Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Superstore/American Auto

Aug 7, 2018
Anyone fans of these? Superstore is one of my all time favorite sitcoms tbh. American Auto just began on NBC and it’s from the same creators of Superstore and you can tell, in a good way! Superstore will always reign supreme but I found the first 3 episodes of American Auto promising. Ana Gasteyer was cast perfectly along with her other co stars. If you enjoyed Superstore, I recommend American Auto.

Thanks for the heads up, had not heard about that new show. Ana Gasteyer was great on the underrated Subpurgatory.

At its best, Superstore was almost up there with the great NBC ensemble comedies. At its worst (<cough> final season) it still wasn't afraid to go in interesting directions--will be a relevant in pop culture history as the only scripted show I saw that tackled COVID as the pandemic was unfolding--usually managed to get a couple laughs out of me each episode.

Thanks for the heads up, had not heard about that new show. Ana Gasteyer was great on the underrated Subpurgatory.

At its best, Superstore was almost up there with the great NBC ensemble comedies. At its worst (<cough> final season) it still wasn't afraid to go in interesting directions--will be a relevant in pop culture history as the only scripted show I saw that tackled COVID as the pandemic was unfolding--usually managed to get a couple laughs out of me each episode.
So I haven’t finished 5, was worried about season 6....... should I avoid? I don’t want to not love this show, if that makes sense. The bad episodes made me go “oh Superstore that’s too stilly” rather than be annoyed with the show. I can see them tackling Covid funny but unsure if it’s necessary viewing.

Superstore is GREAT. I hear American Auto is in that vein and Parks & Rec as well so it's definitely on my watch list.

Superstore is GREAT. I hear American Auto is in that vein and Parks & Rec as well so it's definitely on my watch list.
It reminds me more of Superstore where it’s a bit absurd while grounded, if that makes sense? Good characters with lots of potential. I recommend if you enjoyed those.

So I haven’t finished 5, was worried about season 6....... should I avoid? I don’t want to not love this show, if that makes sense. The bad episodes made me go “oh Superstore that’s too stilly” rather than be annoyed with the show. I can see them tackling Covid funny but unsure if it’s necessary viewing.

There are some inconsistent character moments at the end of season 5 that bleed over into 6--apparently they had to cut 5 short, so the characters' actions feel rushed, not organic. But some funny moments in season 6--the COVID humor actually works, pointing out the absurdity of the no-win situation we were in--and the series finale is a sweet send-off for the cast. It's a short season, worth watching overall.

There are some inconsistent character moments at the end of season 5 that bleed over into 6--apparently they had to cut 5 short, so the characters' actions feel rushed, not organic. But some funny moments in season 6--the COVID humor actually works, pointing out the absurdity of the no-win situation we were in--and the series finale is a sweet send-off for the cast. It's a short season, worth watching overall.
If the finale is a good send off that’s all I’ll need. I’ll still have the first few seasons. Such a great show and cast.

I got to be in one of the final episodes of Superstore. It was back when USH was still shut down and I was super excited to peer into the empty park from the parking garage in the backlot.

The set itself inside the soundstage was IMPRESSIVE…really felt like an actual department store. I’m one of the shoppers in the background - we were all wearing masks so not super recognizable!

I got to be in one of the final episodes of Superstore. It was back when USH was still shut down and I was super excited to peer into the empty park from the parking garage in the backlot.

The set itself inside the soundstage was IMPRESSIVE…really felt like an actual department store. I’m one of the shoppers in the background - we were all wearing masks so not super recognizable!
Ah that’s so cool!!! Definitely give me a heads up which episode you were in.

Did you get to interact with the cast at all, or any writers?

Ah that’s so cool!!! Definitely give me a heads up which episode you were in.

Did you get to interact with the cast at all, or any writers?

I believe I’m in the final two episodes, but would have to go back through to find where.

Yes! I had an amazing interaction with Mark McKinney. Since it was one of their last days shooting, Mark was going around with scratch offs giving them out to the cast and crew. He saw me waiting in the wings for direction and asked if I had gotten a lotto ticket yet. I said I had not, and he processed to hand me a $10 PAC Man themed scratcher. I thanked him, and was rushed into a scene right after. The next day I scratched it off and won $50. I’m a huge Kids in the Hall fan, so this was insanely cool!

I believe I’m in the final two episodes, but would have to go back through to find where.

Yes! I had an amazing interaction with Mark McKinney. Since it was one of their last days shooting, Mark was going around with scratch offs giving them out to the cast and crew. He saw me waiting in the wings for direction and asked if I had gotten a lotto ticket yet. I said I had not, and he processed to hand me a $10 PAC Man themed scratcher. I thanked him, and was rushed into a scene right after. The next day I scratched it off and won $50. I’m a huge Kids in the Hall fan, so this was insanely cool!
Omg that sounds unreal, happy to hear Glenn is as sweet irl as he is in character, sounds lovely!

Omg that sounds unreal, happy to hear Glenn is as sweet irl as he is in character, sounds lovely!
Yes, Mark was incredibly generous! He’s also hilarious during takes. I had to shop around him and Ben Feldman doing a scene together and they let Mark improvise different lines every take. After the director yelled cut, we were all dying laughing with the stuff he‘d come up with.

Yes, Mark was incredibly generous! He’s also hilarious during takes. I had to shop around him and Ben Feldman doing a scene together and they let Mark improvise different lines every take. After the director yelled cut, we were all dying laughing with the stuff he‘d come up with.
This is like making my day to here haha. The cast always appeared close and to be having fun and even with Covid this all confirms it!