The Future of The Simpsons Ride/Springfield (Orlando) | Page 21 | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of The Simpsons Ride/Springfield (Orlando)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Accidentally threw this in the USH Hollywood Simpsons thread, but might as well throw it here as well:

I'm probably one of the few around here that really likes the Simpson's attraction. But, 'it's time has come'. BTTF was my fav theme park ride in it's day. Simpson, almost as good, especially the great humor in the queue and preshows. Unfortunately, the ride system is out of tune with the times and it's old and clunky, so it's longevity is in question. Springfield has been a great addition since it's surprise redo in 2013. Fun restaurant, great outdoors bar, entertaining sight gags everywhere. I will definitely miss Springfield. Bottom line though, is that Pokemon, if it happens, should be a nice addition to the park and a real attendance draw. If Pokemon comes soon, along with the rejuvenated KidsZone, now Dreamworks, and the expanded DM/Minions area, this seems to set up the future USF as the strongest kids park of the USO campus. Very interesting, especially if they accelerate and start construction early, before the Simpsons contract ends around 2028.

They really need to do Pokemon and Zelda at the same time, so I am hoping the swap isn't reality and they just start moving workers from Epic over to the other parks. IOA desperately needs that capacity of lost continent. But Studios really needs a hit new ride, the last 3 have been very Meh.
Sounds like they will be working on Hogwarts Great Hall, Lugis mansion, and Pokémon at the same time. (Or at least some overlap). We may have to be patient for Zelda.

I don't like the sound of the Pokemon ride that Japan is getting at all, so I hope they go in a different direction at USF. The original rumored ride for KidZone (coaster through dark ride scenes) sounds infinitely more interesting to me, and much more in line with the idea of helping to start to rebalance the park's lineup (slightly) away from all the projection stuff.

I don't like the sound of the Pokemon ride that Japan is getting at all, so I hope they go in a different direction at USF. The original rumored ride for KidZone (coaster through dark ride scenes) sounds infinitely more interesting to me, and much more in line with the idea of helping to start to rebalance the park's lineup (slightly) away from all the projection stuff.
Hoping this is our version of the SLOP ride. Pokemon is a rather easy property to translate into the physical world. Think it could benefit from Na'vi River-esque scenic design blending projected backgrounds with animatronics/physical scenes.

I'm not going to lie, while I'm excited for Pokemon - I'm going to miss hanging out in Springfield. I've mentioned it before, but my absolute favorite thing to do at Universal is grab Bumblebee Man Tacos and hangout at Duff Gardens. RIP :(

And I might be crazy for saying this.. but does anyone else think Pokemon could draw Potter-level crowds? This is absolutely massive.

Bit of a mistake IMO.

Epic will have the mystique and allure of being a whole new park. The first big expansions post Epic should be at USF and IoA. Sure build the Great Hall but I think Zelda should come before Luigi.
While I'm not a fan of Zelda being delayed, I think Pokemon is needed desperately, even with DreamWorks and the USF nighttime package coming online.

IOA, with all of its faults, has taken reign over the resort and it is creating an unbalanced effect in the resort.

Bit of a mistake IMO.

Epic will have the mystique and allure of being a whole new park. The first big expansions post Epic should be at USF and IoA. Sure build the Great Hall but I think Zelda should come before Luigi.
Still could happen! Like Alicia said, things appear in flux and we don’t have an exact timeline for anything. But all 3 parks getting expansions is still exciting to me. Also, who knows what else is out there if we’re 11 days into 2024 and getting this news.

lol

Also I love how people nightmares where only Nintendo and Potter.....and yeah that's what we are getting the next 10 years and everyone seems excited now

Hoping this is our version of the SLOP ride. Pokemon is a rather easy property to translate into the physical world. Think it could benefit from Na'vi River-esque scenic design blending projected backgrounds with animatronics/physical scenes.
That would absolutely be the ideal. If Pokemon, as a property, doesn’t immediately lend itself to some kind of ride experience featuring a cast of dozens (and dozens) of animated figures*, then nothing at Universal ever will. The list of potential character options is almost literally endless.

If the Japan ride is just "Mario Kart, but you use your hands/arms," I'm not interested in seeing that at USF.

*Not necessarily all of them being full-blown animatronics, but at least figures with simple motion.

Last edited:
While I'm not a fan of Zelda being delayed, I think Pokemon is needed desperately, even with DreamWorks and the USF nighttime package coming online.

