The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9) | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Well, Mythos was rated the #1 theme park restaurant for quite a few years. I don't purchase a ticket JUST for Mythos, but it is a big part of my day.

Agreed! I know people dont pay to go just there even though with my annual pass i have caught my self just going there for lunch and leaving!!!:lol:

While there is Wonka branded candy all over, there are many, many different candies that are not widely sold. There's a store at Hollywood & Highland in LA that exclusively sells many Wonka branded candies and they could easily be sold at IOA as well.

Am I the only one who thinks having a factory as a facade for a thrill ride will look a bit dull and the British village would look too similar to Hogsmeade and what will be in UO once Diagon is complete? Also, both adaptations came out a while ago so is there really a strong fan base for it like Potter? I know Uni shouldn't just create themed attractions just to draw in a large demographic but a ride like Willy Wonka sounds like it would go better in Kidzone.....

Am I the only one who thinks having a factory as a facade for a thrill ride will look a bit dull and the British village would look too similar to Hogsmeade and what will be in UO once Diagon is complete? Also, both adaptations came out a while ago so is there really a strong fan base for it like Potter? I know Uni shouldn't just create themed attractions just to draw in a large demographic but a ride like Willy Wonka sounds like it would go better in Kidzone.....

Islands of Adventure is themed to literature :smiley: so Willy Wonka would fit just fine and actually provide a much better transition for Seuss and Potter IMO

Like I said earlier, I would much prefer Wonka to go where Toon Lagoon is... IMO.

In a money perspective, Toon Lagoon isn't as big a problem to Comcast as Lost Continent is: two mediocre attractions and a land people bypass for Potter. Aside from Mythos and the impeccable theming, what is there to do is this area? TL has Dudley and Popeye, two popular water rides, and a decent play area along with some sight gags.

Toon Lagoon needs to get fixed but with something bigger than Wonka while Lost Continent needs some sort of fix

Well, Mythos was rated the #1 theme park restaurant for quite a few years. I don't purchase a ticket JUST for Mythos, but it is a big part of my day.

Does merchandise also include candy? The Toys R Us in Times Square has an entire Willy Wonka section that seems pretty successful.

I was putting Candy under food... I thought the IP had great food potential, but wasn't sure how it would do in the merchandise side, t-shirts, trinkets, things like that.

In a money perspective, Toon Lagoon isn't as big a problem to Comcast as Lost Continent is: two mediocre attractions and a land people bypass for Potter. Aside from Mythos and the impeccable theming, what is there to do is this area? TL has Dudley and Popeye, two popular water rides, and a decent play area along with some sight gags.

Toon Lagoon needs to get fixed but with something bigger than Wonka while Lost Continent needs some sort of fix

Exactly. Right now Lost Continent is the least popular land in the park and the park could use a new land to add capacity and spread out the crowds. It seems to me on most visits(aside from winter) that Marvel, Seuss, Potter, and Toon Lagoon are continuously busy and JP can be while Lost Continent isn't. Of course LC doesn't have any rides anymore.

Exactly. Right now Lost Continent is the least popular land in the park and the park could use a new land to add capacity and spread out the crowds. It seems to me on most visits(aside from winter) that Marvel, Seuss, Potter, and Toon Lagoon are continuously busy and JP can be while Lost Continent isn't. Of course LC doesn't have any rides anymore.

What figures do you have exactly that suggest Lost Continent is "the least popular land in the park"? Are Mythos sales down? Is Sinbad not filling up seats? Is Poseidon's Fury not attracting people?

I think that when you compare a land with no rides to a land with two low-capacity water rides such as Toon Lagoon, you're not going to get a fair evaluation of how popular each one is. Now, you may have some hard facts that I don't have but the way I see it, Toon Lagoon and Lost Continent are incomparable...if you're judging popularity by queue times, you can't because Ripsaw Falls and Popeye are low-capacity rides. If you're judging popularity by food sales, you're discounting Mythos, one of the best theme park restaurants in the world. If you're judging by merchandise sales, you have to look at the success of Lost Continent's rather successful specialty shops that Toon Lagoon has no comparison to. And if you're judging it by level of theming then Lost Continent would win by a landslide.

Regardless, I hate the idea of Willy Wonka in IOA--something about it just rubs me the wrong way. It's just one story, I feel like there isn't enough substance to draw from for an entire land (yes, Jurassic Park, although dinosaurs are a lot broader and more popular than a theme like candy). The movies are just creepy to me. Also, something I've noticed, the Wonka candy company sells mostly fruity candy rather than chocolate (Bottle Caps, Shockers, etc) so would Universal have to create another line of Wonka candy just to fit in theme?

Reactions: Clive
What figures do you have exactly that suggest Lost Continent is "the least popular land in the park"? Are Mythos sales down? Is Sinbad not filling up seats? Is Poseidon's Fury not attracting people?

