind a paywall, but you're talking about things that are going to be REALLY in your face in the land.

For everyone who doesn't buy one, you basically get to look at a bunch of cool things but you end up missing out on participation, and there are only two rides, one of which you will perhaps have a hampered experience on. Guest reception to the upsell is going to be a major factor here in satisfaction of the land, and perhaps they should have built DK along side MK and Yoshi to offer a more complete experience to guest who might not opt in to purchase the bands. The "we'll do that next time" would be buying the bands, rather than the additional attraction. For those uninterested for whatever reason in purchasing the bands, I don't know if MK and Yoshi will do it alone, and I'm considering MK to essentially be RotR tier, But I'm also expecting Yoshi to be much less of a ride experience than MFSR. Considering it is rumored additional properties will be represented later in SNW, The first impression of the land and a major representation of Universal's brand moving forward is now hinging on what might become a major PR issue in "I didn't know we had to buy something to do all the activities, there's only one major ride and a kiddie ride, I already paid to enter the park", "They said it was a world , not just 2 rides and a game I had to pay to play on top of my ticket to the park".

And trust and believe, I get exactly why they would "spread it out", regarding the rumored expansion, But you can also argue that they might be leaving money on the table and hindering growth of the land and the park and the brand by playing it too safe (or greedy, if you see it that way).

I have full faith in the ability of Nintendo and UC and trust they know what they are doing.

But, For all of these reasons, I don't believe SNW will emulate the retail surge of Diagon or Hogsmeade. It'll still do well, for sure. But the biggest of ships require multiple anchors. Is Mario Kart alone going to tide over guest who aren't playing the games? It will be a financial success regardless, I'm sure... but how satisfied will the customers who visit be? If I had to sit in the chair, I wouldn't have left guest satisfaction and my relationship with the only brand with enough recognition to help me take care of my mouse problem, and the reputation of a whole land with this much hype hinge on scenic, retail and concession experiences and 1 major ride.

Reactions: Pacific
If I had to sit in the chair, I wouldn't have left guest satisfaction and my relationship with the only brand with enough recognition to help me take care of my mouse problem, and the reputation of a whole land with this much hype hinge on scenic, retail and concession experiences and 1 major ride.

That was Hogsmeade when it first opened. An they did just more than just fine. (Also, what mouse problem? I don't think there is one here.)
I think you're legitimately over-thinking a lot of it, since a lot of what you're discussing could've easily been applied to Hogsmeade way back.

Last edited:
Reactions: ParkExplorer9513
While I agree with what you say, the exact same thing happened with Potter. It was widely advertised as a 'new Harry Potter Theme Park' and it still turned out allright.

It's only when the media talk about something you have a basic knowledge of that you realise how much rubbish they make up/get wrong/are to lazy to google.
Quite often, a journalist or reporter covering a story, has very little actual knowledge on the subject he/she covers. Therefore, you end up with a story that has
a lot of misrepresentations. On a subject like theme parks, where the only people outside the industry that have any real understanding are us crazy super fans, the
info relayed is often incorrect. Thus, the 'coaster' story, and many others tainted similarly.

I'm a fan of Potter but never bought a wand as that is not the kind of investment I have or want. The same goes for the power-up band. I don't have the feeling I mis out. What I get, for free, is the enjoyment around me. I enjoy watching people do magic and I'm sure I enjoy seeing people hitting blocks and making lights flicker.
The size of the land is also understated as it has multiple levels. Take Toad's restaurant, it's on the lowest floor and the only thing you see in the mushroom themed entrance but behind it is a huge restaurant. The whole area is like that so I expect a ton of other element and entertainment being presented in the coming months before or during opening.
I agree the land will be more rounded at EU when it opens with Donkey Kong coaster and the kids play area that is in there.

A drug that can't be resisted. :lol:.....Be STRONG!!!....Myself, I have no trouble with watching POV's since i know the actual experience is usually many times greater (or lessor, in the case of F&F) than watching a video.
The problem is because of Japan, no clue when we’ll get pictures or POV’s. I’d imagine strong enforcement during previews, but I can’t help but wait and see if there’s any Mario Kart leaks today

Reactions: Mike S