The Future of Fast and Furious: Supercharged | Page 11 | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of Fast and Furious: Supercharged

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
As long as we are blue sky-ing... What if they turned the party bus into a studio tram, and made it a virtual backlot tour through the history of Universal (with appearances by Jaws, BTTF, etc)?
Replace the cars in the queue with props, redo the preshow, redecorate the scenes leading up to the tunnel, and add an animatronic Doc Brown before unload.
Funnily enough, I worked on an armchair imagineering project on Magic that was almost exactly that (main differences being that our proposal used a Hogwarts Express style system to pull the vehicles instead of trackless and that it replaced Shrek). It would probably be a smidge out of place in San Fran instead of Hollywood or Production Central, but I would love if this would ever happen.

I know there was when the park opened in the 90s, but why is there not a version of the tram tour here? As you stated with this idea its not insanely hard to pull off. I could be wrong, but doesn't the tram tour in Hollywood still do very well? The only, only "how this works" or outside acknowledgment of the company and their stuff is in Horror Makeup Show. Great, but id love if they broadened that idea.

Although maybe this is a super fan wish. An east coast tram tour would be fun but I sadly don't see it. Whoever suggested the MK ride system, thats probably what they'll go for, unless MK is eventually across the lagoon from it.
The Orlando tram tour, in the best of times, was pretty boring. You drove between soundstages (which were sometimes open, sometimes not), saw the back of the show buildings, got a little bit closer to the Bates house replica, saw the back of the same show buildings, then between the same soundstages.

Because Orlando had no outdoor sets, nor was it historically used for shooting anything, there was never an actual point to it. As they started expanding the park (BttF and KidZone), and once Nickelodeon left, there was no space nor reason for the tram tour to continue.

The Orlando tram tour, in the best of times, was pretty boring. You drove between soundstages (which were sometimes open, sometimes not), saw the back of the show buildings, got a little bit closer to the Bates house replica, saw the back of the same show buildings, then between the same soundstages.

Because Orlando had no outdoor sets, nor was it historically used for shooting anything, there was never an actual point to it. As they started expanding the park (BttF and KidZone), and once Nickelodeon left, there was no space nor reason for the tram tour to continue.
Ya, I 100% get their reasoning here. I guess more of a "Classic Universal Movie" attraction is what we all always have wanted. Didn't seem like the tram tour brought that in Orland when it was here. I think that honestly, if they have extra space (which they don't), this is SUCH an obvious attraction. Wasn't there a brief rumor at one point regarding a possible Universal Studios museum? I still think that kind of stuff is not entirely out of the public's interests, especially if they can somehow make it interactive in anyway, which Universal seems to do well on and I'm sure is only learning more from their work with Nintendo. I know it won't, but id love for something like this to return someday.

I know there was when the park opened in the 90s, but why is there not a version of the tram tour here? As you stated with this idea its not insanely hard to pull off. I could be wrong, but doesn't the tram tour in Hollywood still do very well? The only, only "how this works" or outside acknowledgment of the company and their stuff is in Horror Makeup Show. Great, but id love if they broadened that idea.

Although maybe this is a super fan wish. An east coast tram tour would be fun but I sadly don't see it. Whoever suggested the MK ride system, thats probably what they'll go for, unless MK is eventually across the lagoon from it.
Basically, USF’s original plans were for a major backlot tram tour like USH. Eisner saw those plans when he worked for Paramount, then Disney announced suspiciously similar plans for MGM Studios after he became CEO. Uni threw out their plans and turned everything that was supposed to be on the tram tour into stand-alone rides. Sam Gennawey wrote a good book about it called “Disney vs Universal” which I excerpt in my book...

Imagine the screennzzz they could hang on the sound stages and make a tram tour an extravaganza. It could wind from the sound stages around the back to the F&F building for the wild finale?
Yeah well me either, not the place for trams

Ya, I 100% get their reasoning here. I guess more of a "Classic Universal Movie" attraction is what we all always have wanted. Didn't seem like the tram tour brought that in Orland when it was here. I think that honestly, if they have extra space (which they don't), this is SUCH an obvious attraction. Wasn't there a brief rumor at one point regarding a possible Universal Studios museum? I still think that kind of stuff is not entirely out of the public's interests, especially if they can somehow make it interactive in anyway, which Universal seems to do well on and I'm sure is only learning more from their work with Nintendo. I know it won't, but id love for something like this to return someday.
I’m sure they’ve explored the possibility, but I don’t think Universal (the company at large) views it as the right sort of thing for Orlando. Again, there is no actual history on the east coast. No major movies or smash-hit, zeitgeist TV shows were shot at Universal. There is no single, enigmatic persona that symbolizes Universal (like Disney) to draw people in. Most of all, it’s not why people go to Orlando. It’s never been. A museum of any sort, unless integrated into the queue, is a waste of space at the theme parks. Even One Man’s Dream was tucked into an empty, unused soundstage (and if the rumor it’s moving to Disney Springs is true, it’s moving to an empty store front).

Fact is, most people simply don’t care. A historic walk-through is for a niche group of movie buffs who can actually name numerous Universal movies from several decades. The tram tour in Hollywood is historic, and a ride. Universal would need a ride that goes through history.

