The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020) | Page 207 | Inside Universal Forums

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If Universal doesn't reopen until June or even later, then it might not seem prudent to start HHN in early September, especially if attendance is trickling in.

Universal could not open for regular guests until November, I'd still expect to see HHN in September. If anything, this year will be a throwback to the 00s, when the locals-driven Halloween event kept the lights on in the park during the day the rest of the year.

In general, as soon as this blows over I expect everything in Orlando to be very locals oriented until at least October 2021 (WDW's 50th). Deals and events designed to get locals to come back. That means a huge push for HHN, whatever the content is.

Universal could not open for regular guests until November, I'd still expect to see HHN in September. If anything, this year will be a throwback to the 00s, when the locals-driven Halloween event kept the lights on in the park during the day the rest of the year.

In general, as soon as this blows over I expect everything in Orlando to be very locals oriented until at least October 2021 (WDW's 50th). Deals and events designed to get locals to come back. That means a huge push for HHN, whatever the content is.

Lots of "value" adds like extra months on passes, ticket deals, etc. Basically see what Disney did in 2008-2010.

See, I know a lot of people find horror in times of crisis to be to off-putting (right after 9/11), but for me it works as catharsis. Your scenario would be a welcome treat.

Alright, can we please get off this topic?

Last edited:
Trying to steer the current situational conversation back on topic with regards to HHN Houses specifically, would it be a consideration for the team to decrease the number of attractions by shelving original houses for a year while pushing forward with a majority of IPs? Since they have to get the licensing and such sorted out combined with the fact that they likely want to have IP houses while the 'iron is hot' so to speak, would IP houses not be able to be held back a year if the event got that strained?

So, say an event that has 6-7 houses total and they would be Haunting of Hill House, Jordan Peele's Candyman, The Conjuring, Brides of Universal Monsters and one or two original houses (if one or two ties into the anniversary aspect or are real 'show stealers' in the eyes of creative)?

I'm really curious as to how they would handle IP things when they've likely done a lot of work with regards to them.

Trying to steer the current situational conversation back on topic with regards to HHN Houses specifically, would it be a consideration for the team to decrease the number of attractions by shelving original houses for a year while pushing forward with a majority of IPs? Since they have to get the licensing and such sorted out combined with the fact that they likely want to have IP houses while the 'iron is hot' so to speak, would IP houses not be able to be held back a year if the event got that strained?

So, say an event that has 6-7 houses total and they would be Haunting of Hill House, Jordan Peele's Candyman, The Conjuring, Brides of Universal Monsters and one or two original houses (if one or two ties into the anniversary aspect or are real 'show stealers' in the eyes of creative)?

I'm really curious as to how they would handle IP things when they've likely done a lot of work with regards to them.
The rumored lineup for this year isn’t really, I guess the word is, “timely.” So there aren’t a lot of concerns about any hot irons. Billy Eilish is likely the biggest “name” for Orlando this year. So, though I don’t think it’ll come to it, there’s no harm in holding an IP back for next year.

The originals are actually MORE timely this year. It’s an anniversary year. A Terra Cruentes house can only happen this year. An anniversary house can only happen this year. The messaging of any returning houses or characters only really works for an anniversary year.

If management decides to cut back (because it’ll be their decision, not A&D’s), I actually think an IP gets held.

I am expecting a frenzy once the parks open back up. I mean I don't know anything, but what I know about people tells me it will be a mad house once the parks open back up and the hype for HHN will be through the roof.

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
Simply based on the number of people with print-at-home tickets in front of me each trip I don't know if I'd agree.
They just take.. so... long...

Assuming there is an anniversary house, I'm really hoping it's included in Unmasking the Horror.

The rumored lineup for this year isn’t really, I guess the word is, “timely.” So there aren’t a lot of concerns about any hot irons. Billy Eilish is likely the biggest “name” for Orlando this year. So, though I don’t think it’ll come to it, there’s no harm in holding an IP back for next year.

The originals are actually MORE timely this year. It’s an anniversary year. A Terra Cruentes house can only happen this year. An anniversary house can only happen this year. The messaging of any returning houses or characters only really works for an anniversary year.

If management decides to cut back (because it’ll be their decision, not A&D’s), I actually think an IP gets held.
But will the non-Jack originals work to market the general public? I don't believe so.

