Turning Red (2022) | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Turning Red (2022)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Encanto released when there was sort of a bit of a lull if you will in cases. This is just terrible timing with Omicron spiking things and it's probably best that it go to D+ anyway. I do imagine the people who worked on the film aren't happy, but the proof is in the pudding that Encanto got much bigger once it was on D+ than in theaters. Few people actually went to see it, but if you put it on streaming, it's much more accessible.

It's not about accessibility though....because streaming numbers aren't transparent compared to box office numbers, lot more talent gets screwed over (i.e Squid Game until there was a loud uproar which let them get a bonus) when it comes down to royalties especially animators who don't have the same protections as their live action counterparts and definitely don't make a lot as is so adding in the loss and lack of transparency hurts them even more.

Secondly, regarding Encanto even at the peak and danger zone, Universal still put out Sing 2 which still did better than Encanto at the box office.People just didn't want to pay to go see Encanto. They are fine seeing it at home subsidized by their disney plus subscription. But they haven't given any Pixar film a chance.

Last edited:
Reactions: UNIrd
It's not about accessibility though....because streaming numbers aren't transparent compared to box office numbers, lot more talent gets screwed over (i.e Squid Game until there was a loud uproar which let them get a bonus) when it comes down to royalties especially animators who don't have the same protections as their live action counterparts and definitely don't make a lot as is so adding in the loss and lack of transparency hurts them even more.

Secondly, regarding Encanto even at the peak and danger zone, Universal still put out Sing 2 which still did better than Encanto at the box office.People just didn't want to pay to go see Encanto. They are fine seeing it at home subsidized by their disney plus subscription. But they haven't given any Pixar film a chance.
Well it was also widely publicized before release that Encanto would be going onto Disney+ 30 days after release, so they lost quite a bit of money there too. I would've gone to see it in theaters had they not announced that in advance.

Reactions: malice
Encanto released when there was sort of a bit of a lull if you will in cases. This is just terrible timing with Omicron spiking things and it's probably best that it go to D+ anyway. I do imagine the people who worked on the film aren't happy, but the proof is in the pudding that Encanto got much bigger once it was on D+ than in theaters. Few people actually went to see it, but if you put it on streaming, it's much more accessible.
Then put it in both

I will see it in the theaters and so will others
Especially with films moving dates and not much coming out, just is weird we can’t have the choice for 2-3 weeks to see it on the big screen

Honestly if amc puts soul or Luca in theaters I’d go see. It’s Pixar almost no ones makes films as good as they do

I feel like it's too soon to make decisions like this about movies releasing 2 months from now as who knows who prevalent Omicron will be then. But maybe it doesn't have that much to do with it at all.

Sucks though. I would've gone to see this in the theater. Looks like a good time.

I think mix of omircron and they don’t have much for D+ coming up until late sprint. Chapek seems to like Pixar films on D+. Wish they’d just do a D+/Theatrical release at the same time but whatever.

I think mix of omircron and they don’t have much for D+ coming up until late sprint. Chapek seems to like Pixar films on D+. Wish they’d just do a D+/Theatrical release at the same time but whatever.
Maybe Disney has some big stats but I honestly have to ask what Disney Fan doesn't have this service? What new people are like ohhh like a Pixar film I'll pay for it now?

Shows seem to be the live blood of these services not films so unless moon, shehulk or Obi Wan aren't coming out by march I dont see how this film will really keep or gain more people.

World wide its a good move but for the USA, I really don't see why it can't be both on D+ and in theaters even if for a limited 2-3 weeks run. Heck many people want to go see movies put Onward out again with Soul and Luca and make it a Pixar two months block at at least AMC (the biggest theater chain in the US)

Maybe Disney has some big stats but I honestly have to ask what Disney Fan doesn't have this service? What new people are like ohhh like a Pixar film I'll pay for it now?

Shows seem to be the live blood of these services not films so unless moon, shehulk or Obi Wan aren't coming out by march I dont see how this film will really keep or gain more people.

World wide its a good move but for the USA, I really don't see why it can't be both on D+ and in theaters even if for a limited 2-3 weeks run. Heck many people want to go see movies put Onward out again with Soul and Luca and make it a Pixar two months block at at least AMC (the biggest theater chain in the US)
I don’t get why it can’t be on both either, but this likely shows investors commitment to the service? Idk, I don’t get it either frankly.

It's less about the theater part for me and more about Pixar's future as a company. The whole last decade of Pixar has seen Pixar leaders insisting that they'll only do a sequel if they have a good idea, then putting out films that are decent but, except for Toy Story 4, much worse than their predecessors. Maybe the problem was Disney's influence, or John Lasseter, or the old hands at Pixar refusing to cede creative control of features to younger generations with newer ideas. Who can say.

