The Current State and Future of Universal Studios Florida | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

The Current State and Future of Universal Studios Florida

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jumping in late here, but I feel the screen debate is often misguided

Studios is not "screen heavy" but simulator heavy - Fallon, DM, Simpsons, and (it can be argued) Shrek all do kind of the same trick.

Transformers and Gringotts do many of the same tricks, as well; stop in front of a screen, move through a brief physical transition, stop in front of another screen, etc.

I like riding rides in IOA wayyyyy more than studios, but if I just wanna walk around, eat, and see a show and then grab a butterbeer I think I spend a lot more time in studios than in IOA. I think this is because studios is more open and more easily navigable and tends to feel less crowded. So while I do more "stuff" in islands, I like to head over to studios just to chill. Islands is very claustrophobic to me and feels like a chore to navigate when its crowded and 98 degrees outside fresh after a thunderstorm.

So at least studios has THAT going for it. Just imagine if there was better rides.

I wouldn't mind Fear Factor and MIB getting taken down for a new land. While MIB helps a lot with variety of rides, Universal has shown they can be clever with space (Nintendo) and fit 2 noteworthy attractions into one area.

Transformers and Gringotts do many of the same tricks, as well; stop in front of a screen, move through a brief physical transition, stop in front of another screen, etc.
I've griped many times about Gringott's weird pacing

I would argue that the bookend coaster moments separate it enough so as not to be repetitive

And I have always liked Gringotts over FJ

Speaking of which, Potter in USF is about the only thing it does better than IOA

Reactions: Mad Dog
I wouldn't mind Fear Factor and MIB getting taken down for a new land. While MIB helps a lot with variety of rides, Universal has shown they can be clever with space (Nintendo) and fit 2 noteworthy attractions into one area.

I think I'd have a hard time with MIB leaving under almost any scenario, even for a land themed to an IP I liked.

Speaking of which, Potter in USF is about the only thing it does better than IOA

As an area, sure, Diagon is better than Hogsmeade. Hogsmeade is way better from a ride perspective.

I think I'd have a hard time with MIB leaving under almost any scenario, even for a land themed to an IP I liked.

As an area, sure, Diagon is better than Hogsmeade. Hogsmeade is way better from a ride perspective.
Yes on the Potter comparison. Hogsmeade has two 'great' rides,, one average ride, a very good night time show, and shares a damn good attraction (HE). Diagon has one
near great/great attraction and shares HE. BUT, I find that we spend at least double or triple the time in Diagon as opposed to Hogsmeade. Diagon is much more immersive, seems
to have more to see and experience, and has three excellent stage shows, while the Hogsmeade stage shows are average at best. That's the thing about USF. Due to it's abundance
of shows/street entertainment/lagoon show/parade, and the layout of the park, we easily spend more time at USF than the better attraction IOA park. 'IF' Nintendo would have been
built in Kidzone, until it's last second reversal, USF would definitely have been the better park overall. But fate dealt USF a bad hand in that instance.

I think the three rides you mention (and Jaws) are viewed through rose-colored glasses, especially when we discuss park “balance.” The “big three” we’re variations of the same “shaking platform” concept used in Calamity Canyon. The only real variation was air (Kong), land (Earthquake), and water (Jaws). They weren’t even the most “immersive” rides in the park, as the scene structure was very much going past dioramas on one side of the RV. BttF was a simulator. Viscerally, more happens in Gringotts than what happened in any of those rides, screens or not.

But if you get reductive enough, you can draw similarities between any ride. Living With the Land and Space Mountain are the same in that you sit down and move from Point A to Point B.

It’s the variety you pointed out (air, land, water) that make a big difference. Right now, most of USF’s signature rides take place in dark hallways with 3-D projections. Whether or not the old rides are outdated by today’s standards is besides the point (because they are and should’ve been replaced). The issue is we no longer have an outdoor ride that takes place on the water, or a suspended dark ride focused on drops, etc…just a lot of boxes that shake around.

USF hasn’t ever been a thrill park, and so it’s value proposition has always been in its display of environments and presentation in unique ways to create thrill. Right now a lot of the environments and presentations are similar which makes for a middling overall experience.

I like riding rides in IOA wayyyyy more than studios, but if I just wanna walk around, eat, and see a show and then grab a butterbeer I think I spend a lot more time in studios than in IOA. I think this is because studios is more open and more easily navigable and tends to feel less crowded. So while I do more "stuff" in islands, I like to head over to studios just to chill. Islands is very claustrophobic to me and feels like a chore to navigate when its crowded and 98 degrees outside fresh after a thunderstorm.

So at least studios has THAT going for it. Just imagine if there was better rides.

I’ve also found IOA to be way too narrows and packed-in (the circular layout doesn’t help). That’s the thing about USF…I still stand by my opinion that the rides are too same-y, but it’s a great hang-out park. There’s merit in being the “special event” park where you go, grab a beer and snack, and just chill watching a show or something.