Interesting! Makes me lean towards an idea that there will only be one or two 'current' IPs while the rest are more classic or cult stuff. So maybe only Haunting of Hill House and Candyman from a current pool with some things like Beetlejuice or The Thing with it. I was mainly curious with the 'behind the scenes' nature of getting outside IPs. If they pay to gain access to material, do they need to re-negotiate if they don't use it for that year? Is it just one contract until they do use the IP? I'm sure they're not all the same but would be fascinating to see that deep into it!

I concur with originals being more timely this year but we obviously don't know yet how much they'll be banging the anniversary year drum. Will it just be a single anniversary house and a Cruentes zone? Will there be multiple anniversary/legacy houses? Sequel houses would also help 'pop' the anniversary push but something like a Scarecrow sequel doesn't necessarily need to happen this year. Some seem to think it'll be a big celebration of the past whereas some think it'll just be a smaller blip in the whole scheme of the entire event. Either way it'll be riveting when it all starts getting rolled out!

Reactions: londonwerecat
The method they went for at 25 was 3 Originals that were throw backs, 1 anniversary house, the remainder were ips and 5 original scarezones no ips, which I can feel they'll change and throw in an ip which if it happens , I could see them going for The Purge as a go to scarezone since they own and they could use it promote not only the films but to also promote the tv series and we know the shows that will happen, I just see them doing what they did with 25, rehash the idea and leave it at that. If they bring Scarecrow or hold it and save it for next year could be a possibility, The Thing has been one of those properties that's talked about that has come and gone out of specs and stuff, if it doesn't happen this year, it wouldn't be bumming but I'm alright with it for next year. Beetlejuice maybe one of the top IPs for this year to try to get people through the door along with Candyman and HOHH, this year is not going to be what people expect and I am fine with that, I just want the event to happen at this point. I think anyone at this point really just wanna make sure the event is a go and not cancelled.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheCodeMan95
Man since CANDYMAN is more then likely not happening can we borrow that resident evil IP from hollywood;)

I don't think Candyman is coming, given that @Legacy said he didn't expect any slashers and Candyman was on the list of slasher movies he posted. If I were to guess, the properties that he's alluding to that aren't "timing" IPs are things like Beetlejuice and Creepshow. I would think Haunting of Hill House/Bly Manor WOULD be a timing IP given that the new season drops this year. Conjuring wouldn't have to be a timing IP even though the 3rd iteration releases on the day HHN opens - because Conjuring is a big enough property to where it could still come next year.

Halloween films, Scream, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Candyman, Psycho, I Know What You Did Last Summer, and Chucky would all appear to me OUT given the slasher info. Other big IPs like Conjuring (including Annabelle & The Nun), The Thing, Hellraiser, IT, Amityville Horror, all Romero, Suspiria, The Exorcist, Gremlins, all UCM, Drag Me To Hell, The Ring, The Omen, Alien(s), and Pumpkinhead would all likely be potentials under the "not slasher" umbrella (I'm not saying ANY of these are coming, just that they wouldn't be ruled out for being "slashers").

I don't think Candyman is coming, given that @Legacy said he didn't expect any slashers and Candyman was on the list of slasher movies he posted. If I were to guess, the properties that he's alluding to that aren't "timing" IPs are things like Beetlejuice and Creepshow. I would think Haunting of Hill House/Bly Manor WOULD be a timing IP given that the new season drops this year. Conjuring wouldn't have to be a timing IP even though the 3rd iteration releases on the day HHN opens - because Conjuring is a big enough property to where it could still come next year.

Halloween films, Scream, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Candyman, Psycho, I Know What You Did Last Summer, and Chucky would all appear to me OUT given the slasher info. Other big IPs like Conjuring (including Annabelle & The Nun), The Thing, Hellraiser, IT, Amityville Horror, all Romero, Suspiria, The Exorcist, Gremlins, all UCM, Drag Me To Hell, The Ring, The Omen, Alien(s), and Pumpkinhead would all likely be potentials under the "not slasher" umbrella (I'm not saying ANY of these are coming, just that they wouldn't be ruled out for being "slashers").
But, given that legacy also said that Billy E. is the biggest name, I'd also scratch off IT, The Exorcist, Alien(s), and whatever else people consider to be major titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.