Theme Parks & Shopping Districts Reopening General Thread | Page 82 | Inside Universal Forums

Theme Parks & Shopping Districts Reopening General Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On an interesting note, at least anecdotally, I’ve heard of more UO TM’s having COVID issues than Disney’s CM’s (still haven’t heard much on SeaWorld or smaller attractions like Island H2O, but I’m assuming they aren’t doing great).
To clarify, firstly I’m comparing the estimates from Uni’s first few weeks to Disney’s first few weeks (although recent Uni numbers aren’t better), and numbers aren’t awful at either. They just had a bigger impact of Uni’s first few weeks of Ops than Disney according to some people I’ve talked to.

America is the only Western nation that didn’t snuff this thing out to a relatively manageable level. That’s why they get to do things like that and we don’t.

Germany has essentially had less than 500 cases a day since the end of May. The US, in contrast, is averaging about 60,000 cases a day for about the last three weeks, and in May/June was at about 25,000 cases a day. For the most part, only the US (and parts of South America) have skyrocketing rates.

Europe as a whole has it under control, so I don't see why they look bad, except by turning the mirror at our own situation that is largely our own falut. (All sources: NYT)

And Boris Johnson is saying that Europe is now facing a second wave, so...

Reactions: Mad Dog
And Boris Johnson is saying that Europe is now facing a second wave, so...
Boris Johnson says a lot of things, so...

And the actual quote was "I’m afraid you are starting to see in some places the signs of a second wave of the pandemic."

I would encourage you to look at the EU's definition of a "second wave" and ours where the "second wave" dwarfed the first.

Last edited:
Boris Johnson says a lot of things, so...

And the actual quote was "I’m afraid you are starting to see in some places the signs of a second wave of the pandemic."

I would encourage you to look at the EU's definition of a "second wave" and ours where the "second wave" dwarfed the first.
Any second wave talk for the US is insanity until we can find a way out of the first wave.

On an interesting note, at least anecdotally, I’ve heard of more UO TM’s having COVID issues than Disney’s CM’s (still haven’t heard much on SeaWorld or smaller attractions like Island H2O, but I’m assuming they aren’t doing great).
To clarify, firstly I’m comparing the estimates from Uni’s first few weeks to Disney’s first few weeks (although recent Uni numbers aren’t better), and numbers aren’t awful at either. They just had a bigger impact of Uni’s first few weeks of Ops than Disney according to some people I’ve talked to.

By “issues” do you mean employees testing positive for COVID-19???

How much of that is just Universal just being open longer than Disney has so if you have TM's/CM's catch it they have more time to spread it to one another?

Reactions: Mad Dog
How much of that is just Universal just being open longer than Disney has so if you have TM's/CM's catch it they have more time to spread it to one another?
yes....plus the factor of whether it was acquired while working in the park, or from social and/or family settings.

For those jonesing because their favorite parks haven't been able to open yet, or you can't travel, due to the covid crisis, there's a nice story with a trove of theme park information/highlights from the
past twenty years. On the Theme Park Insider website, "20 Great Reads for 20 Years of Theme Park Insider". For their 20th anniversary as one of the pioneers in internet theme park
information, Robert Niles has links to 20 of his most favorite Theme Park Insider stories from the past 20 years. Checking some of these stories, and reliving the past, is a nice way
to help alleviate the pain of not being able to visit our favorite parks. A really fun read....in a positive way. :thumbsup: :)

Not trying to say too much to respect my source's wishes, but it seems Uni has an announcement coming later today. Some additional cuts/changes are still on the way unfortunately. Not the EU announcement @Alicia mentioned. This involves the active two parks.

Not trying to say too much to respect my source's wishes, but it seems Uni has an announcement coming later today. Some additional cuts/changes are still on the way unfortunately. Not the EU announcement @Alicia mentioned. This involves the active two parks.

Guessing this will refer to the operating status of the parks - perhaps a reduction to the resort being closed two days a week. (No inside info here, just hedging.)

Guessing this will refer to the operating status of the parks - perhaps a reduction to the resort being closed two days a week. (No inside info here, just hedging.)
Not dates (though I've heard it's rumored through far more flimsy sources), more what's operational in the parks.

Reactions: Magic Feather
Not dates, more what's operational in the parks.

Ahhh. Heard Barney was a goner. The recent Vox article referred to as entertainment as "ground zero," so possible we're seeing an ending of shows in general (Bourne, character appearances).

Effective Sunday, August 9, the following attractions will temporarily close:

A Day in the Park with Barney
Fast & Furious: Supercharged
Kang & Kodos’ Twirl ‘n’ Hurl
Fear Factor Live
Poseidon’s Fury
Storm Force Accelatron

Bummed about Poseidon, I was really excited about doing that for the first time this year. Hopefully it opens back up by the time I make it in October.

Effective Sunday, August 9, the following attractions will temporarily close:

A Day in the Park with Barney
Fast & Furious: Supercharged
Kang & Kodos’ Twirl ‘n’ Hurl
Fear Factor Live
Poseidon’s Fury
Storm Force Accelatron

Is there a source for this?

The one silver lining in this is that I've been told that the TMs for those attractions are simply getting moved to other venues rather than laid off. It'll likely cause a mess for part timers, but no layoffs as of now from my understanding.

I've been lead to believe it's a staffing issue due to full time people on quaratine.

Is there a source for this?

I've been lead to believe it's a staffing issue due to full time people on quaratine.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit. Wasn't told a reason. And can't confirm @Vampyr's source, but I do know for a fact Fast was on that list. I was also told Barney was going weeks ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.