Tiana's Bayou Adventure (Opening June 28, 2024) | Page 15 | Inside Universal Forums

Tiana's Bayou Adventure (Opening June 28, 2024)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I've heard similar proposals.

I stand by my contention that they're not happening in short order!

The most I could see Disney doing -- assuming they're not going to attempt to make Magic Kingdom's version of the ride feel like it could belong in Frontierland -- would be to retheme Pecos Bill to something New Orleans-y, and continue that theme work down the walkway to Caribbean Plaza in Adventureland. Then somehow try to make the path from Frontierland directly to Big Thunder more of a clear demarcation to let guests know to "GO THIS WAY" for more Frontierland, or "GO STRAIGHT" for mini New Orleans.
Yeah, it wouldn't be as much of a problem (as far as expanding the New Orleans theme) if Splash wasn't what you have to pass to get to Big Thunder. I would love to get Tiana's Palace, but there's no room (or really thematic place) for it.

PATF is one of my favorite movies. I understand why they're changing the theming but I think PATF deserves better than a log flume.

Additions are always preferred, especially in a park like Magic Kingdom that could use more capacity.

But, to play devil's advocate with my own position, I'd say Splash Mountain is a little bit more than just a log flume. Its dark ride sections are in the upper tier of Imagineering's work in that area. So if Disney must retheme it for PATF, PATF is getting an impressive starting point.

PATF is one of my favorite movies. I understand why they're changing the theming but I think PATF deserves better than a log flume.

I agree and the shoe doesn’t quite fit with this one. Also PATF is a pretty inaccurate portrayal of 1920’s history if we’re going to go down that path. But then again, Maelstrom makes no sense as a ride system for Frozen yet they went ahead with it. So who knows.

Reactions: redy2468
I mean, it's an E-ticket caliber ride and a water-based ride makes the most sense for PATF. While I would've liked to see what they could do with a originally designed PATF ride, I think this is the best alternative.

Reactions: Frogki
Whatever it ends up being called, they should want the name to convey both that it's a water ride and that there's a thrill element. Something with a bit of dynamic flair.

"Tiana's Bayou Voyage," or something more generic along those lines, would be too passive, I think.

Well, since it's a giant tree now instead of a Mountain, imma say no. :lol:

Splash currently has a tree at the top - a dead tree. And it’s not much of a Southern mountain considering the soil looks like clay. The Blue Ridge mountains for example are extremely lush. Currently, the design represents more of a Southern piedmont region.

Since Louisiana has no mountains, I could see a rename. Splash Bayou has a nice ring to it.

Reactions: redy2468
I shared my initial thoughts on the ride, but here are my more thorough, articulate thoughts on this change:

As I have mentioned, I'm very disappointed Disney is apparently changing a classic ride based on reaction after thirty years of operation. I heard they have been working on it for a year, but I don't buy that. I don't think they're going down a good path here by changing an iconic ride. I understand people have issues with the source material (and respect that opinion), but if that's the reasoning, you will find fault in virtually everything if you look deep enough. I fear the future of Disney after this will be more unwanted overlays....but that's all I will say on that matter.

While I disagree with why they're doing this, I will be brutally honest and say that I don't hate the concept art. I think the ride could be good. In fact, I think it could be better! I remember when the Guardians overlay was announced for ToT, I initially hated the concept with a burning passion. The exterior looked ugly as sin after they went through all of that trouble to redress the area to fit around ToT. It seemed like a huge step backwards. But to my surprise, not only did they make the overlay work, but it's probably my favorite ride at DCA now. Well, maybe a close second behind RSR. At least with here, the theme will already work with the existing setting. It won't be blatantly out-of-theme like Guardians was for the time. But if they insist on this change, I really hope they at least keep the name "Splash Mountain". I refuse to call it anything else. If there must be a change in the title, keep the original name and add a subtitle.

