The Condition of the Yeti AA | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

The Condition of the Yeti AA

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I got to go on Everest for the first time a few weeks back. I agree that having the Yeti down all the time DEFINITELY hurts the ride. The whole damn thing builds up to our encounter with The Yeti and to have him frozen in one position with a strobe on him makes the climax/finale quite disappointing. I think the best thing about it now that the Yeti is down is the exterior scenery we get to ride thru.

At this point I think anyone would be shocked if the thing ever did return. Hate to be the negative nancy but one has to be a realist at a certain point.

Reactions: Jakemeister
Let us all admit, however, that the backwards part of the ride is a thrilling tour de force. I only know Orlando area rides, but that extended backwards ride is unnerving at best and a shock for the new rider. How many roller coasters go backwards for 5-7 seconds in the dark with sound effects? I suggest that the yeti was just passing an ice cream cone in 1-2 seconds at high speed. The yeti was never the psychological thrill that made the ride. It is everything that happens before. Sitting in a "broken train" on a track that has been destroyed by the unseen yeti, on the edge of a precipice is far more thrilling and good story in my book. I have ridden with enough new riders to hear that they didn't see him... when it was running 100%.

I will argue that the final Yeti animatronic working full force was a disappointment, too fleeting. It is the rest of the ride that is austere entertainment.

Let us all admit, however, that the backwards part of the ride is a thrilling tour de force. I only know Orlando area rides, but that extended backwards ride is unnerving at best and a shock for the new rider. How many roller coasters go backwards for 5-7 seconds in the dark with sound effects? I suggest that the yeti was just passing an ice cream cone in 1-2 seconds at high speed. The yeti was never the psychological thrill that made the ride. It is everything that happens before. Sitting in a "broken train" on a track that has been destroyed by the unseen yeti, on the edge of a precipice is far more thrilling and good story in my book. I have ridden with enough new riders to hear that they didn't see him... when it was running 100%.

I will argue that the final Yeti animatronic working full force was a disappointment, too fleeting. It is the rest of the ride that is austere entertainment.

I completely agree with your first points. Everest is still a great coaster without an A mode Yeti. The backwards section is the most thrilling part of the ride and much better than ROTM, in my opinion. However, I thought the final confrontation with the Yeti was perfect. I don't think it was fleeting, but rather the perfect amount of time to minimize distortion of the effect and maximize the thrill.

I can't agree. I find Everst as is a bare bones mountain ride compared to Big Thunder. It just has no substance backing it up aside from the backwards portion.

I don't really think there's any debate if it's a good coaster or not.

The Yeti doesn't bother me as much as the big stupid back of the mountain that will never get done.