Transformers: The Ride - Summer 2013 | Page 57 | Inside Universal Forums

Transformers: The Ride - Summer 2013

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Is it Transformers?

• Yes

Votes: 145 91.8%
  • No

Votes: 13 8.2%

• Total voters
Thanks hatetofly for the pics!!! But I know this has already been said on here but I find this to be weird that the dump trucks are going into public areas but I guess they really want to start construction as soon as possible if there going to open this thing by next year

Thanks hatetofly for the pics!!! But I know this has already been said on here but I find this to be weird that the dump trucks are going into public areas but I guess they really want to start construction as soon as possible if there going to open this thing by next year

That would be correct sir.

^ read backwards slappy. read backwards.

So, if they are building a reinforced concrete slab foundation then that means something. Most foundations in Florida are not reinforced to my knowledge. Home foundations aren't and I don't believe most large building foundations are reinforced either. A rebar reinforced foundation is created only if it is to be load-bearing. Did the old foundation look to have rebar hanging out of it? Someone please correct me if I am off the mark.

Saw this picture on another site. Doesn't look like it had much rebar, if any.

db20120701bld44gone11.jpg

Thanks Hateto! Excellent pics and angles. For those of you wondering what was in those new cardboard boxes: http://www.wayfair.com/Jobox-Piano-...PA49-OIJ1041&gclid=CO7p-p7d_rACFc2a7QodgnSbkA

I see no evidence of rebar in that pile of rubble, just broken concrete. Great pic of what I assume is a boom placed around a runoff outflow from the area of SS44.

Saw this picture on another site. Doesn't look like it had much rebar, if any.

Thanks King K!! I concur. We want to keep our eyes on what they do with that new rebar... if it is a massive gridwork over the entire foundation area, then we know the end result. I think. :look:

Last edited:
So, if they are building a reinforced concrete slab foundation then that means something. Most foundations in Florida are not reinforced to my knowledge. Home foundations aren't and I don't believe most large building foundations are reinforced either. A rebar reinforced foundation is created only if it is to be load-bearing. Someone please correct me if I am off the mark.

Warning, read at your own risk - boring.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the 2010 Florida Building Code:

Concrete foundation walls shall comply with the following:

1. The thickness shall comply with the requirements of Table 1807.1.6.2.

2. The size and spacing of vertical reinforcement shown in Table 1807.1.6.2 is based on the use of reinforcement with a minimum yield strength of 60,000 pounds per square inch (psi) (414 MPa). Vertical reinforcement with a minimum yield strength of 40,000 psi (276 MPa) or 50,000 psi (345 MPa) shall be permitted, provided the same size bar is used and the spacing shown in the table is reduced by multiplying the spacing by 0.67 or 0.83, respectively.

3. Vertical reinforcement, when required, shall be placed nearest the inside face of the wall a distance, d, from the outside face (soil face) of the wall. The distance, d, is equal to the wall thickness, t, minus 1.25 inches (32 mm) plus one-half the bar diameter, db,[ d = t - (1.25 + db/2) ]. The reinforcement shall be placed within a tolerance of ± 3/8 inch (9.5 mm) where d is less than or equal to 8 inches (203 mm) or ± 1/2 inch (12.7 mm) where d is greater than 8 inches (203 mm).

4. In lieu of the reinforcement shown in Table 1807.1.6.2, smaller reinforcing bar sizes with closer spacings that provide an equivalent cross-sectional area of reinforcement per unit length shall be permitted.
5. Concrete cover for reinforcement measured from the inside face of the wall shall not be less than 3/4 inch (19.1 mm). Concrete cover for reinforcement measured from the outside face of the wall shall not be less than 11/2 inches (38 mm) for No. 5 bars and smaller, and not less than 2 inches (51 mm) for larger bars.

6. Concrete shall have a specified compressive strength, f′c, of not less than 2,500 psi (17.2 MPa).

7. The unfactored axial load per linear foot of wall shall not exceed 1.2 t f′c where t is the specified wall thickness in inches.

SS44-010.jpg

For SI: 1 inch = 25.4 mm, 1 foot = 304.8 mm, 1 pound per square foot per foot = 0.157 kPa/m.
a. For design lateral soil loads, see Section 1610.
b. Provisions for this table are based on design and construction requirements specified in Section 1807.1.6.2.
c. "PC" means plain concrete.
d. Where unbalanced backfill height exceeds 8 feet and design lateral soil loads from Table 1610.1 are used, the requirements for 30 and 45 psf per foot of depth are not applicable (see Section 1610).
e. For height of unbalanced backfill, see Section 1807.1.2.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm just trying to show that rebar is used in certain circumstances in Florida.

Teebin et al., rebar is always always always used in foundations. For a soundstage that is framed with structural steel and precast concrete walls, they would normally pour square footings for each column and then the precast or tilt wall panels will rest on a grade beam or continuous footing that surrounds the perimeter. Even slab on grade has some type of reinforcing, whether it be rebar or welded wire fabric. Typically depends on the type of loading the slab is designed for, but at the very least you will have reinforcing for what they call T&S (temperature & shrinkage) to keep the slab from cracking under minor stress.

Does the rebar that arrived onsite look like long straight pieces or are they prebent?

I could go on and on about foundations, but I dont wanna bore you like the FBC apparently did. :)

Does the rebar that arrived onsite look like long straight pieces or are they prebent?

I could go on and on about foundations, but I dont wanna bore you like the FBC apparently did. :)

It appears in the pictures that the rebar is straight. Although, I can not see the entire load on the truck. It could be bent on-site.

And yes, the code is very boring. I posted it for Teebins benefit as he appears to be very interested in the details.

Last edited:
Ok, I just talked with a construction engineer, at length. He was ready to wack me with a piece of rebar halfway through the discussion.

So, moral of story: Forget what I said about concrete and rebar and foundations. What we want to look for, so I have been told, is bent circular rebar. That which would go deep into the ground 8'-16' in a circular cast sonotube. Long circular cages around the buildings foundations to support the steel wall columns. This applies if the structure is to be more than one floor and support a 6"-8" concrete floor above. As for the foundation itself, there will be rebar regardless... but it would seem 6"-8" concrete with moderate rebar will be standard fare for any building that size. Again, sorry for stepping outside of my field of knowledge. :wave:

With Universal being so secretive would it be possible that Universal has actually gotten a building permit but had it filed under a name that no one would think to look for it under?