Tiana's Bayou Adventure (Opening June 28, 2024) | Page 85 | Inside Universal Forums

Tiana's Bayou Adventure (Opening June 28, 2024)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Are you really comparing this to Supercharged?!?!? This is 100x better than Supercharged. Dinosaur has no IP associated with it and the ride system can be rough and it is way to scary for many little children. They actually made splash LESS scary with this change (which is what many are complaining about) and so it will appeal to more kids not less like Dinosaur.

You are really making bad comparisons here as to why those attractions didn't hold up over time. Look at Frozen, I think that was a horrible re-do yet because it is based on a great franchise it still has lines. This is based on a fairly popular princess, has a great ride system, and looks amazing from the outside. It will hold the same lines splash did in the long run and be a bump in lines the first year or two. It accomplished what Disney wanted. A bump in numbers and get rid of a tie back to a troublesome movie.
Nothing is as bad as Supercharged, but it proves even a mega-popular IP won't save a bad ride. And while I'm not a fan of Dinosaur either, it was the E-ticket mission statement weenie for its land when it opened. These both stand for the simple principal even the GP avoids bad rides. Whether or not Tiana proves to be a bad ride in their eyes is still very much an open question, and will be for a year or two.

Reactions: OrlLover
Agreed, that is one difference is that non-FL Residence can't purchase all types of APs at Disney where Universal you can. But again, I said Universal will get more expensive, I never said they would ever be as expensive as Disney. I also don't think we get a 4th park for a very very long time. And without a 4th they couldn't bring their prices up to Disney. I am just saying you can't currently compare the prices since one has 4 parks and the other 2. That is like comparing Sea World and Universal, you also can't compare those two even though SW is way cheaper than Universal.
A sea world pass as the 4th park is still cheaper than Disney and much more convenient given the ease of transit and distance between the parks. It's much easier to stay around idrive without needed in a car at a decent off-site hotel. Living on a route with budget flights actually makes Orlando one of the more affordable places to go with the cheapest season pass options if you can get down a few times a year. But anyways I'm going too far off the rails of this thread.

After watching the POV…it’s fine. I don’t think it’s a master class nor is it a total disaster. But I’m kind of surprised by some of the vitriol I’ve seen about it (don’t really think it’s offensive enough to warrant the response it’s gotten) and I had a few thoughts…

1. This looks kind of like a vibe check ride. Obviously I’d have to get on it to see for sure but the music and atmosphere seem just “fun.” And that’s essentially what log flumes are at every other park—they’re relaxing, they usually wind through a forest or something, and the drop is a fun little way to cool off. With that in mind, I’d consider this retheme upper tier.

2. I do agree the element of conflict/fear from Splash Mountain feels missed…but this is also a very different resort than it was when Splash Mountain was first built. 30 years ago a 50-foot drop was kind of scary, and the story built around it reflected that. Since then, though, we’ve gotten Tower of Terror, Everest, Dinosaur, Rock n Roller Coaster, Tron, etc. Trying to build a sense of dread around a 50-foot drop in 2024 would feel kind of inauthentic to me.

3. To all saying that just because it’s for kids doesn’t mean it shouldn’t have more to it…go check the Dreamworks Land thread. Plenty of people over there are doing the heavy lifting making the case that a kids’ ride can just be for fun for kids and be okay.

I’m not rushing to get on this one…but I’ll be honest I always thought Splash Mountain was overrated too and it took me a pretty long time to even register this much-heralded “story” it had. At the end of the day, it’s still a well-laid out flume ride and that’s the draw.

I'm firmly of the belief that kids should be scared more in theme parks.

By age seven, I had been on Jaws, Kongfrontation, Alien Encounter, Tower of Terror, etc.
I agree with the first part of your statement but seven? Fitting to the topic, the Splash AAs (as well as the pop ups in the HM attic) scared me bad at that age lol. I can only imagine if I had experienced AE, which imo was scarier than most haunted houses.

Nothing is as bad as Supercharged, but it proves even a mega-popular IP won't save a bad ride. And while I'm not a fan of Dinosaur either, it was the E-ticket mission statement weenie for its land when it opened. These both stand for the simple principal even the GP avoids bad rides. Whether or not Tiana proves to be a bad ride in their eyes is still very much an open question, and will be for a year or two.
I agree the GP DOES care about good vs bad rides and I never said they don't. I said in this particular case I don't think the GP will care about all the things people are mentioning in here. Splash isn't changing layout and and a Princess and you have a winning formula. It has always been a fun ride that has great popularity and I don't see that changing by adding a popular IP. There is a huge difference between the GP can tell a bad ride and the GP will care it has less AA. They won't care, they will be blown away by what is there and like the ride itself.

