The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9) | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I just wanted to reiterate that as far as I know Charlie and the Cocolate factory was just a pitch. As in a mock up of an idea to present to management. I have no idea how well the pitch was received.

Based on the details you gave (family boat ride, glass elevator E-ticket, family-friendly flat ride) and the HUGE merchandising opportunities (chocolate galore!!!), I'd guess the pitch went well with Comcast :lol:

At Disney, they'd turn the glass elevator into a slow-moving observation tower:p the boat ride would have cutouts and the flat ride would get replaced with a Next-Gen show :rofl:

But seriously, these kinds of rumors are a ton of fun to talk about regardless of whether they get built or not

You hit the nail on the head!! :thumbs:
As long as they base it on the book rather than the movie (I think that's what Alton Towers based theirs on), Universal could probably build a Wonka area. And they could always show Alton Towers a nice paycheck :thumbs:

Alton Towers' ride is very much based around the books. There's talk that it's leaving the park, and I'm sure that there isn't an exclusivity deal on the IP, so I don't see any issues with Universal getting the correct permissions. Universal could do so much more with the property than Alton Towers have. I must admit if this idea does get passed through I'm quite excited for it!

Based on the details you gave (family boat ride, glass elevator E-ticket, family-friendly flat ride) and the HUGE merchandising opportunities (chocolate galore!!!), I'd guess the pitch went well with Comcast :lol:

At Disney, the glass elevator, the boat ride, and the flat ride would get replaced with a meet and greet of the kids and their parents, not even an Oompa Loompa, or Wonka himself.

But seriously, these kinds of rumors are a ton of fun to talk about regardless of whether they get built or not

Fixed that for ya. :p

Is the IP available as at the moment as Alton Towers have a Charlie and the Chocolate Factory ride (which is utter garbage)

International rights are always a tricky thing. Especially considering that Merlin doesn't really have any properties in the US that would be a good fit, they probably only bought the rights for the UK.

This idea, along with what we've heard about Kong returning, could be the start of an interesting trend at Universal. Maybe IPs are still important, but a recent, successful movie isn't.

And you could make the same argument about Wonka that many have made about Carsland. Even if the specific franchise dwindles in popularity, kids are always going to be interested in candy and cars.

I also think that many are underestimating the appeal of the franchise for adults. Not only do many have fond memories of the movie and books, but Dahl is also one of the most sophisticated children's writers of the 20th century. If Universal Creative is able to translate his specific sensibility to a theme park setting, it could be a lot of fun for everybody.

Reactions: Jenstar
This idea, along with what we've heard about Kong returning, could be the start of an interesting trend at Universal. Maybe IPs are still important, but a recent, successful movie isn't.

And you could make the same argument about Wonka that many have made about Carsland. Even if the specific franchise dwindles in popularity, kids are always going to be interested in candy and cars.

I also think that many are underestimating the appeal of the franchise for adults. Not only do many have fond memories of the movie and books, but Dahl is also one of the most sophisticated children's writers of the 20th century. If Universal Creative is able to translate his specific sensibility to a theme park setting, it could be a lot of fun for everybody.

If done right, this could easily make people stop by the Chocolate Factory on the way to Hogsmeade. Not to mention that it would be the perfect transition between Potter and Seuss - and it helps to solidify the literature theme that threads all of the Islands together

I think that instead of relying upon the fans of an older, not currently popular IP (like Wonka) to support a new land, it's more likely Universal's strategy could be to create new fans by building a great new land based upon an older, not currently popular IP.

What I mean is that my 3 kids, for example, don't know or care much about Willie Wonka. But if Uni built a killer WonkaLand (I have no doubt that they could), I guarantee my kids would love it and quickly become fans of the IP. And as a result, I'd be buying them Golden Ticket Wonka Bars, $7.99 Fizzy Lifting Drinks, and Violet Beauregarde "Three-Course-Dinner Gum" by the pound.

What I mean is that my 3 kids, for example, don't know or care much about Willie Wonka. But if Uni built a killer WonkaLand (I have no doubt that they could), I guarantee my kids would love it and quickly become fans of the IP. And as a result, I'd be buying them Golden Ticket Wonka Bars, $7.99 Fizzy Lifting Drinks, and Violet Beauregarde "Three-Course-Dinner Gum" by the pound.

I became a Back To The Future fan because of Back To The Future Ride, but I think it's a pretty dangerous bet to make. Not sure if Universal would build an entire island based on the hope that they can make it become popular again.

I became a Back To The Future fan because of Back To The Future Ride, but I think it's a pretty dangerous bet to make. Not sure if Universal would build an entire island based on the hope that they can make it become popular again.

Back to the Future is an amazing trilogy but Wonka is pretty timeless so they don't need a new movie to keep him popular - same with Kong, Frankenstein, Dracula, Scooby-Doo, etc. They're timeless characters and a land/ride based on any of them would be solid additions. Back to the Future isn't as timeless but it definitely deserved to stay. I think Springfield should have been built in the huge plot next to MIB IMO while BTTF stayed where it was and got a massive upgrade. I can't see them bringing it back unless a reboot/remake comes out in the next few years whereas King Kong is just cool and a ride based on him sells itself regardless of a new movie or not.

