Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Simpsons Ride (USH)

Projectors are already 4K, so that's not the issue. What's really needed is projectors capable of brighter output. The current system is a bit dull compared to what's currently available in the commercial market.

Yeah, they're basically the first gen 4k projectors of 2008.

I think the very dull colors and lack of brightness and cheap looking animation is what takes away from the projectors being "4k". They don't take advantage of the resolution IMO.

Funny then...the overall resolution of the Simpsons image is greater than 4k then, right Jon? There are, what, 3 or 4 projectors making up the entire image? And if each is 4k, that's a very large resolution of image. I think the relatively basic and cheap looking animation is what makes it seem less than ideal. BTTF restored would've benefited from multiple 4k projectors very much, as there was so much detail in the film.

But when/if they do switch it, it should be a relatively easy fix. Just switch out the projectors, recalibrate them to work together, and do some testing. I hope they get on it ASAP.

(If it were up to me, I'd completely redo the animation and make it higher quality and more detailed. Right now it looks like a 2008 era PC game...)

Funny then...the overall resolution of the Simpsons image is greater than 4k then, right Jon? There are, what, 3 or 4 projectors making up the entire image? And if each is 4k, that's a very large resolution of image. I think the relatively basic and cheap looking animation is what makes it seem less than ideal. BTTF restored would've benefited from multiple 4k projectors very much, as there was so much detail in the film.
Yes, just like certain portions of Transformers, the overall image is much higher than 4K when you blend all four projectors together (the canvas is more important than the individual parts).

That being said, I suspect that just because the projectors are capable of display an individual 4K segment doesn't necessarily mean they're being fed separate 4K streams. It's the source material that could be the problem coupled with the projector's low output.

The dream came close...

Let's say that only one dome is operating at the current time when I visited yesterday.
Interesting that this is the first time something like this happened in the buildings 21 year history. I wonder what happened. Hopefully they'll take this time to refurbish and update the attraction in time for Springfield.

Okay Chris, I read you loud and clear. BTTF is going on the other dome for the 2015 anniversary!

Oh God am I a sad excuse for a being...
As "impractical" as that is, it was always my dream for them to split the attraction and in a sense market it as two separate attractions...somehow. lol

Well my idea wasn't a permanent thing, but instead just for the 2015 off season. Just a dream though. I doubt it would ever happen.

Just had a random flashback for some reason. I remember before the ride opened, a few clips leaked on YouTube from a team member of the ride being tested, and it featured rough cuts/early rendered footage of the ride scenes, very rough animation. One specific clip that stayed around the longest was of the big ball that never finished high school. Universal removed it super fast though.

Makes me wonder if Supercharged didn't have 100% finished footage during the early employee testing? Although that wouldn't make sense to preview a ride that relies on projections with unfinished projections.

Here are two pics of The Simpsons Ride from Sunday night while at HHN...

Wye6WkB.jpg

HR8OFon.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: