The Eternals | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

The Eternals

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It sounds like this is the antithesis though - like they’ve been around observing but only until “now” are they intervening. Which is hilarious because 50% of all life vanishing seems like something to intervene on, but I’m sure Feige has an explanation.
I meant like wins outside of technical. No acting, writing, directing or picture wins at the Oscars.

Nice, different look for a Marvel flick but that quip at the end was noooooot delivered well.

EDIT: My main hope is that this movie doesn't flop. The trailer did nothing for me but it looks like they're trying out a different vibe (even if I fully expect it to mostly be second-unit battles by the end).

As a little cringe as it was, I think it was to remind people that this is still a marvel film.

Reactions: Journey_On
I was trying to pinpoint the vibes the trailer gave me early on....and I think I got it now. The spaceship in the intro and landscape shots remind me of a Denis Villeneuve movie (Arrival, Dune) mixed with Prometheus.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I was trying to pinpoint the vibes the trailer gave me early on....and I think I got it now. The spaceship in the intro and landscape shots remind me of a Denis Villeneuve movie (Arrival, Dune) mixed with Prometheus.

That's what jumped out to me, because of the sound design of that ship. Not that I'm complaining, but I love it and how ethereal the version of that song goes with the visuals (guessing Ramin did the cover, considering the last bits of the trailer feeling like his style).

I’ve seen some people talking about the muted colors. I have to think they’re holding back the key Kirby-esque set pieces.

Really wish they hit us with the “From Academy Award Winning Director Chloé Zhao”

Reactions: Tristan
So there's rumors that The Eternals will make its debut at Cannes in July stemming from a comment made in variety from one of the people who runs the festival who said that there will be a "planetary blockbuster" debuting at the festival.

I think it's more likely that they are referring to Dune, however. It'd be a pretty early debut, especially for a Marvel film.

So there's rumors that The Eternals will make its debut at Cannes in July stemming from a comment made in variety from one of the people who runs the festival who said that there will be a "planetary blockbuster" debuting at the festival.

I think it's more likely that they are referring to Dune, however. It'd be a pretty early debut, especially for a Marvel film.

Does Disney have any films, regardless of Marvel, premiering at Cannes? Could be possibly both Dune and Eternals.

If Marvel has trust in the name that Chloe Zhao has, and the reports that are coming out, why not have people get a chance to see it early? Might spin buzz leading to it's release.

Reactions: Nick
Nice, different look for a Marvel flick but that quip at the end was noooooot delivered well.

EDIT: My main hope is that this movie doesn't flop. The trailer did nothing for me but it looks like they're trying out a different vibe (even if I fully expect it to mostly be second-unit battles by the end).

Wouldn't be surprised at all to see that shot was just used for the trailer only and doesn't make it in the actual cut.

Does Disney have any films, regardless of Marvel, premiering at Cannes? Could be possibly both Dune and Eternals.

If Marvel has trust in the name that Chloe Zhao has, and the reports that are coming out, why not have people get a chance to see it early? Might spin buzz leading to it's release.
The only thing Disney would have is something like The French Dispatch, which, as the article mentions, is currently not at Cannes (although they would love it to premiere there).

Wouldn't be surprised at all to see that shot was just used for the trailer only and doesn't make it in the actual cut.

Perhaps! I'm just wary of people hyping this up as a Villeneuve-esque arthouse blockbuster when it feels like tags like that are meant to assure people it'll still be Marvel. Not to say that's a bad thing, necessarily, it's just that I don't want to go in with the wrong expectations.

I agree.

I think that shot was literally just to make sure audiences knew it was a Marvel film because just watching the rest of the trailer, you would have no idea this is a Marvel film unless you already knew beforehand.

So the teaser has caused a bunch of confusion and clowning because of the “never interfered” thing.

I’m pretty sure the movie incorporates the Neil Gaiman premise which is basically about the Eternals being “woken up” from their normal lives and realizing they are Eternals with these godly powers and massive histories. Marvel started pushing this run back out last year. Basically I think the idea will be that they’ve been incapable of stopping things like slavery, the world wars, and Thanos because they simply were not cognizant of their abilities.

If this is the case they probably should’ve included that aspect of the story in the trailer to prevent the backlash. It’s possible (and I’ve speculated this for awhile) that of Tony’s wish with his snap included unlocking the abilities of others who can help fight back against future threats. It would be a very MCU way to introduce these characters. If my Tony snap theory is correct, then they probably made the right choice not to show it in the trailer. It would make for one of those chilling realization scenes when we all see the movie.

I also could be completely wrong about what the film’s premise is and it will turn out to be very poorly thought out. Who knows!

So the teaser has caused a bunch of confusion and clowning because of the “never interfered” thing.

I’m pretty sure the movie incorporates the Neil Gaiman premise which is basically about the Eternals being “woken up” from their normal lives and realizing they are Eternals with these godly powers and massive histories. Marvel started pushing this run back out last year. Basically I think the idea will be that they’ve been incapable of stopping things like slavery, the world wars, and Thanos because they simply were not cognizant of their abilities.

If this is the case they probably should’ve included that aspect of the story in the trailer to prevent the backlash. It’s possible (and I’ve speculated this for awhile) that of Tony’s wish with his snap included unlocking the abilities of others who can help fight back against future threats. It would be a very MCU way to introduce these characters. If my Tony snap theory is correct, then they probably made the right choice not to show it in the trailer. It would make for one of those chilling realization scenes when we all see the movie.

I also could be completely wrong about what the film’s premise is and it will turn out to be very poorly thought out. Who knows!
It was a teaser trailer. Something like that would normally come in a trailer #2, which is normally more of a story trailer. I expect to get a second trailer possibly as soon as just before F9 or as far out as Shang-Chi.

Remember when everyone was clowning on the trailer for this movie because they said "Throughout the years we have never interfered, until now." and people were saying things like "the Thanos snap wasn't enough to interfere?"... I think after seeing Loki, we have a good idea of WHY it is that they interfere only just now and that's because, honestly, Thanos wasn't enough of a threat for it to be worth their time. Sure, half the population got eliminated, but society was going to live on. What we're dealing with now is much larger than that.