I think that when you compare a land with no rides to a land with two low-capacity water rides such as Toon Lagoon, you're not going to get a fair evaluation of how popular each one is. Now, you may have some hard facts that I don't have but the way I see it, Toon Lagoon and Lost Continent are incomparable...if you're judging popularity by queue times, you can't because Ripsaw Falls and Popeye are low-capacity rides. If you're judging popularity by food sales, you're discounting Mythos, one of the best theme park restaurants in the world. If you're judging by merchandise sales, you have to look at the success of Lost Continent's rather successful specialty shops that Toon Lagoon has no comparison to. And if you're judging it by level of theming then Lost Continent would win by a landslide.

Regardless, I hate the idea of Willy Wonka in IOA--something about it just rubs me the wrong way. It's just one story, I feel like there isn't enough substance to draw from for an entire land (yes, Jurassic Park, although dinosaurs are a lot broader and more popular than a theme like candy). The movies are just creepy to me. Also, something I've noticed, the Wonka candy company sells mostly fruity candy rather than chocolate (Bottle Caps, Shockers, etc) so would Universal have to create another line of Wonka candy just to fit in theme?

All good points and I agree all over the place. I could live with Wonka, but somehow it doesn't sit right with me. It feels out of place, despite being "literature" as per the unspoken connecting thread of the islands.

Honestly, I'd argue Lost Continent probably makes more merchandise sales through its specialty sales (I have a few neat figures & pieces from those shops) than Toon Lagoon makes on its Dudley Do Right merchandise. Popeye might sell some items, as could Betty Boop... but overall the Kings Row comics lineup doesn't exactly scream lucrative merchandise opportunities. I mean, they converted WossaMotta U into a smartphone accessory store and charging station... For that matter, as Tyler pointed out, Mythos remains popular and likely outsells Comic Strip Cafe (easily the most barren/uninteresting restaurant in the resort following the demise of International Food & Film Festival), Blondie's, and Wimpy's (when it's open).

To chime in on this thread with a few points.

Firstly I like the original Wonka IP as it offers a lot of potential for design etc. BUT I like Lost Continent being a non IP location just based off literature of the time, with original attractions and beautiful theming. While I agree it needs help and soon I would rather see it sticking to the theme or going to literature that is less movie based, although admittedly that can limit a franchises appeal and there is often reasons it's not a film.

Secondly, there is now a Wonka musical in London which uses a new interpretation of the Wonka but still uses some of the original songs. If uni did it I would like to see an original interpretation not based directly off either if the films. I just feel it may be stronger to combine the two design styles.

I must be one of the few who enjoys Toon Lagoon. I don't go to IOA for TL, but it is always a fun stop to cool off. If they ever get rid of Ripsaw Falls, I'll be pretty mad.

Lost Continent needs more help since it was practically neutered by Potter.

I just wanted to reiterate that as far as I know Charlie and the Cocolate factory was just a pitch. As in a mock up of an idea to present to management. I have no idea how well the pitch was received.

I must be one of the few who enjoys Toon Lagoon. I don't go to IOA for TL, but it is always a fun stop to cool off. If they ever get rid of Ripsaw Falls, I'll be pretty mad.

Lost Continent needs more help since it was practically neutered by Potter.

I'm right there with you. Toon Lagoon is a great spot in the park purely for the 2 water rides. Sure Dudley needs a LOT of work, but nothing that a lengthly downtime couldn't fix.

TL is a family dark ride away from being a fantastic island.

I'm right there with you. Toon Lagoon is a great spot in the park purely for the 2 water rides. Sure Dudley needs a LOT of work, but nothing that a lengthly downtime couldn't fix.

TL is a family dark ride away from being a fantastic island.

You hit the nail on the head!! :thumbs:

A family dark ride, a show, and a lengthy upgrade for Dudley is all TL needs since Popeye is 99% perfect, the ship gives the kiddies some fun and the gags really throw you back to the old days of the comic strip. Although I do wish TL and JP had a better transition :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

Is the IP available as at the moment as Alton Towers have a Charlie and the Chocolate Factory ride (which is utter garbage)

As long as they base it on the book rather than the movie (I think that's what Alton Towers based theirs on), Universal could probably build a Wonka area. And they could always show Alton Towers a nice paycheck :thumbs:

I just wanted to reiterate that as far as I know Charlie and the Cocolate factory was just a pitch. As in a mock up of an idea to present to management. I have no idea how well the pitch was received.

Hmm well you managed to give us something to blab about for a couple days...:pound:

Its interesting any ways to see how people feel about lost continent

Has anyone thought of OZ (aka Emerald City so as to remain in the Wicked Universe) as a replacement for LC?

I've always wanted an Oz dark ride