Last edited:
The “big three” we’re variations of the same “shaking platform” concept used in Calamity Canyon. The only real variation was air (Kong), land (Earthquake), and water (Jaws).

Sure, these rides had some shaking, but the way the story was presented was each unique and individual.

Much more unique than the differences of transformers, fallon, minions, shrek and Simpsons. Because at the end of the day they’re all variations of looking at a screen.

I feel like USF at the moment lacks a defining vision.

Is it supposed to be a park focused on food, concerts, and seasonal festivals like EPCOT?
Or is it supposed to be a park focused on classic IPs, parades, and hard ticket events like Magic Kingdom?
Is it supposed to be about exploring immersive lands such as Diagon Alley?
Or is it supposed to be about going backstage at a movie studio?

Meanwhile, almost all of the attractions fall in a moderate thrill category, with most also being some combination of screen-heavy, dated looking, or just not good.

Ultimately, it just feels like a decent, catch-all compliment to Islands of Adventure. That's not a terrible place to be in the sense of requiring immediate action, but I also don't see it as a great long term plan for future attendance growth.

I'm not going to get too worked up about one or two rides that they may add in the near term, but looking at the whole attraction lineup I just don't see much that still needs to be around in 15 to 20 years, and so I view USF as somewhat of a blank canvas post-EU. I just hope they approach that canvas with a more specific vision than the park has had in the last ~15 years.

Reactions: Cheezbat
I feel like USF at the moment lacks a defining vision.

Is it supposed to be a park focused on food, concerts, and seasonal festivals like EPCOT?
Or is it supposed to be a park focused on classic IPs, parades, and hard ticket events like Magic Kingdom?
Is it supposed to be about exploring immersive lands such as Diagon Alley?
Or is it supposed to be about going backstage at a movie studio?

Meanwhile, almost all of the attractions fall in a moderate thrill category, with most also being some combination of screen-heavy, dated looking, or just not good.

Ultimately, it just feels like a decent, catch-all compliment to Islands of Adventure. That's not a terrible place to be in the sense of requiring immediate action, but I also don't see it as a great long term plan for future attendance growth.

I'm not going to get too worked up about one or two rides that they may add in the near term, but looking at the whole attraction lineup I just don't see much that still needs to be around in 15 to 20 years, and so I view USF as somewhat of a blank canvas post-EU. I just hope they approach that canvas with a more specific vision than the park has had in the last ~15 years.
I would say, nothing has really changed with the intention of the park...however, it seems to be more committed to the "in the movies/shows/etc" concept

This is different than before where in Studios had some attractions here and there that peeled back the curtain to give behind the scenes of the films you were supposed to be riding

But I would argue that rides like Kong and Jaws had the goal of immersing you in those worlds and Amity Island/New York furthered this concept

I think the big issue is the front half of the park and Kidzone really do drag the park down as a whole.

I would love to see more immersive lands come to Kidzone and the front entrance redone to move away from the back lot/soundstage look

As far as events, USF is the event park currently, but I'm not sure that plays into the park's overall intention or identity.

Of course, we would love to see things like Diagon all over the park...but I would argue that NY already kind of achieves that level or immersiveness

This isn’t a fully USF-specific video (I do appreciate the appreciation for Seuss Landing!), but it’s certainly pertinent to this thread’s subject, particularly the first 11ish minutes. This guy’s a pretty level-headed straight-shooter, having aimed plenty of criticism at Disney’s recent creative directions, and I find his take on Universal to be pretty solid (and more positive than not).

I would like to believe his confident assertion that “the issue with oversaturation of screens is on its way out,” but I am skeptical (certainly as it relates to USF, anyway).

This isn’t a fully USF-specific video (I do appreciate the appreciation for Seuss Landing!), but it’s certainly pertinent to this thread’s subject, particularly the first 11ish minutes. This guy’s a pretty level-headed straight-shooter, having aimed plenty of criticism at Disney’s recent creative directions, and I find his take on Universal to be pretty solid (and more positive than not).

I would like to believe his confident assertion that “the issue with oversaturation of screens is on its way out,” but I am skeptical (certainly as it relates to USF, anyway).

Much respect to a guy who sees the value in the cartoonish theming most theme park influencers would decry as outdated. Gonna try and throw a coin in that fish's mouth on my next visit.

Don't agree much with his stance on the hotels and food though. Islands of Adventure has some real unpalatable stuff at Circus McGirkus and Comic Strip, but most stuff is solid and special events are continuously improving their offerings. I also don't know how he found Fallon better than Simpsons. One ride plays classic Simpsons moments during the queue. The other plays Jimmy Fallon clips. You're comparing heaven and hell here...

Status
Not open for further replies.