The Flash/Flashpoint | Inside Universal Forums

The Flash/Flashpoint

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!
The Wrap has broken news on the upcoming film--The Flash, that Michael Keaton is in talks to be reprising his iconic role as Bruce Wayne/Batman.

If Keaton gets locked in, he will be signed on for a multi-film contract for The Flash, and other DC films in development.

The Flash, will reportedly center around Barry Allen trying to prevent the death of his mother, and in doing so create an alternative universe, featuring the Keaton Batman.

I don't like this. I feel like the Multiverse should be used when there's a good driving story point for it, but unless i'm wrong, this just sounds like they want to create a multiverse so they can do the ultimate in fan service. Bring back everyone who's ever played Batman. Bring back all the Superman's. etc, etc.

It just reeks of corporate greed/fan service over proper story telling.

I don't like this. I feel like the Multiverse should be used when there's a good driving story point for it, but unless i'm wrong, this just sounds like they want to create a multiverse so they can do the ultimate in fan service. Bring back everyone who's ever played Batman. Bring back all the Superman's. etc, etc.

It just reeks of corporate greed/fan service over proper story telling.

Flashpoint's an..interesting matter, because if they were going to go into telling the story proper, then they shouldn't be bringing in an older Bruce Wayne.

As far as the Multiverse goes for DC..It's admittedly interesting. Partly because, by all accounts; they have been sowing the seed's in slowly through these past few years. Most notably by the CW/Television shows (Crisis on Infinite Earth's comes to mind, as Ezra did appear for a brief cameo), along with Joker from last year being an story set in a different universe.

It's going to have to depend on not only the execution of the script, but how they can weave things in.

EDIT: additionally, it seems like if Keaton is locked, he will be in a multi-film deal, acting as our Samuel L. Jackson. Which..would beg the question if things are going to be transferred to the Burtonverse going forward, and going back to a more fantastical style in the area's.

Last edited:

..the freaking, mad lad, did it. Ben is back.

Edit: For context,

This will mark the return of Ben Affleck and Michael Keaton; alongside for the first time, two major actors reprising the same character in the same film. Additionally, in the Vanity Fair article--it seems like we'll be seeing multiple universes highlighted; marking this the largest multiverse project yet for a comic adaptation.

Last edited:
I'm concerned because the real creative force has been Warner Bros as a corporate entity rather than a strong creative viewpoint like Wonder Woman or Joker.

Avengers did great? Make Justice League.
Guardians of the Galaxy did great with anti-heroes? Suicide Squad coming up!
(I'd almost connect the dot of an R rated psychotic quasi-villain of Deadpool to Harley Quinn/Birds of Prey, but it felt original enough.)
Sony knocked it out of the park with Spiderverse? So, multiple batmen in a single film with a convenient plotline that can allow them to clean up their previous effort while retaining whatever worked? It smells desperate.

However, I'm no Marvel fanboy and if a good script and vision comes together, I'd be happy to watch it in theaters. Whenever that's possible.

I'm concerned because the real creative force has been Warner Bros as a corporate entity rather than a strong creative viewpoint like Wonder Woman or Joker.

Avengers did great? Make Justice League.
Guardians of the Galaxy did great with anti-heroes? Suicide Squad coming up!
(I'd almost connect the dot of an R rated psychotic quasi-villain of Deadpool to Harley Quinn/Birds of Prey, but it felt original enough.)
Sony knocked it out of the park with Spiderverse? So, multiple batmen in a single film with a convenient plotline that can allow them to clean up their previous effort while retaining whatever worked? It smells desperate.

However, I'm no Marvel fanboy and if a good script and vision comes together, I'd be happy to watch it in theaters. Whenever that's possible.

I mean--the film is loosely adapting that of a 2011 comic run that basically kick started the New 52, that being Flashpoint. But unlike Flashpoint--and albeit unlike the DCUniverse Rebirth series--this seems to be loosely adapting elements from Flashpoint and putting in various universes and brands.

Edit: Think albeit in a sense, of Multiverse of Madness. It fully delves into that of the multiverse, and explores how actions are modified. But unlike Multiverse of Madness, The Flash won't be that of a Scarlet Witch situation. They are opening the door to allow not only Keaton's Batman into play, but other DC characters and universes--to collide and converge, possibly due to an action that Barry had caused because of his "family" either being blamed for actions they're not accused of, or dead.

Every past incarnation--in a manner of speaking, is canon. And this has been explored actually a bit on the Television side--with multiple universe hopping specials with CW (the most recent actually having a cameo by Ezra, that seemingly takes place after JL). And the film in theory, if Warner Bros. is allowing, would let Andy and Barbara Muschetti essentially have reigns over the various incarnations and giving them the chance of having them appear.

__

I'd be watching the Fandome panel on Saturday--as I am going to guess they'll speak more properly on the type of film it'll be there.

Last edited:
Rumors are this film will be a major turning point in a controversial way for the DCEU, basically erasing all that Snyder did, but also making very questionable decisions for the future.

Extreme plot spoilers:

Warner (or eventually Warner Discovery) is going to have to seriously consider recasting Ezra Miller as The Flash if he keeps doing things like this. Based on what Ezra did in his last high profile altercation where he seemingly chokes a woman, i'm surprised they didn't recast him after that. You can add on a Disorderly conduct and harassment offenses now.

“During the course of their investigation, police determined that the man, later identified as Ezra Miller, became agitated while patrons at the bar began singing karaoke,” according to the Hawaii Police Department report. “Miller began yelling obscenities and at one point grabbed the microphone from a 23-year-old woman singing karaoke (disorderly conduct offense) and later lunged at a 32-year-old man playing darts (harassment offense). The bar owner asked Miller to calm down several times to no avail.”

Warner (or eventually Warner Discovery) is going to have to seriously consider recasting Ezra Miller as The Flash if he keeps doing things like this. Based on what Ezra did in his last high profile altercation where he seemingly chokes a woman, i'm surprised they didn't recast him after that. You can add on a Disorderly conduct and harassment offenses now.

“During the course of their investigation, police determined that the man, later identified as Ezra Miller, became agitated while patrons at the bar began singing karaoke,” according to the Hawaii Police Department report. “Miller began yelling obscenities and at one point grabbed the microphone from a 23-year-old woman singing karaoke (disorderly conduct offense) and later lunged at a 32-year-old man playing darts (harassment offense). The bar owner asked Miller to calm down several times to no avail.”

It certainly doesn't help that they will be in the new Fantastic Beasts movie that opens in a couple of weeks, a film that already has its fair share of problems.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Going to be honest.....never cared for him as the Flash if this is a way for them to get him out...then good. He comes off as the opposite of what I love about the Flash.

So, there's a good thing that they have a year until the film comes out now huh.

Recast him with Timothee. Screw it, get him in for a first look deal.
This would be an excellent recast and he’s someone who would bring along a big following, too.

Problem is the movie is shot.

This would be an excellent recast and he’s someone who would bring along a big following, too.

Problem is the movie is shot.
Problem with an answer: The film got delayed to June 2023. While it would be an extreme reaction, they could just flat out reshoot all of Ezra's scenes with Timothee. Hell, delay it to November 2023 if you need extra time.

Reactions: Nick
Problem with an answer: The film got delayed to June 2023. While it would be an extreme reaction, they could just flat out reshoot all of Ezra's scenes with Timothee. Hell, delay it to November 2023 if you need extra time.
Problem with that is that you need to pay Timothee, you just paid Ezra for nothing, and the budget for the film is probably already at $200M or so, especially since this is supposed to be a big event type of film in the DCEU introducing the multiverse.