Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Exorcist

That's very true however after B&T complaints and other garbage, I seriously wouldn't put it past any idiot attending to get offended over the touchy subject of religion even if it is from the source material. A&D really tends to avoid the topic all together in case of controversy anyways like the minora in AWIL. I guess we'll see in September but I'm not expecting it
Actually the people complaining rarely even attend. They just hear about things, get offended from something they didn't even go to see and complain, write articles, launch boycott's etc. People nowadays are really just looking for a reason complain about something a large company does and the media eats it up.

Actually the people complaining rarely even attend. They just hear about things, get offended from something they didn't even go to see and complain, write articles, launch boycott's etc. People nowadays are really just looking for a reason complain about something a large company does and the media eats it up.
Go and sit at guest services one night and tell me there aren't folks complaining.

I will be there with several drinks and I will share.

It's a favorite past time of mine.

Go and sit at guest services one night and tell me there aren't folks complaining.

I will be there with several drinks and I will share.

It's a favorite past time of mine.
Don't get me wrong I know there are people at the event complaining. Those are people however who will get something free and forget about it or at worst not feel like they're complaint was heard and go post something on the UOAP FB page. The real problem people are the ones who could care less about the event and are just looking for something that makes a good headline. Like the author of this poor excuse for journalism: The Bill and Ted Show at Universal Studios Is Super Homophobic (and Also Racist and Terrible) | VICE | United States

Don't get me wrong I know there are people at the event complaining. Those are people however who will get something free and forget about it or at worst not feel like they're complaint was heard and go post something on the UOAP FB page. The real problem people are the ones who could care less about the event and are just looking for something that makes a good headline. Like the author of this poor excuse for journalism: The Bill and Ted Show at Universal Studios Is Super Homophobic (and Also Racist and Terrible) | VICE | United States

So I've never complained to uni. Last year was my first HHN and I was blown away by just about everything. Jacks show was amazing.
I felt B&T was just a big hit the pop culture moments event that lacked humor especially since it tries t be edgy.. if it's a funny joke then few people will care about the subject no matter how sensitive. But they do a joke where Justin Bieber got sent to a woman's prison and then the inmates rape him. Not a single punchline to that, and the justin looking like a woman joke is about 3 years too late.
I do agree that people will complain no matter what though. Maybe better writing would help..
But I digress.

If they did feature heavy religious symbolism in the Exorcist house then they will get flack no matter what. But just like B&T I don't know if it would matter to uni, since they continue B&T dispite complaints. And the uber religious folks aren't exactly flocking to an event like HHN

So I've never complained to uni. Last year was my first HHN and I was blown away by just about everything. Jacks show was amazing.
I felt B&T was just a big hit the pop culture moments event that lacked humor especially since it tries t be edgy.. if it's a funny joke then few people will care about the subject no matter how sensitive. But they do a joke where Justin Bieber got sent to a woman's prison and then the inmates rape him. Not a single punchline to that, and the justin looking like a woman joke is about 3 years too late.
I do agree that people will complain no matter what though. Maybe better writing would help..
But I digress.

If they did feature heavy religious symbolism in the Exorcist house then they will get flack no matter what. But just like B&T I don't know if it would matter to uni, since they continue B&T dispite complaints. And the uber religious folks aren't exactly flocking to an event like HHN
Well ever since that article was written they haven't had B&T in Hollywood. I think the writing would probably be a little more unique and interesting if they didn't have to worry about who's going to get offended by every joke they write. As for the Exorcist I'm sure there are a few out there who are already putting their articles together with the hopes the super religious will be outraged enough to send their article in to a viral sensation on Facebook.

Well ever since that article was written they haven't had B&T in Hollywood. I think the writing would probably be a little more unique and interesting if they didn't have to worry about who's going to get offended by every joke they write. As for the Exorcist I'm sure there are a few out there who are already putting their articles together with the hopes the super religious will be outraged enough to send their article in to a viral sensation on Facebook.

I would agree about the Exorcist.. since that movie has continues to cause controversy since it was created.

As for B&T I agree to disagree.. they don't have to be edgy to be funny and if they're going to do sensitive jokes then it needs to be a good joke to fall back on. I guess I could use The Office as an example, if the person telling the joke is the one who looks like the idiot I.E. Michael Scott (or David Brent), it tends to land easier. But that's justy 2 cents. I will just not see the show rather than ruin it for others

I'm assuming you're a straight white cisgender male.

So you don't get to tell others what they can or cannot be offended by when you're top of the food chain.

I love HHN and Universal but trust and believe I'd call them out in a heartbeat in they were being homophobic or the like.

I saw that Bill and Ted and it was SUPER racist and SUPER homophobic - that's kinda the point, but when you do things like that you're gonna face backlash and it can get ugly. You're playing w fire.