(Although, thinking about it—a Fallon-hosted “Trip through time” that revisits classic Universal films would be a hell of a retheme from “The Tonight Show.”)

Basically, USF’s original plans were for a major backlot tram tour like USH. Eisner saw those plans when he worked for Paramount, then Disney announced suspiciously similar plans for MGM Studios after he became CEO. Uni threw out their plans and turned everything that was supposed to be on the tram tour into stand-alone rides. Sam Gennawey wrote a good book about it called “Disney vs Universal” which I excerpt in my book...
Ah yes, the blatant "Disney's Universal Hollywood Studios" park. Ill be sure to check it out!

I’m sure they’ve explored the possibility, but I don’t think Universal (the company at large) views it as the right sort of thing for Orlando. Again, there is no actual history on the east coast. No major movies or smash-hit, zeitgeist TV shows were shot at Universal. There is no single, enigmatic persona that symbolizes Universal (like Disney) to draw people in. Most of all, it’s not why people go to Orlando. It’s never been. A museum of any sort, unless integrated into the queue, is a waste of space at the theme parks. Even One Man’s Dream was tucked into an empty, unused soundstage (and if the rumor it’s moving to Disney Springs is true, it’s moving to an empty store front).

Fact is, most people simply don’t care. A historic walk-through is for a niche group of movie buffs who can actually name numerous Universal movies from several decades. The tram tour in Hollywood is historic, and a ride. Universal would need a ride that goes through history.

(Although, thinking about it—a Fallon-hosted “Trip through time” that revisits classic Universal films would be a hell of a retheme from “The Tonight Show.”)
Agreed, THAT is how you use Jimmy Fallon.

You definitely aren't wrong though on any of this. However, id like to think Jurassic Park makes people think of Universal, but maybe not.

EDIT: If anything, I wish they went for a full Mini 30 rock, where you have Fallon, a walkthrough museum of the history of NBC/Universal as a company, and then maybe a show if they had soundstage space a la Family Feud or whatever NBC game show their currently is. Makes it a wonderful mini land, and for corporate, thats corporate synergy they prolly get real excited over.

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
Example: We like Fallon & go on it often. I'm also a buff of network history, and I'm old enough to have experienced all of the various Tonight Shows, starting with Steve Allen. So, I
almost always stop on the first floor and browse through the Tonight Show museum display. BUT, rarely have I seen anyone else do the same. They generally walk by quickly
to get to the pre shows and ride on the second floor. Cedar Point has a terrific museum of it's past. Most everyone just walks by the displays and don't spend more than a few moments
looking at the historic photos and the old time pharmacy.
That's one of those best kept secrets of CP. Next time anyone is at that park, they should allot some time to check that museum out.

The queue was the best part of the entire attraction. If it was up to me, I'd say turn the whole thing into a NBC/Tonight Show museum, scrap the ride and Fallon all together and I'd be ok with it.
I vehemently disagree. I don’t make an effort to go on Race through New York, but when I do, I find that it’s clear everyone had a good time making a ride that turned out exceptionally well, much better than it could’ve been.
However, id like to think Jurassic Park makes people think of Universal, but maybe not.
Universal makes me think of the Monsters, Steven Spielberg, aaaand Bourne.

Imagine a F&F ride where all ride vehicles have a different shell representing and looking (as much as possible) to their counterparts in the movies. Looking at the FANDOM website (F&F wiki) there have been 137 cars featured in these movies so to pick the most favorite cars must be easy. And as the wand chooses the wizard the car chooses the passengers and you can get your own unique car from the movie in the store after you road an actual fast and furious ride with your head printed on the package (next to the cast). How cool is that (this is a freebie Universal, now build it).

I know GM tied up down the street, but doesn't Dom drive a Mustang anyway? I imagine Ford would at least cooperate if you wanted to make all the ride vehicles look like cool Ford cars.

I know GM tied up down the street, but doesn't Dom drive a Mustang anyway? I imagine Ford would at least cooperate if you wanted to make all the ride vehicles look like cool Ford cars.
Nope! The main dude in Tokyo Drift drives an old Mustang, but Dom drives a Charger, which is Dodge, owned by...

[checks notes]

...Fiat-Chrysler.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I vehemently disagree. I don’t make an effort to go on Race through New York, but when I do, I find that it’s clear everyone had a good time making a ride that turned out exceptionally well, much better than it could’ve been.

On my one and only time on it, I heard people saying “that was fun!”, as well as other comments around the park of people saying they enjoyed that ride. Personally, I loathed every minute of it and won’t even go on it if it was an escape from the rain. But to each their own.

On my one and only time on it, I heard people saying “that was fun!”, as well as other comments around the park of people saying they enjoyed that ride. Personally, I loathed every minute of it and won’t even go on it if it was an escape from the rain. But to each their own.
Yeah, that’s your opinion, and it’s valid.

Regardless, I really do think it was a labor of love for everyone involved - Universal Creative clearly went to town designing the façade, museum, and theater, ILM put everything into making New York look as much like New York as possible (I’ve been and can confirm), and I know for sure that the Tonight Show writers basically made it into their own “weather experiment” project of sorts. Regardless of what you think of the finished product, you gotta admire and respect the fact that this is probably the most effort put into a “screenz” ride yet.

Reactions: Mad Dog