Tower of Terror | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Tower of Terror

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
To me the TZ IP doesn’t make or break the ride it’s more of like a subtle additon that just fits into the theme. I could see the TOT working thematically as a stand-alone without the TZ IP. Pretty much what @scott_walker said so eloquently just adding in my thoughts to it.

Reactions: Scott W. and Nick
I’d be sad to see the TZ theme go. Someone mentioned they can easily take out the references and the ride would pretty much go unchanged. Would rather see that than a whole new experience. I started watching the Twilight Zone because of it. Probably have seen every episode and always watch during the July 4th and New Years marathons

I did however look at on ride video of GOTG and it does look really cool. That wouldn’t fit into Hollywood Studios though. I love walking through Hollywood Blvd and seeing the Hollywood Tower Hotel.

I've been thinking about this a bit more and I mentioned removing the physical elements but I forgot about one of the major factors that the Twilight Zone adds to the experience. The music, I can't think of any other piece of iconic scary music.

If Disney decide to go for a full retheme, the only IP that I think would be fitting would be Monsters Inc. The lift doors will open to different areas, one door will open to the The Himalayas and you see the Yeti, maybe a small quip that the yeti is moving in the scene. There is literally an infinite number of possibilities, all of which can be randomised.

The building could be rethemed to the Monsters Inc Headquarters:

latest

For the basic story, the monsters are using us in their new machine to generate power by laughs, we go through the ride as normal with a list of terrible stand up jokes. Once the monsters realise this isn't working, we move through the 5th dimension scene as they decide they need to go back to their old ways and generate their power with screams. The underlying story is that we're helping Mike and Sully look for Boo, hence all the doors opening but they thought it would be an easy ride since we should only be experiencing some tame stand up comedy.

The loading area will be rethemed to the Scare Floor:

latest

I've always loved the idea of the Monsters Inc coaster but I think this fits just as well.

Reactions: fryoj
I've been thinking about this a bit more and I mentioned removing the physical elements but I forgot about one of the major factors that the Twilight Zone adds to the experience. The music, I can't think of any other piece of iconic scary music.

If Disney decide to go for a full retheme, the only IP that I think would be fitting would be Monsters Inc. The lift doors will open to different areas, one door will open to the The Himalayas and you see the Yeti, maybe a small quip that the yeti is moving in the scene. There is literally an infinite number of possibilities, all of which can be randomised.

The building could be rethemed to the Monsters Inc Headquarters:

latest

For the basic story, the monsters are using us in their new machine to generate power by laughs, we go through the ride as normal with a list of terrible stand up jokes. Once the monsters realise this isn't working, we move through the 5th dimension scene as they decide they need to go back to their old ways and generate their power with screams. The underlying story is that we're helping Mike and Sully look for Boo, hence all the doors opening but they thought it would be an easy ride since we should only be experiencing some tame stand up comedy.

The loading area will be rethemed to the Scare Floor:

latest

I've always loved the idea of the Monsters Inc coaster but I think this fits just as well.

That would be a disaster, imo. I'm pretty firmly against all proposals that would turn the actual ToT building into something that is just undeniably out of place. I feel like almost any IP tie-in they could propose will do that since Sunset is themed to old-hollywood. What's going to happen is going to happen, though.

I agree with your prior stance that TOT can just stand on it's own without TZ. Yes, the music of the IP is a star in it's own right (hehe), but WDI can easily be tasked to create an original soundtrack that would fit the ride. It really wouldn't be all that hard. The pre-show would be the hardest to replace, but if the IP is going no matter what, I would rather the ride stay mostly in tact rather than some massive, unneeded overlay.

That would be a disaster, imo. I'm pretty firmly against all proposals that would turn the actual ToT building into something that is just undeniably out of place. I feel like almost any IP tie-in they could propose will do that since Sunset is themed to old-hollywood. What's going to happen is going to happen, though.

I agree with your prior stance that TOT can just stand on it's own without TZ. Yes, the music of the IP is a star in it's own right (hehe), but WDI can easily be tasked to create an original soundtrack that would fit the ride. It really wouldn't be all that hard. The pre-show would be the hardest to replace, but if the IP is going no matter what, I would rather the ride stay mostly in tact rather than some massive, unneeded overlay.

It’s not my first choice but I think it could have a solid potential. If Disney continue to expand DHS, the whole ToT area could be rethemed to something else that it could work but at the end of the day, a 200ft structure is going to look out of place regardless of what happens.

I think the only way that removing Twilight Zone will work is if they add a lot more to it and Disney only seem to want to add IPs now.

It’s not my first choice but I think it could have a solid potential. If Disney continue to expand DHS, the whole ToT area could be rethemed to something else that it could work but at the end of the day, a 200ft structure is going to look out of place regardless of what happens.

I think the only way that removing Twilight Zone will work is if they add a lot more to it and Disney only seem to want to add IPs now.
Disney can make TOT part of it's own separate land or do whatever they want to do to classify it as, but like you said, it's still a 200 ft building that is the centerpiece for the end of Sunset.

I'm not gonna sit and throw out every possibility, Disney will do what Disney is gonna do, but it certainly will be interesting if they do indeed remove the IP.

Disney will do what Disney is gonna do, but it certainly will be interesting if they do indeed remove the IP.

Man, this is so true. We (the fans) have no influence over their decision making or rational for changes. I love TZ - started watching it as a kid - and am going to miss the original concept of ToT. Can only hope for the best.

