Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Walking Dead Attraction (Closed)

We all knew it was coming after how much they killed the brand at hhn.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just don't understand how you can push out rides like Despicable Me and Transformers only to follow up with a Walking Dead maze.

Universal's not going to change if they continue to push out "attractions" like this. What a shame.

What would you rather have, more shops

What would you rather have, more shops

I disagree. I don't buy a ticket to a theme park to spend even more money shopping. I do think that they could have used this space for something way better, but I'm ok with how it turned out. At least it means we'll have a year-round haunt again, and that they can finally start doing something other than TWD at HHN again. (As long as they don't use this new maze as an excuse to cut another house)

I disagree. I don't buy a ticket to a theme park to spend even more money shopping. I do think that they could have used this space for something way better, but I'm ok with how it turned out. At least it means we'll have a year-round haunt again, and that they can finally start doing something other than TWD at HHN again. (As long as they don't use this new maze as an excuse to cut another house)

I'm joking of course, but they did add more retail and dining - that's the front half of Universal Boulevard.

To ask whether someone would rather have dining or an attraction is a loaded question. Of course we'd rather see an attraction, so that's besides the point.

Do you think a ride would fit in that spot, someone said it would be a small one, would that be better. I really like the year round haunts, something unique that Disney doesn't have, and it's better for hhn fans to get there haunt fix and the walking dead won't take up creative time

This "attraction" gets a meh from me. It's a bummer to see this as a follow up to Potter. I wish Universal would've gone away from the year round maze. Instead of putting the pedal to the metal, they put the car in reverse.

I'm fine with it. It's purpose is to basically cash in on the Walking Dead merch and add an attraction to an already small attraction count so bleh, I won't lose sleep over it. If this were the ticketed 2017 attraction, i'd be hella annoyed. But since it's opening soon, I look forward to it.

Everything about this attraction, from the concept to the timing to the name itself is just... bleh.

The best thing I can say about it is that it's opening this summer, making for at least something to help cushion the monster crowds this summer. Yet the label of "permanent" bothers me. Obviously a maze is much, much easier to knock down than any other attraction... however we now have a year-round haunt space again. Murdy was noting how rare in the theme park world this is, and that's kind of for a reason?

Even worse is that this is a park that wants to let the west coast see that Universal is stepping up to the full plate of competing with Disney alongside the east coast. Yet crap like this proves that there's an inconsistency there. There doesn't seem to be anything here that is changing the game or providing a next-level experience. It's just a haunt. That's it.

Surely they could do better.

The Walking Dead also does not fit in with the London theme at all as the entrance will probably be on Baker Street.  Not even close to being as huge nor likeable as Harry Potter.  Although one positive thing about it is it will probably help out with crowd flow in the Upper Lot, knowing that walkways will be packed once WWOHP grand opens.

I guess if you look at The Walking Dead as a small addition (maybe like Luigi's Rollickin' Roadsters), a new walk-through maze seems fine. :unsure:

Im a little disappointed that the teaser video in universals youtube channel for the attraction "maze" looks a little lazy. I've seen better HHN single maze teasers but I don't wanna lose hope and I'm hoping Murdy and the rest of the contributing creative team delivers and this maze is executed with finesse. Im really hoping that the level of detail in this attraction is at a higher level than what we are used to seeing in the what seems to be annual HHN TWD maze these past years. It would really help if they also added another level of detail and delivered new zombie masks and really take the advantage of new technology and add it on the the attraction to intensify the experience such as a "dropping room" "air cannons" "spray mist canons" "ground mist" "Scent"

I think I may be in the minority by saying that I'm excited for this. I'm probably biased since I'm a big fan of the show, but that aside, I don't mind having another year-round haunt in the park. This attraction is sorta wedged in a spot where the footprint probably only could've provided a decent ride at best (excluding the Globe Theatre), or just allowed Universal to expand on their shopping and dining venue roster (which would be overkill at this point given recent developments). As long as this isn't taking up a huge chunk of valuable park real estate, and isn't being thought of as the highly anticipated 2017 attraction that arrived a year early, I don't have a problem with it. 

One thing I do have a problem with is the name of this thing. Having 4 rides in the park with "the ride" in the title is bad enough, but I feel like they just didn't even try this time. I'm hoping the attraction itself makes up for its wildly lackluster title.

USA Today has an article out with a statement from Universal's president:

The Walking Dead is a phenomenon that has successfully and consistently affected the psyche of viewers on a global basis, since its debut,” Universal Studios Hollywood president Larry Kurzweil said in a statement. “We’re taking its intensity to the next level by collaborating with the show’s award-winning production team to create an authentic living representation of the series that can only be experienced at Universal Studios Hollywood.”

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2016/03/13/walking-dead-invade-universal-studios-hollywood/81621598/