The ride could be great, but another reason I really don't want this because there's no guarantee this ride will be good. DL's could benefit the most as the ride over here in SoCal is just in rough shape operationally; in that sense it could use it even though I don't agree with the decision. But for all we know they could budget cut this to oblivion with only two AAs and mostly screens. If this ride takes place after the Princess and the Frog, sorry to spoil it for those who haven't seen it, but that would mean that Dr Facilier would be out of the picture (Presumably). If that is true, that makes me want to hate this overlay. Why even bother changing the ride if you won't even use the new material to its fullest potential? If you're going to do something as drastic as changing Splash Mountain completely, go all-out on this thing! Maximize every environment, scene, and potential in story for the ride! Spare no expense! I'm concerned they may cheap out given the whole situation going on right now.

Finally, if Disney wants to do this overlay to say that they are promoting diversity and renouncing racism, I don't buy that at all. They literally made Fynn unnoticeable in the Chinese poster for the Force Awakens to appeal to the Chinese market. I see Disney reacting here out of hypocrisy. I still think Disney will always promote diversity and renounce racism....unless being less diverse and slightly racist makes them money as seen with TFA poster.

We are all hoping for the best possible outcome here. We already know that having Tony Baxter advising and Scott Trowbridge on board is a solid start. Obviously budget is the biggest thing this project needs to really thrive and if anyone knows how to help navigate issues from upper management, it's Tony Baxter (see: Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse v. Paul Pressler).

Splash Mountain has been a topic of "controversy" for a long time. Whether you agree or disagree with why, that is a fact. If I was a betting man I would say that there have been several ideas about re-themes for this attraction from WDI over the years. Plenty of projects get scrapped or shelved for one reason or another and this film is such a shoo-in with what exists already I have to imagine this has been on and off the table in the past. Occam's razor would tell me that the chatter online recently may have been enough for them to make the statement public right now. I have no reason to believe it was some marketing ploy or that everyone is lying about how long they have been working on it. I threw away my Mickey Mouse shaped tin foil hat a long time ago.

I do think that nostalgia plays a big role in how many people are reacting to this change. I've been seeing these same types of arguments (not talking about you specifically, just in general) regarding any change in Disney parks on different forums for the last 15 years. Everything from building paint colors to attraction changes. This has taught me to remain cautiously optimistic because bottom line: if the right tools are given, I think we will all be happy with the end result.
Whatever it ends up being called, they should want the name to convey both that it's a water ride and that there's a thrill element. Something with a bit of dynamic flair.

"Tiana's Bayou Voyage," or something more generic along those lines, would be too passive, I think.

Seeing the last few big attraction names, I think we can expect at least one colon to show up..

Last edited:
Reactions: belloq87 and Freak
Splash currently has a tree at the top - a dead tree. And it’s not much of a Southern mountain considering the soil looks like clay. The Blue Ridge mountains for example are extremely lush. Currently, the design represents more of a Southern piedmont region.

Since Louisiana has no mountains, I could see a rename. Splash Bayou has a nice ring to it.
This is Splash Mountain:
splash-mountain-refurb-jan-2020_2.jpg

This is Tiana's Tree:
dpbwd019840923572837423840239480.jpg

Princess and The Frog: A Bayou Mardi Gra Adventure, featuring Tiana from the Princess and the Frog

Honestly, if I had to choose a name, I'd do Splash Bayou. You can still abbreviate the name (we're gonna head to Critter Country to ride Splash), while still changing the name to be more thematically consistent.

But you don't know what to story of the ride is going to be and why we are going up the lift hill. It's up to them if they want to clasify it as a "mountain" of not.

Good point, but to my recollection the lift hill represents B’rer Fox’s Liar. They never specify you’re being thrown from a mountain into the brier patch. So, the name could stay.

I’m throwing my support behind Splash Bayou. That way Disneyheads can continue calling the attraction Splash.

Reactions: Frogki and redy2468
Good point, but to my recollection the lift hill represents B’rer Fox’s Liar. They never specify you’re being thrown from a mountain into the brier patch. So, the name could stay.

I’m throwing my support behind Splash Bayou. That way Disneyheads can continue calling the attraction Splash.
They'll call it Splash no matter what the name is.