Man, this is so true. We (the fans) have no influence over their decision making or rational for changes. I love TZ - started watching it as a kid - and am going to miss the original concept of ToT. Can only hope for the best.

Fans and the GP do have a say, why else did Disney feel the need to come out against the DHS name change and monorail changes? Disney listens.

Fans and the GP do have a say, why else did Disney feel the need to come out against the DHS name change and monorail changes? Disney listens.
Disney does a whole bunch of crap that makes no sense or pisses people off though. Just because they did two things (well, didn't do) that may or may not have been because of fan pushback doesn't mean they will always listen to fans opinions on what to actually do. UC and WDI are going to do what corporate allows them to for the most part. Fallon happened because he reached out to them. Transformers, F&F and Kong happened because of Hollywood. Etc. Even things like SLoP was a corporate mandate as stated before the movie came out (and that ride isn't even built yet).

Most of what is coming to WDW are clones.

The parks may listen on the smallest of things, but they truly don't care as long as it's not something that will alienate a large segment of people.

Reactions: happy bunny rabbit
Disney does a whole bunch of crap that makes no sense or pisses people off though. Just because they did two things (well, didn't do) that may or may not have been because of fan pushback doesn't mean they will always listen to fans opinions on what to actually do. UC and WDI are going to do what corporate allows them to for the most part. Fallon happened because he reached out to them. Transformers, F&F and Kong happened because of Hollywood. Etc. Even things like SLoP was a corporate mandate as stated before the movie came out (and that ride isn't even built yet).

Most of what is coming to WDW are clones.

The parks may listen on the smallest of things, but they truly don't care as long as it's not something that will alienate a large segment of people.

At the end of the day, I think we all need to remember that it’s a business and they’re there to make as much money as possible.

I think some people are forgetting that.

At the end of the day, I think we all need to remember that it’s a business and they’re there to make as much money as possible.

I think some people are forgetting that.
Yeah. If feedback comes from fans that happens to make good business advice, then sure, they'll go with it. But these a giant companies that need to make decisions that will satisfy the tourists more than anything. They are the most common type of visitor and if surveys suggest that a high percentage of tourists think that there's too many 3D rides at USF, then that is something that will (and seems like it has been) taken into account. They want people to want to come back on their next trip, whenever that may be.

Anyway, this has gone a long ways from Tower of Terror discussion, so let's get back on topic :topic:

I love the atmosphere of this ride it is incredible and being a Twilight Zone fan, I love it even more. I would hate to see the IP go. Personally, I can't imagine the ride being rethemed, for it has such a following, so many people with TOT merchandise and all the hype and love for this specific iteration of the ride. I imagine a retheme would lead to Dole Whip Cocktailsand turkey leg bones being thrown at whatever the retheme would be.

Sidenote: One question about the Twilight Zone IP. With the series being full of social commentary and twist endings, is there any of that in the plot of TOT? If there is it really is rather deep.

I love the atmosphere of this ride it is incredible and being a Twilight Zone fan, I love it even more. I would hate to see the IP go. Personally, I can't imagine the ride being rethemed, for it has such a following, so many people with TOT merchandise and all the hype and love for this specific iteration of the ride. I imagine a retheme would lead to Dole Whip Cocktailsand turkey leg bones being thrown at whatever the retheme would be.

Sidenote: One question about the Twilight Zone IP. With the series being full of social commentary and twist endings, is there any of that in the plot of TOT? If there is it really is rather deep.

Not really, all is explained simply.

It's more of that on a stormy night in the late 1930's that a group of varied individuals boarded the Hollywood Tower Hotel, stating that at the time, it was a beacon for big-name stars of the 1930's Hollywoodland (yes, Hollywood was called that back then). But that, as said, lightning strikes just as the elevator goes up to the twelveth story of the hotel, transporting the individuals in that shaft to The Twilight Zone as the real elevator presumably breaks apart, and crashes into the front lobby.

And the purpose of the ride, is to make you feel like you are those varied guests, going to the Twilight Zone, more specifically, the Tower of Terror.

I would argue TDS is more fleshed out as far as original stories go, but that's due to that they builted it with already established lore of the Society of Explorers & Adventurers (S.E.A., for Short). Presumably, the changes that would come to Paris and Orlando I would think, would have it be more of an original story, similar to the Hotel Hightower version but with modifications for each respected version, and exterior changes to match more of what Tokyo DisneySea is designed to be.

maxresdefault.jpg

Not really, all is explained simply.

It's more of that on a stormy night in the late 1930's that a group of varied individuals boarded the Hollywood Tower Hotel, stating that at the time, it was a beacon for big-name stars of the 1930's Hollywoodland (yes, Hollywood was called that back then). But that, as said, lightning strikes just as the elevator goes up to the twelveth story of the hotel, transporting the individuals in that shaft to The Twilight Zone as the real elevator presumably breaks apart, and crashes into the front lobby.

And the purpose of the ride, is to make you feel like you are those varied guests, going to the Twilight Zone, more specifically, the Tower of Terror.

Thank you so much for your insight. I do understand the plot, yet always overthinks things.

Thank you so much for your insight. I do understand the plot, yet always overthinks things.

Trust me, there are certain things to where I get overthoughtful on certain things in film and television, and completely understand why it may be somewhat confusing for Twilight Zone in particular.

I really hope Guardians replaces Tower of Terror someday. I really want to experience it here in Florida and not have to worry about traveling to Cali for it.