The Soundstages: Stay or Go? | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

The Soundstages: Stay or Go?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Should The Soundstages Stay or Go?

• Total voters
They're still in use as soundstages and get used a ton. Hell, DISNEY uses them for filming in the Orlando area.

No.
If Florida was ever to approve more film tax credits then guess what ??

Those soundstages become infinitely more valuable to have.

Reactions: shiekra38
Had no idea Disney uses them. Anything recent or of note that Disney has filmed there?
NatGeo and Disney+'s The Right Stuff adaptation was filmed in the soundstages in 2019. I was an extra so I spent plenty of time back there. They only filmed out of Universal's soundstages because the show revolved around the Space Coast so they often went over there to get shots by the water, and then they would come back to USF for the interiors. The soundstages are used a lot more than people think, but not enough that they wouldn't make more money by demolishing at least some of them eventually when the time comes and they need expansion space.

NatGeo and Disney+'s The Right Stuff adaptation was filmed in the soundstages in 2019. I was an extra so I spent plenty of time back there. They only filmed out of Universal's soundstages because the show revolved around the Space Coast so they often went over there to get shots by the water, and then they would come back to USF for the interiors. The soundstages are used a lot more than people think, but not enough that they wouldn't make more money by demolishing at least some of them eventually when the time comes and they need expansion space.
If only the Parks division owned that area.

But they don’t. Universal Productions do. So it’s not really the Parks’ decision on if their continued existence is financially sustainable. And Production, I’m sure, recognizes the long-term costs and is prepared to pay it.

If only the Parks division owned that area.

But they don’t. Universal Productions do. So it’s not really the Parks’ decision on if their continued existence is financially sustainable. And Production, I’m sure, recognizes the long-term costs and is prepared to pay it.
Oh, i'm fully aware of who operates that area. USF Production group has done a lot with upgrades to the Stages, green rooms, film rooms, etc in recent years to modernize the place.

Even still, while USF Production operates the stages, who ultimately "owns" them? Comcast does. Just like in USH, if Comcast ever sees that there's a need for expansion and the soundstages are in the way and the parks are still making money like they are today, expect that at least some of those soundstages are gonna be gone the second that the CEO at Comcast gives the green light.

Is it possible that Universal is considering expanding into the large lot behind Simpsons and MIB? Disney has show they are willing to take out soundstages (MMRR SWGE) So Uni could do the same thing. If they wanted to consider a large scale expansion to USF this would be where to do it and keep those soundstages for HHN.

Is it possible that Universal is considering expanding into the large lot behind Simpsons and MIB? Disney has show they are willing to take out soundstages (MMRR SWGE) So Uni could do the same thing. If they wanted to consider a large scale expansion to USF this would be where to do it and keep those soundstages for HHN.
Comparing Disney’s production facilities to Universal is a night and day comparison. Disney built very few facilities and had a small production area. Universal built out their facilities with the intent of being serious about production and their Studios have not only always been bigger than Disney’s, but just flat out better.

As for HHN. It would be impossible to do almost the entire event out of the back MIB area. What they should consider at some point is actually making part of that plot next to MIB expansion space.

At some point maybe a few of the stages go. But I have heavy doubts that all of them will go for a long time.

It's tough to say what Universal is actually considering.

I think they should be considering that plot between MIB and Springfield, as well as behind Springfield, regardless of whether or not the soundstages go.
The plot behind Springfield would be a tight squeeze as it butts up to the building that once housed Dreamworks Destination which appears to be staying as part of the broader DWA revamp to KZ. And plus The Simpsons Ride replacement could encroach into that as well. Either that plot between Simpsons and MIB is ripe for several large scale attractions that could even be E tickets.

The plot behind Springfield would be a tight squeeze as it butts up to the building that once housed Dreamworks Destination which appears to be staying as part of the broader DWA revamp to KZ. And plus The Simpsons Ride replacement could encroach into that as well. Either that plot between Simpsons and MIB is ripe for several large scale attractions that could even be E tickets.

My vision for behind Springfield would be that it would be absorbed either by an expansion of the current plan for KidZone or via a total replacement of the entirety of Springfield.

My vision for behind Springfield would be that it would be absorbed either by an expansion of the current plan for KidZone or via a total replacement of the entirety of Springfield.
An expansion to the new KZ retheme would likely involve having to remove what used to be the DW destination building or whatever it becomes in the new land. If the inside of that building is not substantially changed when the new DWA land opens in 2024, I could see that happening and would love to see a Shrek dark ride if they did expand this new DWA land. But on the other hand if they used the land behind Springfield/The Simpsons Ride for the replacement land expansion, I assume they would tear down the Simpsons building and build two smaller ride buildings in the spot? or would they stick another attraction in that space and carve out a new path to access it?

Brushing off this thread, but if by some chance the soundstages were to go down the line, (wound not shock me considering Comcast is more the willing to demo soundstages in USH) what would happen to RRR? I assume that would have to be removed to make way for access to a new land. And would they address HHN houses, Maybe build a flex space somewhere else?

I wouldnt be surprised to see the flex space concept from Minion Blast utilized in other new builds moving forward.

Reactions: Coolbfitz
I wouldnt be surprised to see the flex space concept from Minion Blast utilized in other new builds moving forward.
Though I would hope they will be more substantial attractions than just a moving walkway. Though I wonder how they would choose what new lands/attractions gets flex spaces going forward.

Though I would hope they will be more substantial attractions than just a moving walkway. Though I wonder how they would choose what new lands/attractions gets flex spaces going forward.
Probably ones that utilize multi-levels. Seems like an easy way to squeeze in a house somewhere.

Probably ones that utilize multi-levels. Seems like an easy way to squeeze in a house somewhere.
I see multi-level attractions being in the same vein as Transformers or Pets? Is that an accurate guess? Maybe they can also squeeze a flex space on single level attractions as well and have you enter into it along side the back.

Reactions: Coolbfitz and Nico
Brushing off this thread, but if by some chance the soundstages were to go down the line, (wound not shock me considering Comcast is more the willing to demo soundstages in USH) what would happen to RRR? I assume that would have to be removed to make way for access to a new land. And would they address HHN houses, Maybe build a flex space somewhere else?
Re-paint RRR yellow so they can expand the Minions Land/Illumination Land :lol: . Blue sky, but they could try to turn the Music Plaza and RRR into Super Silly Fun Land.

I don't think the Soundstages are going anywhere. They get used quite often for filming still and of course, for HHN houses.

I see multi-level attractions being in the same vein as Transformers or Pets? Is that an accurate guess? Maybe they can also squeeze a flex space on single level attractions as well and have you enter into it along side the back.
That’s what I’m thinking. I don’t have any inside knowledge though.