Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Tokyo Disneyland Resort

Surprised no one posted the news yet, so it looks like I'll call dibbs. OLC and TokyoDisney announced a new expansion for the parks. 

http://tdrexplorer.com/new-attractions-coming-to-tokyo-disneyland-tokyo-disneysea-in-2020/

1) A Beauty and the Beast dark ride which looks AMAZING. It also looks similar to the Empire of the Penguin vehicles developed by Oceaneering. 

It's across from Pooh's Hunny Hunt and apparently will be Japan-exclusive. They got jelly about the US finally getting a Disney trackless dark ride with Star Wars Land so the OLC is claiming this one for themselves apparently, and rubbing it in our faces.  :lol:

Baymax Junkyard Jamboree is weird, but at least the ride system used should prevent it from coming to DLR and WDW. (Toy Story Land will have a version)

Had a good laugh at themed Soarin. Not even Shanghai, which has a story and a theme, has gliders that look that purty. I don't get the hate this is getting online. The Japanese buy what they want, and they want Soarin. Since the OLC's pockets run insanely deep, they're insanely themeing it. It's being located in a nice, pretty building and it won't compromise TDS' "integrity" as much as Toy Story Mania didn't. Just don't go into the damn pretty building. Park is beautiful but it's weird how protective some get about it in regards to the most minute things. Especially considering the park is FILLED with IPs. 

Not to mention this is replacing Arrendelle... which for some reason Japan dropped. I guess Frozen just isn't popular over there anymore? I find that difficult to believe. Jon or Jonathan, did you see any craziness over Frozen when you guys were there last year?

Last edited by a moderator:
My friend was just in Tokyo and the Frozen mania was still quite strong during her trip. Could just be that they have a good Prince Hans face, though. lol

Surprised a proper TDLR thread isn't here, but I figured I'd start with this.

Oriental Land Company, is reportedly in the planning stage, for a 300 Billion Yen (2.7 billion dollars) expansion, that would include potentially a new theme park.

ディズニーリゾート:大幅拡張 25年着工、第3パークに - 毎日新聞

More details are reported to be spoken by May, as the new theme park is being considered to have a Japanese theme centered around it.

This does not mean it's final, but it shows that the OLC may be wanting to not only plan for the 2020 Summer Olympics (With NFL and Soarin at both TDL and TDS), but in the wake of Universal Studios Japan looking to expand.

What do you think? Do you think we could see a third gate in Japan? And if-so, what theme would you want it to be? Comment down below!

I've heard two things:
> 30% expansion of the CURRENT parks
> New Park

or maybe it's both?

If there is a new park, I expect a hotel integrated into the park just like DisneySea, as they are obviously wanting to increase their on-site capacity.

I've heard two things:
> 30% expansion of the CURRENT parks
> New Park

or maybe it's both?

If there is a new park, I expect a hotel integrated into the park just like DisneySea, as they are obviously wanting to increase their on-site capacity.

Straight from the actual japan's news source... its just expansion. Not a new park.

Tokyo Disney parks operator planning ¥300 billion expansion aimed at overseas and older visitors | The Japan Times

This is just going to make Universal double down on their seasonal IPs to lock them all down before OLC tries to license them.

Last edited:
Haven't they announced some expansions for this park that haven't come to fruition? I feel like for the pedestal that we hold TDR on, there's been very little new here in the past 10 years.

I feel like for the pedestal that we hold TDR on, there's been very little new here in the past 10 years.

When the as-is product is as incredible as TDR is, the pressure for constant expansion and improvement isn't there. The parks are rammed as it is, and people love them.

It's interesting to read that they feel the numbers are stagnating due to demographics. The current Resort cares precious little for attracting overseas visitors, so it'll be worth watching how they play this out if indeed they are taking the Resort on a slightly new path with this as the Japan Times article suggests.

When the as-is product is as incredible as TDR is, the pressure for constant expansion and improvement isn't there. The parks are rammed as it is, and people love them.

It's interesting to read that they feel the numbers are stagnating due to demographics. The current Resort cares precious little for attracting overseas visitors, so it'll be worth watching how they play this out if indeed they are taking the Resort on a slightly new path with this as the Japan Times article suggests.

TDS, yes. Parts of TDL felt outdated, especially some of Tomorrowland and Fantasyland.

Last edited:
I just don't see park getting built in that shape.

After looking at the illuistration, it looks like it'll have a crecent of borders Which as of now, doesn't look like from anything of what TDR putted into their article.

Hypothetically, I think it all matters on the layout, as there have been many other parks with odd layouts.

Tokyo Disneyland is 115 acres and Tokyo DisneySea is 176... I can't seem them building such a small park given the crowds there.

I think building a third park via land reclamation of Tokyo Bay is more possible than squeezing it in that area.

From TDReport, a third park IS being considered, possibly as Tokyo DisneySky.
I love Tokyo's consistent naming scheme.

Hypothetically, if they are planning this park in the light of New Fantasyland, perhaps they can stretch the amount of land to about 60-70 acres, which would be a good amount as it is.
The entire resort is built on reclaimed land from the bay. I'd be shocked if they didn't choose to reclaim more land to build out a full-sized theme park. 60-70 acres is too small when you consider how many people visit the resort yearly.

(Makes more sense in Singapore where land isn't as plentiful and USS wasn't guaranteed to succeed)

I love Tokyo's consistent naming scheme.

The entire resort is built on reclaimed land from the bay. I'd be shocked if they didn't choose to reclaim more land to build out a full-sized theme park. 60-70 acres is too small when you consider how many people visit the resort yearly.

(Makes more sense in Singapore where land isn't as plentiful and USS wasn't guaranteed to succeed)
One would think that Japan could support a second resort with how busy the two parks are. Maybe Disney won't let them? Or the licensing for more parks wouldn't be worth the cost.

USS is crazy. You can already see the next land when you just step into one.

Anyone have some good park conquering strategies?

I'm thinking at park open I'll walk past Monsters and grab fast passes then head straight to Pooh. After Pooh I don't know what to do? Maybe Cartoon Spin or head towards Thunder Mountain area until I can get my next fast pass, which will be Space Mountain.

Any input is welcomed!

Anyone have some good park conquering strategies?

I'm thinking at park open I'll walk past Monsters and grab fast passes then head straight to Pooh. After Pooh I don't know what to do? Maybe Cartoon Spin or head towards Thunder Mountain area until I can get my next fast pass, which will be Space Mountain.

Any input is welcomed!
A couple of months ago someone had a really good trip report (both parks) on the Theme Park Insider Forums.