A sea world pass as the 4th park is still cheaper than Disney and much more convenient given the ease of transit and distance between the parks. It's much easier to stay around idrive without needed in a car at a decent off-site hotel. Living on a route with budget flights actually makes Orlando one of the more affordable places to go with the cheapest season pass options if you can get down a few times a year. But anyways I'm going too far off the rails of this thread.
Well we don't know what Uni AP pricing will be with a 3rd gate, so we have no clue what it will cost. Also, it is hard because most AP even for Uni are in state, so trying to compare what a small % pay is harder too. But again we really don't know what things will cost a year from now.

Reactions: OrlandoGuy
Interesting. I didn't realize it was always meant to be based on a not yet out movie.

Either way, who ever talks about this movie anymore? Princesses is a different story. Merchandise is still selling for Princess and the Frog in regular stores unlike this movie. Yes, dinosaurs sell, but again I go back to the age they sell to are too scared or too short to get on this ride.
ITTBAB was done similarly and opened before A Bugs Life even released.

Reactions: IzzyB and Alicia
So out of the blue. . . are ya reeeaaadddyyyyy, drop then I'm at a party lol. People are already tearing up the current story, I can imagine what they will do with that incohesive plot.
I think this is probably my last post on this ride, BUT there is a fix for this.

The laughing place scene is replaced by the final graveyard showdown/temptation, before we get to the lift hill, we see frog Tiana break the medallion, drummers on top of the branch doing "Are you Ready?", lift hill with a screen wrap that has drummers on one side while Facilier with his shadow making excuses/being dragged to the top is on the other, and before the drop we see the Facilier tombstone transformation while hearing a final "Take a ride on the other side" as we go over the edge.

Tunnel before the big show scene has the Tiana/Naveen kiss/transformation (screen if necessary) and then we have the grand finale.

Also, I had high hopes for this project, but find it underwhelming. I already know my daughter is going to love it and I will love seeing her happiness at seeing these characters, so it leaves me feeling a bit like Marty McFly:

IMG_1732.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: belloq87
I'm firmly of the belief that kids should be scared more in theme parks.

By age seven, I had been on Jaws, Kongfrontation, Alien Encounter, Tower of Terror, etc.
Honestly, I agree with this. Not every ride should be scary, but great stories thrive on confrontation, peril, and resolution. The whole point of stories is to develop someone's moral compass and show them examples of consequences, both good and bad. That said, I think you can argue that maybe Splash Mountain doesn't necessarily teach anything of value either way, so it's a moot point.

That said, I think the refurbishment's greatest disappointment is it's not going to move my personal needle to go on it. I didn't go on Splash much (because wearing damp clothes is uncomfortable) but I felt like the storytelling was fun and the song was catchy, and the ride had conflict. I also understand why a replacement was needed for the US specifically, so I wouldn't argue against change. I simply don't feel compelled to ride this ever, and certainly not in the same way I compulsively ride Pirates, Rise of the Resistance, Runaway Railway or Indiana Jones. There's simply no sense of conflict, peril, or urgency, and that's not something I have interest in. It's more of upbeat Na'vi River Journey now with a drop (and I think that ride is "fine" but I wouldn't wait a significant length of time for it). I'm just not interested in even attempting the ride, and that's too bad because I really wanted to like it.

Also for everyone saying you can't have Voodoo on the ride....call it magic and done
Mama Odie is a voodoo priestess, so they actually have voodoo in the ride already. :lmao:

I guess I’m in the minority here. I initially had very low expectations for this ride because disney has notoriously fumbled the ball. Then when I heard the plot I was doubly disappointed because I wanted a bookend ride. And thought we would lose all the original music, which was devastating.

Then I saw the animatronics and was pleased. And now that I’ve seen the ride through I’m actually very relieved. They still managed to keep the original music in it- the crickets at the ends chirping some of the songs is a great touch, and both the screens and lighting effects are excellently incorporated while not being overused.

Animatronics are way more advanced compared to splash, where Brer routinely would lose a foot while being tied up. Not as many, but that’s a decent trade off.

All in all, I’m much more pleased than I thought I would be. I still think I would have preferred having separate coasts with different attractions and this just being in DL while they found a way to build a new Tiana ride via beyond big thunder while incorporating the liberty bell into a Tiana restaurant… but it is what it is and for those nostalgic for splash, we always have Tokyo- which isn’t really cheaper to get to and attend than WDW for anyone who has to fly and stay on site.

So I’m all for it. Would have liked Facilier in there and a story book, but for not having that as the story, I think they executed as well as they could have. Loved splash- it was my favorite ride at MK simply due to the length and it being one of 2 revolutionary rides disney has made. I think the reason to drop it was an overreaction, but I also love me some Tiana as she’s my favorite princess for a multitude of reasons and I can’t wait to ride it!