The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9) | Page 105 | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Are there really no other spots for cheer competitions to compete in/receive awards? Just thinking about the soundstages (which I know are partly occupied by HHN for a good chunk of the year, but rarely are they all used), meeting space at the larger hotels, maybe the Plaza berm?
Audience bleachers for things like Grinch or TV shows in the soundstages can’t compete with the number of seats at Toon if I’m remembering right.

They also use the stage against the CityWalk lagoon too I think though.

Reactions: Coolbfitz
Are there really no other spots for cheer competitions to compete in/receive awards? Just thinking about the soundstages (which I know are partly occupied by HHN for a good chunk of the year, but rarely are they all used), meeting space at the larger hotels, maybe the Plaza berm?
There is nowhere that can easily sit 800-1,200 people...

Reactions: Coolbfitz
Audience bleachers for things like Grinch or TV shows in the soundstages can’t compete with the number of seats at Toon if I’m remembering right.

They also use the stage against the CityWalk lagoon too I think though.
There is nowhere that can easily sit 800-1,200 people...
Just asking! You guys are the experts.

Well, if our problem is twofold, having a place for the competitions to shack up for parts of the year while having something else to fill that real estate every other part of the year, would it be possible to have a show with assets that are technologically up-to-snuff, but can be transported either away from or elsewhere in the theatre so that the competitions can still do their thing without a hitch?

Just asking! You guys are the experts.

Well, if our problem is twofold, having a place for the competitions to shack up for parts of the year while having something else to fill that real estate every other part of the year, would it be possible to have a show with assets that are technologically up-to-snuff, but can be transported either away from or elsewhere in the theatre so that the competitions can still do their thing without a hitch?
Building something permanent behind Seuss for a show there would be my suggestion. And then flatten Sindbad/Poseidon for a new indoor ride for retheme of Lost Continent. But that’s me.

Building something permanent behind Seuss for a show there would be my suggestion. And then flatten Sindbad/Poseidon for a new indoor ride for retheme of Lost Continent. But that’s me.
I like that!

Submitted for the approval of the Midnight Society, the notion that the space behind One Fish, Two Fish is just about the size of the Toon amphitheater (and, indeed, Sindbad, as I’ve just noticed):

4C08C9E5-C26A-44A7-A52B-D180698A82D1.jpeg

I don’t know what those trailers by the access road are for, but if they’re non-essential or can be relocated, I’d raze the Toon amphitheater and build a slightly bigger space behind Seuss, leaving the real estate available for a Toon attraction. All comes down to what management feels ought to get overhauled first.

While I can understand why Universal may want to prioritize other uses for the Toon Lagoon theater, as a park guest who will never take part in what Universal wants to use it for, I don't think I can be faulted for wanting to see an actual attraction go in that space.

Or Sindbad. Pick one.

But leaving both large theaters devoid of attractions for park guests for further years on end is not something I'd like to see.

I like that!

Submitted for the approval of the Midnight Society, the notion that the space behind One Fish, Two Fish is just about the size of the Toon amphitheater (and, indeed, Sindbad, as I’ve just noticed):

View attachment 14630

I don’t know what those trailers by the access road are for, but if they’re non-essential or can be relocated, I’d raze the Toon amphitheater and build a slightly bigger space behind Seuss, leaving the real estate available for a Toon attraction. All comes down to what management feels ought to get overhauled first.
Those trailers are just project trailers for Hagrid/JW from what I remember.

While I can understand why Universal may want to prioritize other uses for the Toon Lagoon theater, as a park guest who will never take part in what Universal wants to use it for, I don't think I can be faulted for wanting to see an actual attraction go in that space.

Or Sindbad. Pick one.

But leaving both large theaters devoid of attractions for park guests for further years on end is not something I'd like to see.
I'm with Alicia on this. Basically raze Poseidon and Sindbad and turn that into an actual attraction that guests flock to while retheming the land.