People probably don't complain at USO bc it's mostly locals and locals means Florida people.

I'm assuming you're a straight white cisgender male.

So you don't get to tell others what they can or cannot be offended by when you're top of the food chain.

I love HHN and Universal but trust and believe I'd call them out in a heartbeat in they were being homophobic or the like.

I saw that Bill and Ted and it was SUPER racist and SUPER homophobic - that's kinda the point, but when you do things like that you're gonna face backlash and it can get ugly. You're playing w fire.

People probably don't complain at USO bc it's mostly locals and locals means Florida people.
The point is if you find something offensive or if your overly sensitive to the more extreme horror or comedy genres be an adult about it and just don't go. The people who sit from afar and try to encourage outrage to try and take away something the brings others happiness are really just trying to feel like they have some sort of power over other people. It's truly sad and pathetic.

The horror elements of Halloween Horror Nights are rarely called out as too extreme. People expect religious imagery in an Exorcist house. But homophobia, transphobia and racism as outright comedy is a different matter. If you're a marginalised member of society, you're at HHN for the same reasons as everybody else; to be scared, and to have a good time. If you go and see Bill and Ted only to be reminded of the sort of low level crap prejudice you probably have to deal with everyday, it's not an enjoyable experience.

The horror elements of Halloween Horror Nights are rarely called out as too extreme. People expect religious imagery in an Exorcist house. But homophobia, transphobia and racism as outright comedy is a different matter. If you're a marginalised member of society, you're at HHN for the same reasons as everybody else; to be scared, and to have a good time. If you go and see Bill and Ted only to be reminded of the sort of low level crap prejudice you probably have to deal with everyday, it's not an enjoyable experience.
Some people will just never understand parody. Taking for example the B&T gay Superman joke. I don't think the intention was to say that being gay makes you weaker. The comedy comes from bringing typical stereotypes to light, what they're truly doing here is making fun of the stereotypes themselves. Parody and satire is a very subtle and difficult art and they don't always get it right and it's certainly not for everyone. I have several friends who are gay who do appreciate that type of humor, in fact if you've ever seen the show at the Parliament house you'll see they embrace that type of comedy as well. Getting back to The Exorcist the same will be true here, there will certainly be those who condemn Universal in their "blatant disrespect" towards religion in having this house. It's fiction though and the reason for including the religious aspects is to help drive the fear of the theme just the same way the movie did. It's not meant for people who can't separate reality and a fictional presentation. If people aren't mature enough to appreciate everything presented at HHN as pure entertainment nothing more then they really shouldn't go. Of course that's just not the world we live in and Universal is forced to walk this fine balance so they don't hurt someones feelings while trying to scare them to death.

Just for the record, I have seen every B&T at HHN in Orlando and most of the ones they used to do in Hollywood on Youtube videos. I even managed to see that infamous 2013 Hollywood B&T on YouTube before it was taken down and the show banned at USH.

And speaking as an openly gay man I can happily say I have never been offended by the show. Indeed I know very many gay people who enjoy the show year after year as well. Furthermore "Jamie Lee Curtis Tate" is quite the hypocrite, in addition to attacking this show on his blog he is also known to attack various celebrities not for any of their deeds or beliefs, but only because he doesn't like the way they look. Judging by personal appearance, very inclusive and tolerant yes?

This whole thing has quite taken this thread way off topic, let's all get back to The Exorcist please?

Some people will just never understand parody. Taking for example the B&T gay Superman joke. I don't think the intention was to say that being gay makes you weaker. The comedy comes from bringing typical stereotypes to light, what they're truly doing here is making fun of the stereotypes themselves. Parody and satire is a very subtle and difficult art and they don't always get it right and it's certainly not for everyone. I have several friends who are gay who do appreciate that type of humor, in fact if you've ever seen the show at the Parliament house you'll see they embrace that type of comedy as well. Getting back to The Exorcist the same will be true here, there will certainly be those who condemn Universal in their "blatant disrespect" towards religion in having this house. It's fiction though and the reason for including the religious aspects is to help drive the fear of the theme just the same way the movie did. It's not meant for people who can't separate reality and a fictional presentation. If people aren't mature enough to appreciate everything presented at HHN as pure entertainment nothing more then they really shouldn't go. Of course that's just not the world we live in and Universal is forced to walk this fine balance so they don't hurt someones feelings while trying to scare them to death.
You trying to defend B&T as high art parody/satire is wonderful and I applaud you on your convictions.

I expect we will see demonic imagery in exorcist (Very THE INBETWEEN) but I imagine Catholic references/crosses will be few and far between. I think they may get away w a few priests here and there.

I wonder if it will be like a hell house and they'll be an opportunity for group prayer afterwards.

I don't think subtle and stereotypes really go hand in hand. Stereotypes tend to be blatant and cheap.