IOA, with all of its faults, has taken reign over the resort and it is creating an unbalanced effect in the resort.
I’m saying to have Pokémon and Zelda both come first before Luigi.
I'm not going to lie, while I'm excited for Pokemon - I'm going to miss hanging out in Springfield. I've mentioned it before, but my absolute favorite thing to do at Universal is grab Bumblebee Man Tacos and hangout at Duff Gardens. RIP :(

And I might be crazy for saying this.. but does anyone else think Pokemon could draw Potter-level crowds? This is absolutely massive.
Pokémon’s opening day is going to be absolutely massive even if it won’t be the only one in the world as I’m sure Japan’s will be first.

And if our land has more to do? Forget about it. You’ll see Japanese people coming too.

If this happens it will help to alter the traffic patterns at USF. Presently most everyone entering the park goes to their left, and few go to the right, Hollywood and beyond. There's not many ride draws on that side of the park. With a rejuvenated Dreamworks land, and a massively popular Pokemon, that should help to balance and disburse traffic a bit.

The powered coaster concept was not interactive. I have to imagine that was a non-starter for The Pokemon Company.

But also, Universal won't do any more suspended rides.

The powered coaster concept was not interactive. I have to imagine that was a non-starter for The Pokemon Company.
Asking as a genuine question: would they require every Pokemon attraction to be, in some way, interactive?

Would they object to a significant (secondary) attraction in a land being some kind of interactive scavenger hunt, or something, while the primary attraction is "just" a ride?

Pokemon could easily be the next massive franchise, certainly bigger than Zelda or Luigi's Mansion. I'd say it's probably about the same level of popularity as Mario, but it's less of a cultural institution. Mario had about 15 years of a headstart on Pokemon, and I'd say that Mario now is bigger than it ever has been before. The differences between the two franchises are their age and breadth of demographics. Pokemon skews younger, and only until recently wasn't really a nostalgia machine like Mario is. We're finally getting to the point where parents who played Pokemon are showing it to their kids, just like Mario in the past. So I think this could be a good chance for Universal to get in on the ground floor, on a franchise that is most likely only going up from here. Mario currently ticks off more boxes, but Pokemon is a heavily concentrated brick that dwarfs nearly all other competition for people under 30. Pokemon also sells a lot more merch, which is probably the biggest plus for the franchise at Universal. Simpsons is a good merch mover for them, but Pokemon has the opportunity to become THE merch juggernaut for the resort. Potter fans buy a wand and a Hogwarts house t-shirt. Pokemon fans buy plushies of their 3 favorite Pokemon, a dozen packs of cards, 4 t-shirts, accessories, candies, bath towels, literally anything Pokemon. Expect a lot of empty shelves (and a lot of eBay listings) in the first few months after the land opens.

• Love
Reactions: TheCodeMan95
Asking as a genuine question: would they require every Pokemon attraction to be, in some way, interactive?

Would they object to a significant (secondary) attraction in a land being some kind of interactive scavenger hunt, or something, while the primary attraction is "just" a ride?
DK is not interactive. Mario Kart and Yoshi are. Both SNW proper and DKC areas have interactive Power-Up Band activities. So, yea, they seemingly wouldn't require all be interactive.

But I have to imagine, hearing rumors for a half dozen Pokemon attraction concepts over the last 6 years, that the main one is gonna have to be highly interactive. Definitely feels like the direction planning was moving in. Just like SNW's Mario Kart.

Pokemon could easily be the next massive franchise, certainly bigger than Zelda or Luigi's Mansion. I'd say it's probably about the same level of popularity as Mario, but it's less of a cultural institution. Mario had about 15 years of a headstart on Pokemon, and I'd say that Mario now is bigger than it ever has been before. The differences between the two franchises are their age and breadth of demographics. Pokemon skews younger, and only until recently wasn't really a nostalgia machine like Mario is. We're finally getting to the point where parents who played Pokemon are showing it to their kids, just like Mario in the past. So I think this could be a good chance for Universal to get in on the ground floor, on a franchise that is most likely only going up from here. Mario currently ticks off more boxes, but Pokemon is a heavily concentrated brick that dwarfs nearly all other competition for people under 30. Pokemon also sells a lot more merch, which is probably the biggest plus for the franchise at Universal. Simpsons is a good merch mover for them, but Pokemon has the opportunity to become THE merch juggernaut for the resort. Potter fans buy a wand and a Hogwarts house t-shirt. Pokemon fans buy plushies of their 3 favorite Pokemon, a dozen packs of cards, 4 t-shirts, accessories, candies, bath towels, literally anything Pokemon. Expect a lot of empty shelves (and a lot of eBay listings) in the first few months after the land opens.
Pokémon has been popular with every generation of kids since its inception and has been bigger than Mario for about that same amount of time as well, it’s not even a question. Sure today’s parents are the first that grew up with it themselves but before now it was introduced to kids by other kids at school.

• Love
Reactions: TheCodeMan95