So, let’s make that E ticket Zelda ride happen lol. A full time show in Seuss Landing I’ve always felt would be perfect. I wonder what traffic in the park would be like if LC was a major draw, which it’s never been in my time going to Universal. I can’t imagine how crowded the top right of the park would be between that and Hogsmeade. Perfect time then to add a show somewhere.

Large shows are important because they diversify the theme park experience, slow the day down a bit, and give families and older people an option from hardcore thrill rides. They're kind of the added dressing that
differentiates theme parks from amusement parks, and elevates the totality of a day at the parks. They really shouldn't be judged on the same terms as a ride, in relation to overall daily capacity or return on investment.
It just seems something is missing in a park when it doesn't have an impact large theater show.

Large shows are important because they diversify the theme park experience, slow the day down a bit, and give families and older people an option from hardcore thrill rides. They're kind of the added dressing that
differentiates theme parks from amusement parks, and elevates the totality of a day at the parks. They really shouldn't be judged on the same terms as a ride, in relation to overall daily capacity or return on investment.
It just seems something is missing in a park when it doesn't have an impact large theater show.
Very true, especially for a Vacation at Universal as the shows can’t really extend your day. Back when T2, HMUS, Fear Factor, Beetlejuice and Animal Actors were all open and that changes your day entirely! We always made the effort for Beetlejuice and FF, which then meant a disaster ride too since it’s right there, and boom 2 hours of our day is now gone. Not trying to kill time, but extending days here is important.

Reactions: Mad Dog
I'm all for Shows...but Universal has lost its edge....Bill and Ted was great but no can't do that any more....I just feel like new shows are fine like I really prefer Shrek 4D to Kunfu Panda. Shrek feels like a literal sequel while Panda is some none important "adventure"
Tech wise they have improved but story telling wise I feel like newer shows just feel more generic

Reactions: WowFactor and Jwhee
I'm all for Shows...but Universal has lost its edge....Bill and Ted was great but no can't do that any more....I just feel like new shows are fine like I really prefer Shrek 4D to Kunfu Panda. Shrek feels like a literal sequel while Panda is some none important "adventure"
Tech wise they have improved but story telling wise I feel like newer shows just feel more generic
Have you seen Bourne?

100% this. A show (in the ac) and a omnimover/boat-ride non-motion/3D dark ride is what's holding me back from calling IOA the best park in the US.

I've yet to eat at Mythos, I'll make sure to drop by there for lunch next time. That grilled cheese does sound good, even if I regret it walking around the park after.

Reactions: SkiBum
100% this. A show (in the ac) and a omnimover/boat-ride non-motion/3D dark ride is what's holding me back from calling IOA the best park in the US.
A show and a dark ride still wouldn't get IOA anywhere close to Disneyland.

While shows make sense from an academic perspective and they do soak up people for a long duration, the economics are usually rather poor when competing against other ideas in the approval phase. They're also much riskier (the GSAT range from a good script to a bad script is easily 30ppt) and decidedly less marketable to the masses, nighttime spectaculars excluded.

Reactions: Clive and Legacy
A show and a dark ride still wouldn't get IOA anywhere close to Disneyland.

While shows make sense from an academic perspective and they do soak up people for a long duration, the economics are usually rather poor when competing against other ideas in the approval phase. They're also much riskier (the GSAT range from a good script to a bad script is easily 30ppt) and decidedly less marketable to the masses, nighttime spectaculars excluded.

The big complaint of IOA is that it is a "hot" park with little indoor locations to relax in (especially when it rains). Disneyland is fortunate to be in a good climate with nice weather 90% of the year. A good show will always be a big draw look at Water World, Lion King, etc.

The big complaint of IOA is that it is a "hot" park with little indoor locations to relax in (especially when it rains). Disneyland is fortunate to be in a good climate with nice weather 90% of the year. A good show will always be a big draw look at Water World, Lion King, etc.
But even Disney, who are pretty spectacular with their shows, can be hit and miss with their quality. That’s the risk of a show.