Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9)

But remember, this is all strictly blue sky/rumor at this point. But I have heard that it has been discussed. As far as I know they still haven't nailed down the KidZone redo IPs yet and this would come after that.

If they followed through with Wonka, would it be based on the Burton movie, or would it be a fresh vision?

I think it's a pretty awesome idea as a new land. It's visually interesting, based on a beloved book by a beloved author, and addresses the 'not-enough-rides-for-kiddies' issue (and as you said, the food merchandising potential is limitless).

Poseidon becoming a Wonka ride would be absolutely amazing. It would fit perfectly, the water vortex could become the chocolate river they traverse down. There is also enough space to do something interesting without having too much space that it feels like they're stretching the world thin.

My biggest quarrel with Wonka is that everything that happens and everything interesting is within the factory (which if it were to happen would just be the Poseidon' Fury building). What would they do with the rest of the land? I could imagine a Wonka World outside the ride with colors all about, but that's what we have Seuss' Landing for.

My biggest quarrel with Wonka is that everything that happens and everything interesting is within the factory (which if it were to happen would just be the Poseidon' Fury building). What would they do with the rest of the land? I could imagine a Wonka World outside the ride with colors all about, but that's what we have Seuss' Landing for.

I don't think it will be a problem. For one thing, they could have the entrance of the land themed to look like the imposing facade of the factory. Once you pass through the gates, you are technically inside the factory grounds.

Aesthetically, I think they'd strive to make it look quite different from Suess Landing. Picture a steampunk, industrial aesthetic mixed with the vibrant colours of a 'candy land'. It would be neat to see chocolate rivers and fountains weaving their way through the land.

Hm idk if this really excites me? Just always been a fan of lost continent and this more family kidish side kind of depressing.

If Willy Wonka does happen, would it take over both the Greek and Arabian parts of LC?

If so, then I think they should throw a ride based on the boat sequence into the mix as well. Even though it wouldn't be able to be anywhere near as nightmarish. :lol:

Couple observations on the Dahl speculation:

1. I have always been a Roald Dahl fan and would love to see his work come to life in a format other than movies. His books, including James and the Giant Peach, The Witches, and The BFG define a part of my childhood. And he wrote Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (yes, the movie) which takes me back! A handful of the movie adaptations have ranged from mediocre to amazing.
2. UO has clearly found a great way to make money via food and beverage options that can easily tie into an IP. Harry Potter World has made them $$, and Duff Beer/FFB will, too. However, I am struggling to grasp what they can do with Dahl work. Obviously, Wonka products are a no-brainer, but let's not forget that there is a candy manufacturer that already exists branded as Wonka. What else is there? Peaches on a stick? Giant chocolate cakes to eat in front of a crowd of school children?

I just know I'll never be happy with whoever or whatever portrays Wonka. Wilder is that character and will always be I'm my eyes. It would definitely be a bit similar to Seuss, only a little more contained with its a craziness. I think it would be a nice transition to HP.

I just know I'll never be happy with whoever or whatever portrays Wonka. Wilder is that character and will always be I'm my eyes. It would definitely be a bit similar to Seuss, only a little more contained with its a craziness. I think it would be a nice transition to HP.

Agreed. Wilder's portrayal was iconic and timeless - as much as I love Depp, he never had a chance.

I'm very intrigued by the notion of a Wonka land/attraction... but I have my doubts. It isn't exactly a red hot property these days.

Hm idk if this really excites me? Just always been a fan of lost continent and this more family kidish side kind of depressing.

I think a 'Wonka Land' could be great, but I empathize with you also. Lost Continent has a sense of grandeur and epicness that reads as a lot more mature than something based on a Roald Dahl book.

I think Wonko land belongs where Toon Lagoon is more than LC. I don't know, I see more potential over there.

I kind of agree with IzzyB on this one - it just seems like Wonka would be a better fit in that area. However, it's not a large enough attraction base to warrant the TL footprint, whereas LC is small enough space to not feel like you're stretching the property but big enough to give it justice.
Whatever happens, I'd be very interested to see how this whole thing ended up developing. I loved the original movie version, although I haven't actually read the original children's book. The new movie version was meh in my honest opinion, so that wouldn't be very cool to me. But I think I'd love a land based around the Gene Wilder movie version.

As much as I think Wonka could make for an incredibly clever transition between Seuss Landing and Wizarding World, I shudder to think about losing the Atlantis area (Mythos, Treasures of Poseidon, and the still jaw-dropping Poseidon's Fury facade). The Arabian Village and Sinbad can leave tomorrow and I wouldn't mind, though I'd miss the Mystic Fountain. I just don't know how they'd be able to top Mythos...