Transformers: The Ride - Summer 2013 | Page 211 | Inside Universal Forums

Transformers: The Ride - Summer 2013

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Is it Transformers?

• Yes

Votes: 145 91.8%
  • No

Votes: 13 8.2%

• Total voters
^It's not that they don't have any idea. It's that they apparently don't like spending money because that gives us nice things. And we all know nobody wants nice things when we go the a resort...

The store in Hollywood WAS LOADED with Merch. They had to of had 20 types of just action figures alone.

Very curious to see the merch. for Transformers.

Here's a walkthrough video of the gift shop in USH:

[video=youtube;WTfTGvh28Yg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTfTGvh28Yg[/video]

Westcoaster posted some pics of the "Transformers Supply Vault" earlier this year:

iL54F0TQjiAPZ.jpg

iMgZB5iuDxUJr.jpg

ibnhkGxMqnIMuC.jpg

Last edited:
anyone else concerned that the transformers ride may not retain quite the lifespan as jaws or back to the future? and also, why is universal consistently so late in developing these franchises after they have (nearly) concluded? Harry Potter is over, and Transformers has another movie on the way (but may bomb anyways). So many people will be glad to see transformers open up and I know I will certainly be in line, but my main concern is the staying power of this attraction.

Transformers have been around since the 80s and still kicking and even thought the movies are relatively new to the scene the cartoons has been on and off the TV as cartoon series since the 80s. So I feel there is some what of some staying power there, especially with the demographic its aimed at (young teenage boys). Plus if they are rebooting with a 4th movie and it does well and spawns more sequels you will still get Transformers on the big screen for many more years.

As much as I disliked the Transformers movies...I could see why this is a good fit for Universal. It's a pretty successful brand, and like others said has been around since the 80s. I used to love the old anime cartoons as a kid, and Im sure kids love the new animated cartoons/movies. It's a brand like GI Joe and Barbie, that will be constantly revamped and remarketed to younger generations for years to come.

It's a much safer bet then say...Avatar..

If the ride is good people will come no matter what brand is put on it..ShieKra for instance dug Busch Gardens out of their financial hole when it opened and still draws a crowd and is popular (it has also made quite a name for itself when people pronounce it correctly.)..Point is, I think Universal wants to absolutely sure a franchise is going to work before they put it in..we are talking about a 20 year attraction/investment...look at Twister, it was a rushed decision on what was thought to be an up and coming movie franchise..didn't turn out that way.
I will say Despicable Me was the exception to the rule seeing as it was going to be a success anyway

And in all honestly any example of a property not being timeless and leaning towards more of a flash in the pan(Transormers as a movie series could be one, especially when compared to Jaws, Back to The Future or many others) it does not matter. It is popular enough to make money off of. That is all that matters to the parks from the business standpoint. They just need a great Return of Investment on it and if this only cost them around 30 million dollars to plop down in the park, they will definitely make that back and by the time the attraction or brand is no longer a money maker they will have made their Return of Investment and retheme or construct something else in the spot.

I suppose you are all correct. Transformers has been around a long time, and will probably continue to be profitable for Universal with merchandising and future film developments. To be honest, though, I was slightly disappointed with their choice of franchise. Transformers, as directed by Michael Bay, is kind of lackluster in story and doesn't quite live up to what it could have been. From what I've seen of the Universal ride, they have done an AMAZING job of taking what little they had to work with and establishing something unique and exciting that will probably be far more entertaining than any of the films.

But this is coming from the guy who wants them to just go ahead and make an entire third gate dedicated to Harry Potter.

Transformers have been around since the 80s and still kicking and even thought the movies are relatively new to the scene the cartoons has been on and off the TV as cartoon series since the 80s. So I feel there is some what of some staying power there, especially with the demographic its aimed at (young teenage boys). Plus if they are rebooting with a 4th movie and it does well and spawns more sequels you will still get Transformers on the big screen for many more years.

FYI, they aren't rebooting it. It's just another sequel. It will have the same continuity/universe of the previous films and take place four years after the events of Dark of the Moon.

As for the staying power of the Transformers brand, it's an uber successful film/TV/merchandising franchise that spans decades. Even though some (including myself) may find Michael Bay's movie adaptations to not have the best acting or story, the ride is completely its own thing. The ride lacks what drags the movies down into the depths of mediocrity: the humans. Aside from General Morshower in the queue videos that set up the ride's story, the ride focuses on the amazing spectacle of the Transformers themselves. At the end of the day, that's what the ride is about. Watching some big ol' robots fighting each other in 3D HD with us along for the journey. And that is something that will bring in the masses for years to come, regardless of how the films may end up being.

But who knows? Perhaps Marky Mark is missing puzzle piece the film franchise needed all along! :rofl:

Last edited:
Been on the ride several times already. The story here is very easy to follow and the franchise is perfect for this type of attraction.

FYI, they aren't rebooting it. It's just another sequel. It will have the same continuity/universe of the previous films and take place four years after the events of Dark of the Moon.

As for the staying power of the Transformers brand, it's an uber successful film/TV/merchandising franchise that spans decades. Even though some (including myself) may find Michael Bay's movie adaptations to not have the best acting or story, the ride is completely its own thing. The ride lacks what drags the movies down into the depths of mediocrity: the humans. Aside from General Morshower in the queue videos that set up the ride's story, the ride focuses on the amazing spectacle of the Transformers themselves. At the end of the day, that's what the ride is about. Watching some bid ol' robots fighting each other in 3D HD with us along for the journey. And that is something that will bring in the masses for years to come, regardless of how the films may end up being.

But who knows? Perhaps Marky Mark is missing puzzle piece the film franchise needed all along! :rofl:

Gotcha, My bad. I thought they were tweaking things around and sort of rebooting it. :bonk: