The Little Mermaid (Live Action) | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

The Little Mermaid (Live Action)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
One of the new songs (Scuttlebutt) is absolutely atrocious and definitely a reason to stop using Lin Manuel Miranda.
Man can write good songs but he can also absentmindedly collect a paycheck like the rest of us.

Also Awkwafina sings in this song, not sure how you can write your way around that.

Really really really liked it

Not a perfect movie...(they kept hinting at something but wouldn't tell us exactly what happened) but excceeded expectations. Halle is Ariel 100%

Last edited:
Money wise this full cost around lion king but will not make near that because of the WW appeal doesn’t seem ti be there with the last two remakes before this not doing well on Disney plus no idea of this will finally stop them from making more live action remakes

Money wise this full cost around lion king but will not make near that because of the WW appeal doesn’t seem ti be there with the last two remakes before this not doing well on Disney plus no idea of this will finally stop them from making more live action remakes
Audiences are just pickier now about which movies they choose to see in theaters. Streaming has changed the game.

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
Audiences are just pickier now about which movies they choose to see in theaters. Streaming has changed the game.
I agree but i wonder if this is the beginning of the end of these films

If they are barely returning in money are only liked by some people, and are t being added to the park then I see them as an easy thing to cut and focus on making new classics

Reactions: Trumen882
Little Mermaid will be fine, family movie legs and the beginning of summer will get it to a profitable number irrespective of what's happening overseas. Definitely a bit disappointing overseas but oh well.

I do think there's something to the idea that Disney needs to be more careful now that they've run through the big Renaissance hits (TLM, Lion King, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast). Classic-Disney remakes like Dumbo and Cinderella don't do nearly as the Renaissance movies, so it's an open question if Snow White will do anything, and stuff like Hunchback, Hercules and Lilo are a tier below in terms of the original film's box office. I doubt they're touching Pocahontas. And remaking Moana just feels desperate. The idea/fear that Disney had a perpetual motion machine where they could remake animated movies until their current canon was old enough to remake ended up not coming to pass.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clive
Little Mermaid will be fine, family movie legs and the beginning of summer will get it to a profitable number irrespective of what's happening overseas. Definitely a bit disappointing overseas but oh well.

I do think there's something to the idea that Disney needs to be more careful now that they've run through the big Renaissance hits (TLM, Lion King, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast). Classic-Disney remakes like Dumbo and Cinderella don't do nearly as the Renaissance movies, so it's an open question if Snow White will do anything, and stuff like Hunchback, Hercules and Lilo are a tier below in terms of the original film's box office. I doubt they're touching Pocahontas. And remaking Moana just feels desperate. The idea/fear that Disney had a perpetual motion machine where they could remake animated movies until their current canon was old enough to remake ended up not coming to pass.
I think it might lose some money on the box office. Needs to make over $700 million to break even which appears pretty unlikely, but I think it will easily make up that money lost on continued public awareness of the mermaid brand, merchandise, Disney Plus etc

A big issue, specifically with Disney movies, is that people look at a lot of them and even if they have positive word of mouth, many say “I can wait for it to come to Disney+”.

Disney has trained their audiences that their films will shortly be on their streaming service within a few month after release by continuing to do just that (with the exception of Avatar: The Way Of Water).

The need to change audience behavior by waiting longer between movies being in theaters and coming onto Disney+. The fact that Ant-Man 3 came out roughly 3 months after Avatar 2 and yet Quantumania hit Disney+ a month before TWOW says it all. The Avatar model is how it should be done. Make people wait and then they won’t have the attitude at the beginning of “I’ll just wait to see it on Disney+”.

Reactions: UNIrd
The cgi was really bad in some parts, the animals were kinda creepy ( some kids were scared) The movie was so long and the length made it a little boring. Not sure why they made it so long.

I watched this yesterday, and wow kind of shocked by how rough it was. The rotten tomatoes score is similar to beauty and the beast live action but found this so much worse.

I think Halle is a good singer but her acting was very flat(maybe director's fault)? Especially noticeable during the Part of your World reprise scene and triton scenes. King Triton and Arial's relationship is the heart of the original movie but completely missed in remake.

Between the rough CGI, poor direction, meh acting this movie is kind of a chore to watch

• Wow
Reactions: Lucky Planet
The cgi was really bad in some parts, the animals were kinda creepy ( some kids were scared) The movie was so long and the length made it a little boring. Not sure why they made it so long.
I assume its because
1) Animation cost for every scene to be finished so they made those films as tight as they could
2) Director wants this to be their version and add because they can
3) Disney seems to have a spending problem which allows directors to just film whatever they want. I know its not animated but look at Puss in Boots and the Mario movie both were like half or more then other Disney animated films

I watched this yesterday, and wow kind of shocked by how rough it was. The rotten tomatoes score is similar to beauty and the beast live action but found this so much worse.

I think Halle is a good singer but her acting was very flat(maybe director's fault)? Especially noticeable during the Part of your World reprise scene and triton scenes. King Triton and Arial's relationship is the heart of the original movie but completely missed in remake.

Between the rough CGI, poor direction, meh acting this movie is kind of a chore to watch

whenever someone has a negative review of one of these live action movies, the reply always is "well, it is for kids!" but then that goes against the runtime of this movie. there were parts where kids seemed bored, or restless.
they should have cut one hour of movie and fix the cgi.

Dan talks about the budget of this film, it just makes no...no sense to me how DIsney keeps throwing money at projects while Spiderman Across the Spider Verse is 100 million.....yet Disney is just making all there films needing to make 600+ million world wide to just break even.
It's bemusing to me Disney will throw money away on films but when it comes to the park the budgets are super tight

Saw this tonight in 3D as I enjoy the added depth. Was surprised the theater was sold out still, although it was Disney Springs. My initial thoughts right away? This will probably be blasphemy to some, but I realized that my only knowledge of the film I have is from seeing TLM stuff at WDW. Like, aside from Scuttlebutt, I didn't know that Eric's song was new at all. It seemed to fit in very well and was actually a really good song imo which is why i'm just so confused on Scuttlebutt.

Anyway, I really enjoyed everything up until Scuttlebutt. I get what they were going for with with that song, but I feel the movie would've been better off had that song been left on a shelf somewhere. You could feel the length of the movie a bit towards the end, but I only really say that because the whole Ursula battle at the end just had me not caring at all. I really liked Halle Bailey and the guy who played Eric though.

Overall, seeing as this was really my first time actually seeing The Little Mermaid in any fashion I don't have anything to compare it too, I thought it was pretty good and right next to Aladdin as my favorite Disney live action remake.

Saw this tonight in 3D as I enjoy the added depth. Was surprised the theater was sold out still, although it was Disney Springs. My initial thoughts right away? This will probably be blasphemy to some, but I realized that my only knowledge of the film I have is from seeing TLM stuff at WDW. Like, aside from Scuttlebutt, I didn't know that Eric's song was new at all. It seemed to fit in very well and was actually a really good song imo which is why i'm just so confused on Scuttlebutt.

Anyway, I really enjoyed everything up until Scuttlebutt. I get what they were going for with with that song, but I feel the movie would've been better off had that song been left on a shelf somewhere. You could feel the length of the movie a bit towards the end, but I only really say that because the whole Ursula battle at the end just had me not caring at all. I really liked Halle Bailey and the guy who played Eric though.

Overall, seeing as this was really my first time actually seeing The Little Mermaid in any fashion I don't have anything to compare it too, I thought it was pretty good and right next to Aladdin as my favorite Disney live action remake.

As the biggest scuttlebutt hater when the movie first came out....it actually works as a palate cleanser after I watched the movie the second/third time. Its just extremely jarring because the song comes out of absolutely nowhere with a vibe unlike anything else in the movie and just brings you out of the film a bit.

But once you know it's coming up, its not as bad and the lyrics are extremely witty.

As the biggest scuttlebutt hater when the movie first came out....it actually works as a palate cleanser after I watched the movie the second/third time. Its just extremely jarring because the song comes out of absolutely nowhere with a vibe unlike anything else in the movie and just brings you out of the film a bit.

But once you know it's coming up, its not as bad and the lyrics are extremely witty.

The song and lyrics are kinda funny but her voice is hard to hear. Specially when she says remember the swamp repeatedly. Very very uncomfortable to hear lol.

great mouse detective or bust

Bug's life lol