The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9) | Page 128 | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
“Reskin” is such a weird term. There is a huge/varying scale with quality and design within that term. Especially because generally it comes with negative connotations.

Reskin could define:
- Hogsmeade 1.0
- Simpsons fast food boulevard/the land itself
- Whatever’s happening in Kidzone
- ToT into Mission Breakout
- Alien into Stitch
Yeah, reskins can be very different.

When I say I hope it's not a "reskin", I mostly mean that I don't want the general look of the land to stay basically the same, while just changing interiors.

Adding onto this, but wasn't Epic Universe originally meant to open in 2023? So Villain-Con and Kidzone might not have been planned before COVID, they were just designed to fill in the gaps.

I think Villain-Con (or something else) was eventually going to take over Shrek, but DreamWorks I feel might have been a newer development.

I was somewhat worried last year when I noticed the resort lacked maintenance, had horrible operations, etc. However, the last few months have shown a tremendous rebound.

Also, announcing closures without an announcement is what Universal has done for ages. Not much different than what they've done in the past.

They're building a whole new park, with 3 new resort hotels, and still planning upgrades for IOA/USF post-EU.
Posters keep insisting they’re getting the parks ready for 2025. Fine. But making both existing parks weaker - which is what removals without replacements do - is an odd way to go about achieving that goal. At this point, I’d argue doing nothing after opening Veloci would’ve been a better precursor to EU then what they’ve done.

Closing attractions without officially announced replacements is what Uni does, that’s true… but in the past, we’ve usually had a pretty firm idea of what was coming (or at least that something actually was coming) even if the details were vague. And it’s worth pointing out, closing attractions and then leaving the space vacant for many years is ALSO something Universal does, as Sinbad, Fear Factor, and the Toon Theater attest.

Now, if by 2024 or 2025 Uni gets a new parade, nighttime show, at least one big theater show, and some indication of construction on Poseiden, I will happily admit to being a gibbering alarmist who needed to keep the faith.

Finally, yes, Uni badly needs more family attractions. It’s the MAIN thing the park needs to build. But “family attraction” is NOT synonymous with cheap, underwhelming, simple, etc. Uni needs great family attractions, not reskinned playgrounds. It needs some top flight dark rides or an elaborate indoor boat ride.

I don't think the construction is timed to the movie if it's Zelda. I'd imagine it was related to the big success of Super Nintendo World out in Hollywood and Osaka, combined with the Mario Movie opening big. Wasn't there a rumor that said that Universal was sitting on projects to see if Nintendo was a success?
But I don’t see how the success of a Mario Kart land would translate to success of something far more niche just because it can be played on the same game console. It would be like green-lighting a Hop 2 ride because Villain Con does really well. I’m not seeing the connection, unless I’m not following.

Posters keep insisting they’re getting the parks ready for 2025. Fine. But making both existing parks weaker - which is what removals without replacements do - is an odd way to go about achieving that goal. At this point, I’d argue doing nothing after opening Veloci would’ve been a better precursor to EU then what they’ve done.

Closing attractions without officially announced replacements is what Uni does, that’s true… but in the past, we’ve usually had a pretty firm idea of what was coming (or at least that something actually was coming) even if the details were vague. And it’s worth pointing out, closing attractions and then leaving the space vacant for many years is ALSO something Universal does, as Sinbad, Fear Factor, and the Toon Theater attest.

Now, if by 2024 or 2025 Uni gets a new parade, nighttime show, at least one big theater show, and some indication of construction on Poseiden, I will happily admit to being a gibbering alarmist who needed to keep the faith.

Finally, yes, Uni badly needs more family attractions. It’s the MAIN thing the park needs to build. But “family attraction” is NOT synonymous with cheap, underwhelming, simple, etc. Uni needs great family attractions, not reskinned playgrounds. It needs some top flight dark rides or an elaborate indoor boat ride.
Right. Which they’ll get after EU opens. As we’re seeing today, with Posideon’s. Your argument is either do everything or do nothing before EU. It’s a strange stance to take. I truly don’t see how anyone can look at what Universal is doing right now and think, “they’re resting on their laurels.”

Dunno why people are saying that the parks are in a bad path after closing Shrek (which people begged for an upgrade), refurbishing Kidzone and closing Poseidon’s which is an attraction that has been out of the spotlight for years.
Hopefully an announcement comes soon, because unlike the mouse, Universal actually does what they announce.

I think Villain-Con (or something else) was eventually going to take over Shrek, but DreamWorks I feel might have been a newer development.
I feel Pokemon was originally set for Kid Zone, but after realizing they wanna wait until re-investment, they went with DreamWorks.

Now (if Legacy's comment on the Discord wasn't a joke), Pokemon might be set as the Simpsons replacement?

But I don’t see how the success of a Mario Kart land would translate to success of something far more niche just because it can be played on the same game console. It would be like green-lighting a Hop 2 ride because Villain Con does really well. I’m not seeing the connection, unless I’m not following.
The Legend of Zelda series is one of the best selling game franchises ever (especially Breath of the Wild). I don’t understand why certain people keep calling it niche. The highly anticipated Breath of the Wild sequel comes out next month.

That’s a bit of an extreme example for comparison. Zelda is the third highest selling Nintendo related franchise only behind Mario and Pokémon. So “niche” is maybe not the right word here.

The Legend of Zelda series is one of the best selling game franchises ever (especially Breath of the Wild). I don’t understand why certain people keep calling it niche. The highly anticipated Breath of the Wild sequel comes out next month.
It's not as ubiquitous as Mario and friends, but it is still wildly popular

Especially if it gets an Illumination film

Yea. Breath of the Wild sold 30 million copies, which is an absurd number for a console exclusive.

They are. It’s just not your type of new C/D ticket.

I mean, we were talking about rides, right? Villain-Con isn't a ride, and there's nothing new on the C/D-ticket scale coming to KidZone (unless something has changed). Isn't that all going to be re-themes or replacements of equivalent scale to what was there?

If there's a better place to have this discussion, let me know.

I wouldn't go as far to call it "niche", but I understand where some people are coming from. Zelda is a beloved series amongst the gaming community, but it has never become a beloved icon in the mainstream compared to something like Mario or Pokemon. It definitely has the potential to be a great land though.

I'll confess that I have no idea how popular the series is in 2023 and with how many people it is popular. I haven't played a Zelda game in more than 20 years and couldn't have told you how long ago a new game had come out — and I own a switch. I think that's part of where skepticism comes from. it's not as ubiquitous as Mario is among those who don't directly engage with it.

that said, it might make for a very popular, engaging theme park attraction! I literally have no idea! but it's not (to me) as known a quantity as Mario, Yoshi and King Boo.

Universal Orlando has existed for 32 years without an elaborate indoor boat ride, and only having one top flight family dark ride. Maybe they don't "need" what you want them to "need".

Zelda isn't niche for a video game, it's Nintendo's fourth biggest IP (and second oldest). It's also iconic in video game history. The IP has exploded in popularity with Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom, and with a movie or TV series inevitably on the way it's easy to imagine why they'd go with it.

And tbh, this is the same park that has Toon Lagoon. Zelda is more relevant that Popeye and Dudley Do Right, that's for sure.

I'll confess that I have no idea how popular the series is in 2023 and with how many people it is popular. I haven't played a Zelda game in more than 20 years and couldn't have told you how long ago a new game had come out — and I own a switch. I think that's part of where skepticism comes from. it's not as ubiquitous as Mario is among those who don't directly engage with it.
I absolutely do not believe you own a Switch and never heard of Breath of the Wild.