Theatrical Future/PVOD Thread | Page 26 | Inside Universal Forums

Theatrical Future/PVOD Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Theaters are in no position to negotiate anymore. They'll take any content they can get right now. A transition that was probably not going to happen in full earnest like this for probably another 10 years or so is suddenly happening out of necessity of staying alive.

Im still betting on at least 1 blockbuster going on PVOD for the holidays, just 1. Again though, I'm not rooting for the end of theaters but I see the writing on the wall and kinda want to start binging some films, people will pay this holiday season.

Im still betting on at least 1 blockbuster going on PVOD for the holidays, just 1. Again though, I'm not rooting for the end of theaters but I see the writing on the wall and kinda want to start binging some films, people will pay this holiday season.

We kinda already did with Soul, didn't we? They just skipped the P- part.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
We kinda already did with Soul, didn't we? They just skipped the P- part.
Yes that’s very true, I’m looking for a more proper PVOD test, but hey maybe this will cause a lot more D+ subscribers but I feel a mix of films going straight to streaming and having to pay for them is our future so it’ll be interesting how this all plays out.

If any currently scheduled Christmas blockbuster attempts PVOD, it'll be Wonder Woman. WB was banking on international theaters being open, but now that three major European countries are shutting down cinemas for at least a month, those restrictions are unlikely to be lifted before 2021. Every time Wonder Woman gets delayed, all other DC films are impacted, which in turn impacts the rest of WB's schedule (see Dune now debuting after Suicide Squad). Delaying Wonder Woman to Jurassic World's vacated June date might not be a good option either because it will debut immediately after Venom 2, an IP that's more popular than most DC characters overseas. If Wonder Woman had a $25-30 rental over Christmas, it would probably make its budget back. If they wanted to boost HBO Max subscriptions like Soul on Disney+, that could work too.

West Side Story would be a perfect “holiday blockbuster” test for PVOD. Spielberg. Family-friendly. Recognizable and well-loved.

Release that on PVOD.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
Christopher Nolan Defends ‘Tenet’ Box Office Results

“Warner Bros. released ‘Tenet,’ and I’m thrilled that it has made almost $350 million,” Nolan said.

“I am worried that the studios are drawing the wrong conclusions from our release — that rather than looking at where the film has worked well and how that can provide them with much needed revenue, they’re looking at where it hasn’t lived up to pre-COVID expectations and will start using that as an excuse to make exhibition take all the losses from the pandemic instead of getting in the game and adapting — or rebuilding our business, in other words,” Nolan said.

I still haven't seen Tenet, and I know Nolan is all for saving the cinema experience. I don't think he's wrong about studios making theater chains take all the losses. I just don't see them wanting to get involved and lose money, or worse having headlines about how COVID was spread from people seeing their films, especially with numbers going up in many places. I'd love to see it but I just don't feel safe going to a theater right now. But they are sitting on a lot of films, and could be making some money to keep them going.

I'm not quite sure what the right approach is but I don't think the old method is it, and not releasing anything at all isn't it either. Maybe the new short-window approach before PVOD will work.

Jeez, Blurays cost $36 dollars now? $45 for 4k? Maybe for a Criterion movie, but those Blurays actually have worthwhile extra content.

EDIT: Maybe they were always that much but I seem to remember them costing $20-$25?

Jeez, Blurays cost $36 dollars now? $45 for 4k? Maybe for a Criterion movie, but those Blurays actually have worthwhile extra content.

EDIT: Maybe they were always that much but I seem to remember them costing $20-$25?

Sounds like a conspiracy to make streaming look like better value.

Sounds like a conspiracy to make streaming look like better value.
I'd buy that if I couldn't get 4k quality streaming and if the bonus features for most major blockbusters were closer to Lord of the Rings or early 00's Pixar documentaries than recut promotional material.

Reactions: RevFreako
Theaters are in no position to negotiate anymore. They'll take any content they can get right now. A transition that was probably not going to happen in full earnest like this for probably another 10 years or so is suddenly happening out of necessity of staying alive.
This is what I've been saying all along.

I'd buy that if I couldn't get 4k quality streaming and if the bonus features for most major blockbusters were closer to Lord of the Rings or early 00's Pixar documentaries than recut promotional material.
The LOTR type extras really went by the wayside, ironically, in the Blu Ray era, where sales didn't take off as expected.

Reactions: Tristan

That's always the MSRP. The Blu-Ray will be $20 and 4K $25-30 on launch because retailers never sell movies at MSRP unless they're from a speciality label like Criterion.