The Soundstages: Stay or Go? | Inside Universal Forums

The Soundstages: Stay or Go?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Should The Soundstages Stay or Go?

• Total voters
Dec 13, 2009
Florida
I've seen several people bring up the future of the Universal Studios Florida Soundstages the last couple of days

On one side you have folks that claim they should go, and on the other side some claim they should stay

It's no secret that USF's identity is changing, and of course I've made my thoughts on Production Central stages public

I got to thinking, what are the implications on both sides? Would it even be worth it to remove them? How would HHN suffer?

Do you think they should leave or stay, and what would be done with the space?

Do you agree with Jim? And will @Joe respond to this thread with more than a one word answer?

I’m honestly torn at this point because regardless if they are being used or not I feel like a part of the parks identity would disappear if they decide to get rid of them.

Reactions: shiekra38
The soundstages to the left of PC can go for theme park expansions. If you do a cost analysis of having attractions there year round versus only opening it up for HHN, the benefits of the former outweigh the latter IMO. And if you are worried about losing HHN houses, they can also use that backstage area behind Simpsons and MIB. Problem solved.

farfanoogin em.

Hope for the soundstages is eternal, while the soundstages themselves are not.

As an HHN fan, and hoping that they stay, I will do a proposition of math to support keeping them. Let’s do some math, shall we?

43 event nights (HHN 31)

Ticket prices ranging from $66-$105, average of $84.

Express prices ranging from $89.99-$209.99, average of $153.

Let’s just say the average crowd per night (likely underselling by a lot here, just to give a generous baseline) is 20,000 persons. Not to mention most nights feeling what seems to be almost at capacity.

20,000 x $84 = $1,680,000
$1,680,000 x 43 = $72,240,000

Let’s say 25% of the crowd each night purchases express passes (once again, probably a low number).

25% of 20,000 = 3,750
5,000 x $153 = $765,000
$765,000 x 43 = $32,895,000

We are already now at an estimated total of $105,135,000 all for a two-month seasonal event of extra admission in the evening time.

Not counting food & beverage sales, merch, RIP tours, Behind the Screams, hotel rooms, and people making trips to come to the parks during the day just for the event, Universal has a steady year-after-year source of revenue that they have arguably perfected a formula for. Other outliers include annual passes, resident rates, Rush of Fear, and Frequent Fear passes, more dates each year, discount express passes during the night, Hurricanes from planting corn, reductions of costs for employment hourly rates/salaries, building/construction expenses, and adversely the ever-increasing price of ticket sales. All of this for just a seasonal event in which the soundstages are vital. Sure you could build 5 more Sprung Tents to house the haunts, however, it would potentially lead to a queue/space nightmare wherever they choose to go. I am sure Universal is happy justifying the SS space/scale for the houses.

Looking ahead to after the opening of Epic Universe is when I am sure that USF would see some change, but I do not foresee the soundstages going anywhere before renovation/replacement of themed areas. Not that USF will be left in the dust, but I am sure their attention will be focused elsewhere for renovation.

Last edited:
As an HHN fan, and hoping that they stay, I will do a proposition of math to support keeping them. Let’s do some math, shall we?

43 event nights (HHN 31)

Let’s just say the average crowd per night (likely underselling by a lot here, just to give a generous baseline) is 20,000 persons. Not to mention most nights feeling what seems to be almost at capacity.

Let’s say 25% of the crowd each night purchases express passes (once again, probably a low number).

25% of 20,000 = 3,750
5,000 x $153 = $765,000

We are already now at an estimated total of $105,135,000 all for a two-month seasonal event of extra admission in the evening time.

Not counting food & beverage sales, merch, RIP tours, Behind the Screams, hotel rooms, and people making trips to come to the parks during the day just for the event, Universal has a steady year-after-year source of revenue that they have arguably perfected a formula for. Other outliers include annual passes, resident rates, Rush of Fear, and Frequent Fear passes, more dates each year, discount express passes during the night, Hurricanes from planting corn, reductions of costs for employment hourly rates/salaries, building/construction expenses, and adversely the ever-increasing price of ticket sales. All of this for just a seasonal event.

Looking ahead to after the opening of Epic Universe is when I am sure that USF would see some change, but I do not foresee the soundstages going anywhere before renovation/replacement of themed areas. Not that USF will be left in the dust, but I am sure their attention will be focused elsewhere for renovation.
There is a backstage area/staging area behind Simpsons MIB. Maybe that could be used for expansion before the soundstages get torn down? But post EU the things I see changing in USF are the Simpsons departing and being replaced with either Dreamworks expanding into that portion or something new entirely. And the FFL stage getting torn down for a new potter experience.

Aside from being integral to the Studios DNA, I don't think they offer prime real estate at this point of time. There's plenty of attractions that are in desperate need to be replaced before they think of tackling the sound stages. And of course, HNN, which is quintessential Universal, would require a lot of reworking and probably be affected by their removal. I'm also just not of the mind that thinks Studios is straying away from it's roots. On the contrary, I think it successfully managed to keep it's identity intact even after all the changes.

43 event nights (HHN 31)

25% of 20,000 = 3,750
5,000 x $153 = $765,000

Not counting food & beverage sales, merch, RIP tours, Behind the Screams, hotel rooms, and people making trips to come to the parks during the day just for the event, Universal has a steady year-after-year source of revenue that they have arguably perfected a formula for. Other outliers include annual passes, resident rates, Rush of Fear, and Frequent Fear passes, more dates each year, discount express passes during the night, Hurricanes from planting corn, reductions of costs for employment hourly rates/salaries, building/construction expenses, and adversely the ever-increasing price of ticket sales. All of this for just a seasonal event in which the soundstages are vital. Sure you could build 5 more Sprung Tents to house the haunts, however, it would potentially lead to a queue/space nightmare wherever they choose to go. I am sure Universal is happy justifying the SS space/scale for the houses.

Not to mention a lot of that money is incremental revenue for Uni, coming from guests that don’t enter the park during the rest of the year (and surely wouldn’t start just because of some extra daytime attractions where the soundstages are).

They could build attractions that have flex space in them for HHN houses.

But I'm all for them expanding. They need added capacity now. Retheming existing rides and areas doesn't accomplish that.

Before they even consider demoing one soundstage, the following needs to be refurbished/removed/replaced:
  1. MIB Refurb (or replacement)
  2. ET Refurb
  3. Fast & Furious
  4. Fear Factor Live
  5. Springfield/Animal Actors
  6. Kidzone
The entire area the soundstages occupy is large, so you don't necessarily need to remove all of them for one project.

I feel like by the time the front of the park is due for expansion, many of the attractions there will need replaced too. HRRR will need to be replaced or get the Hulk treatment soon, Minion Mayhem has an aging ride system like Simpsons, Mummy will be old, and honestly I think there is a case that Fallon and Transformers will not be relevant by that time either. The soundstages seem far from the main priority, now or when the time comes to look at the front of the park

Reactions: Coolbfitz