The Current State and Future of Universal Studios Florida | Page 16 | Inside Universal Forums

The Current State and Future of Universal Studios Florida

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jaws has the most popular cocktail at Universal Orlando ... it is way overdue for a new attraction, HHN or permanent.
Some of the biggest crowds I’ve seen have been around Chez Alcatraz and the Bruce photo-op. That’s not even counting the Jaws merch I see people wearing around the parks. It seems like it flies off the shelves. In the legacy store, the jaws section was just as big as the Harry Potter section, which was very telling. There’s a modern audience for it all right!

If Universal poured their current magic into this legacy IP, it would definitely be good. We’re not asking for a replica of the 1990 version, but something inspired by it that builds on it and adds to it. After seeing the new indo, I can only imagine what new shark animatronics would be like. They could even use one of the new Mack or Intamin boat ride systems that can simulate intense rocking

Nothing, absolutely NOTHING, would live up to the original. Doesn’t matter how hard they could try, I guarantee everybody would be disappointed. And Jaws is my #5 all time favorite Universal ride.

Nothing, absolutely NOTHING, would live up to the original. Doesn’t matter how hard they could try, I guarantee everybody would be disappointed. And Jaws is my #5 all time favorite Universal ride.
And, I think, this is the critical thing. The nostalgia for Jaws, probably more than any other attraction, is such that any new attraction would be a major disappointment.

After seeing the new indo, I can only imagine what new shark animatronics would be like.

Yes, the I-Rex Animatronics are great. But there's a key thing, they're not underwater. There's no way in heck an animatronic like that is going to work to that degree underwater. All of the Jaws AA's were simple for a reason, and anything new would have to stay simple as well. You wouldn't be seeing any advancements like you would for an I-Rex.

And, I think, this is the critical thing. The nostalgia for Jaws, probably more than any other attraction, is such that any new attraction would be a major disappointment.

Fully agreed, while I did enjoy Jaws, people hold the ride in such high regard nostalgia-wise that anything new would just disappoint due to everyone's unattainable expectations. It's like if Disney tried making another Horizons, it just wouldn't meet any expectations, especially for those who never rode it.

See: Kong.

I'm as big a Kongfrontation fan as you could possibly find, and I think Skull Island is (mostly) great. It helps that it's not an attempt at a straight remake of the "Kong loose in New York City" story.

Any new Jaws ride would, by definition, have to involve many elements of the original, thereby inviting stronger comparisons. Could modern Universal make a new Jaws ride that I'd like? Sure. Would they? Given my assessment of their track record at USF over the last ten years (and what looks to be on the docket for the next several), I'm skeptical.

I'm as big a Kongfrontation fan as you could possibly find, and I think Skull Island is (mostly) great. It helps that it's not an attempt at a straight remake of the "Kong loose in New York City" story.

Any new Jaws ride would, by definition, have to involve many elements of the original, thereby inviting stronger comparisons. Could modern Universal make a new Jaws ride that I'd like? Sure. Would they? Given my assessment of their track record at USF over the last ten years (and what looks to be on the docket for the next several), I'm skeptical.

I can agree with this. Kong had many different stories. Jaws... you're pretty much stuck with one.

Would it be possible to put a boat on a simplified underwater Scoop type motion base? THAT’S how you create a modern Jaws attraction. Have the shark bump, rock, and thrash the boat. Do a take 2 on the bite the boat effect from the original version of the ride.

I guess my question is do you miss the IP or the ride type? For me the ideal successor would be the rumored Creature boat ride. Updated ride system, potential similar vibe, but less stakes because of inevitable Jaws vs Jaws 2.0 comparison.
Both. Jaws is a better IP than most in the park and the Studios desperately needs more attractions like the original. Even if Creature is built in EU, it doesn’t totally fix Studios’ problem.

Both. Jaws is a better IP than most in the park and the Studios desperately needs more attractions like the original. Even if Creature is built in EU, it doesn’t totally fix Studios’ problem.

True. I get the sentiment, but Studio’s problems won’t be fixed by one ride. I’d rather they come up with a comprehensive strategy for the park (and unfortunately I don’t think it’s going to be based on classic IP). This piecemeal approach is how it’s gotten to this stage. I feel like we’re approaching a need similar to California Adventure. (Or at least I would love to see that amount of work being done.)

Reactions: DodgsonHere
I know we're talking Blue Sky with a dash of realistic approaches, but the one thing that will always be a problem with Jaws is the size. Would Universal be OK dedicating that much land to 1 ride where we know you can get a Diagon Alley-sized experience instead?
F&F ate two attractions. One of the biggest show buildings on property correct?

Would it be possible to put a boat on a simplified underwater Scoop type motion base? THAT’S how you create a modern Jaws attraction. Have the shark bump, rock, and thrash the boat. Do a take 2 on the bite the boat effect from the original version of the ride.
I think either Mack or Intamin just released a concept for this. I think that having the ride indoors with different scenes that only take inspiration from the OG would cut some of the harsher comparisons. Most guests didn’t ride the 1990 OG version with the shark bites boat effect, so this would be new for probably 99% of guests. Look at JP vs JW over in Hollywood. When JP was closed and JW was being built, everybody almost had JW sworn off that it could never be as good. Now that it’s open, many people like it more. This is because it changed enough not to be a simple ‘redo’ of the original, but almost a complete new ride that took the best parts of the original and added to them. Completely new things were also added to further the differentiation. If the ride is made different enough while keeping the spirit of the original, people may even prefer this version.

But look how that turned out.
That might be because so much money was spent on overhauling the infrastructure and working on the show-building that they had to go cheap on the ride itself. If another attraction was placed here, the impressive show building still stands, and this time all money would be spent on the attraction itself that would go inside. The only issue I could think of would be water. This building was made for a dry attraction. How much would it cost to retrofit it so that it could hold water? As for the footprint, not much would need to be done. Just create a revised layout that can fit in the gutted show building. Reskin San Francisco to a revised version of Amity. You can keep the buildings facing the lagoon with some New England-inspired names replacing the California references. They’d only need to change the more city-esque facades, and even then that’s just simple facade-work. Swap one wall for another. To fit with the buildings being larger than the old ones in the OG Amity they could change to name from “Amity village” to “Amity Warf” or something like that

Reactions: Ahmanet
Status
Not open for further replies.