A chocolate factory with floating fizzy drinks, a glass elevator and a trippy boat ride with lots of color (they have to have the tunnel scene!! :p) would appeal without there being a current IP since everyone knows what Willy Wonka is. The movies air all the time on ABC Family and chocolate is as universal as magic, superheroes, dinosaurs, Dr. Seuss, cars, aliens, etc. Based on the proposal posted on here, I'd definitely make a trip just for it!

Back to the Future is an amazing trilogy but Wonka is pretty timeless so they don't need a new movie to keep him popular - same with Kong, Frankenstein, Dracula, Scooby-Doo, etc. They're timeless characters and a land/ride based on any of them would be solid additions. Back to the Future isn't as timeless but it definitely deserved to stay. I think Springfield should have been built in the huge plot next to MIB IMO while BTTF stayed where it was and got a massive upgrade. I can't see them bringing it back unless a reboot/remake comes out in the next few years whereas King Kong is just cool and a ride based on him sells itself regardless of a new movie or not.

A chocolate factory with floating fizzy drinks, a glass elevator and a trippy boat ride with lots of color (they have to have the tunnel scene!! :p) would appeal without there being a current IP

Agreed. And unlike an I.P like BTTF or Terminator, or even something like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, the time period of a 'Wonka Land' could remain fairly indeterminate. A quaint Victorian English village and a wacky, post-industrial-esque factory are things that won't look terribly dated in ten or even twenty years. In that way, it's a perfect I.P. for a theme park (much in the same way fairy tale castles never go out of style. Unless the castle is decorated like a pink birthday cake, that is :ears:)

Last edited:
A chocolate factory with floating fizzy drinks, a glass elevator and a trippy boat ride with lots of color (they have to have the tunnel scene!! :p) would appeal without there being a current IP since everyone knows what Willy Wonka is. The movies air all the time on ABC Family and chocolate is as universal as magic, superheroes, dinosaurs, Dr. Seuss, cars, aliens, etc. Based on the proposal posted on here, I'd definitely make a trip just for it!

As someone in my mid-20's, I would not ride anything that would include that scene! It horrified the first time I saw it as a child, and still does today. :lol:

I think you would be the only one.

If Universal advertised the glass elevator crashing through the roof and chocolate rivers, I'm pretty sure plenty of people would come :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

As someone in my mid-20's, I would not ride anything that would include that scene! It horrified the first time I saw it as a child, and still does today. :lol:

Exactly! It would make it a family ride rather than a kiddie ride - WARNING: Gene Wilder may frighten you and your children with his occasionally eerie chanting whilst in the trippy 60s esque chocolate tunnel, please be advised this ride may weird you and your entire family out. You may be leery of men in purple suits with top hats by the end of the tour :lol:

I believe Wonka would be great for food and merchandise sales. Some people may not know this but the candy company is based on the book and movies. They had candy bars, but their more unusual candies are what sold. And I do not see it being a problem for them to add more varieties for the theme park.

I'm starting to feel as if this will clash with Seuss and Toon Lagoon...hopefully they will do a European village..

anyone up for Dahl land and a James and The Giant Peach attraction?

I believe Wonka would be great for food and merchandise sales. Some people may not know this but the candy company is based on the book and movies. They had candy bars, but their more unusual candies are what sold. And I do not see it being a problem for them to add more varieties for the theme park.

I think everyone knows that... :lol:

But thats the thing with the fact that the actual Wonka company sells mostly Bottlecaps and other fruity candy like that--it clashes with the theme of a chocolate factory. Obviously Wonka chocolate (the real-world company) isnt that good so would Universal have to market their own chocolate and brand it as Wonka. Do they want to do that?

I think everyone knows that... :lol:

But thats the thing with the fact that the actual Wonka company sells mostly Bottlecaps and other fruity candy like that--it clashes with the theme of a chocolate factory. Obviously Wonka chocolate (the real-world company) isnt that good so would Universal have to market their own chocolate and brand it as Wonka. Do they want to do that?

Given Hogsmeade and Springfield, I'd guess Universal would make original food products and exclusive merchandise for a Wonka land. But there'd probably be plain old Wonka chocolate bars in USF and CityWalk but IOA would for sure have the good stuff :smiley:

For that matter, as Tyler pointed out, Mythos remains popular and likely outsells Comic Strip Cafe (easily the most barren/uninteresting restaurant in the resort following the demise of International Food & Film Festival), Blondie's, and Wimpy's (when it's open).
Actually, you'd be surprised. While I'm going on almost 10-year-old experience as a Lead Cook at both restaurants and a lot has changed since (primarily the all-you-can-eat deal that Comic Strip participates in), we used to outsell Mythos and most every other restaurant at IOA. Oak and Strip would jockey month to month for the top spot.

In fact, despite higher menu prices, wine, beer and liquor availability and the generally more affluent clientele Mythos attracts, it generally was more middle of the pack. A counter service restaurant can serve 10 or more families in the same time it takes to turnover one table in a sit-down, so volume sales are in play. Second, Mythos' already short operating hours are often further-shortened by the number of catering events held there. Finally, despite all of the great food we created, do you know what most people ordered? The burger, chicken sandwich and pizza.

Regarding the prospect of Wonka coming, count me in the group not thrilled. Everything about it sounds redundant when compared to WWoHP.