But if the problem was Disney's influence, and Disney only sees value in original IP as a means of strengthening a streaming service's week to week offerings, that might not bode well for future investment in the features. Not that original features won't happen, just that they might not receive the same attention/budget as a Lightyear or Cars 4Ever.

Also, I know stuff like this gets affected by Covid, but when it comes to the parks, it feels like Disney and Marvel have been given a higher level of attention when compared to Pixar and Star Wars. Marvel gets new characters almost every month (for features and Disney+) and Encanto gets integrated into the popular Plaza de la Familia before its release. Nothing for the Mandalorian or Luca, neither of which appeared in lands designed to facilitate their presence (Galaxy's Edge, Italy Pavilion).

I would fire whoever is making these decisions. Don't want to release it exclusively in theaters? Fine, go back to doing Premiere Access. Because people are really wising up to the fact now that 2 of the 3 films were the first for Pixar to feature POC in the lead roles and now they're getting the same treatment as Diary of a Wimpy Kid.

Reactions: Cup_Of_Coffee
I would fire whoever is making these decisions. Don't want to release it exclusively in theaters? Fine, go back to doing Premiere Access. Because people are really wising up to the fact now that 2 of the 3 films were the first for Pixar to feature POC in the lead roles and now they're getting the same treatment as Diary of a Wimpy Kid.

Yeah, at least Raya got Disney+ Premiere Access AND Theatrical. It’s not a good look for sure.

I do think it’s a bit unfair to keep bringing up Lightyear in respect to to these films though because for all we know, the same fate will happen to that movie depending on what the COVID situation is and how good movies are performing in theaters.

Reactions: Clive
It’s a bad look, Chapek. We see you!!!

Bad. Look. For all reasons pointed for above. Godforbid Disney be progessive.

It's a bad look certainly, but I'm not sure I buy that argument. Raya and Encanto were led by Asian and Latin-American casts (nearly all Colombian in the case of Encanto). Strange World is rumored to have two black main characters.

I think you can either make one of two arguments:

A: Disney is blind to the PR optics of their decision, as a large company is wont to do.

B: Disney sees diversity as a value worth promoting/a marketing tool, but doesn't actually have faith when diverse voices are both behind and in front of the "camera".

At the very least, Pixar is actually doing the work to have the director's chair reflect the diversity of its casts, something Disney Animation hasn't cracked yet (hiring consultants and writers isn't enough imo). Notably, directors currently developing new films at Pixar include relative newcomers like Aphton Corbin (Twenty Something), Rosanna Sullivan (Kitbull), Kirsten Lester (Purl), Peter Sohn (Good Dinosaur), and Brian Fee (Cars 3). Only one white guy in that bunch. Obviously, it's incumbent on Pixar to support these filmmakers and support their stories. However, Pixar's been making aesthetically daring films and SparkShorts for two years now, many of which were spearheaded by diverse veterans and newcomers alike. Their path as a studio is set, and unless there is agressive creative meddling from Disney-proper, I don't think that will change.

Reactions: Nick

If the teams that worked on Soul, Luca, AND Turning Red got together on a lawsuit, I think it would really get the public behind them and would be a battle that is *maybe* winnable. It would also be extremely high profile. If they just go at it as a Turning Red lawsuit, it's definitely not as high profile and let's be honest, Scarlett Johansson has WAY more protections in place than those in the animation business. They tend to have very few, actually.

It's a bad look certainly, but I'm not sure I buy that argument. Raya and Encanto were led by Asian and Latin-American casts (nearly all Colombian in the case of Encanto). Strange World is rumored to have two black main characters.

I think you can either make one of two arguments:

A: Disney is blind to the PR optics of their decision, as a large company is wont to do.

B: Disney sees diversity as a value worth promoting/a marketing tool, but doesn't actually have faith when diverse voices are both behind and in front of the "camera".

At the very least, Pixar is actually doing the work to have the director's chair reflect the diversity of its casts, something Disney Animation hasn't cracked yet (hiring consultants and writers isn't enough imo). Notably, directors currently developing new films at Pixar include relative newcomers like Aphton Corbin (Twenty Something), Rosanna Sullivan (Kitbull), Kirsten Lester (Purl), Peter Sohn (Good Dinosaur), and Brian Fee (Cars 3). Only one white guy in that bunch. Obviously, it's incumbent on Pixar to support these filmmakers and support their stories. However, Pixar's been making aesthetically daring films and SparkShorts for two years now, many of which were spearheaded by diverse veterans and newcomers alike. Their path as a studio is set, and unless there is agressive creative meddling from Disney-proper, I don't think that will change.
It's 100% a huge optics issue, and while the movie theater is typically seen as where the "Big' movies go, I stand by what I said about streaming making movies like Soul, Raya, Luca, Encanto, Ron's Gone Wrong, and Turning Red WAY more accessible and WAY cheaper than going to a multiplex.

The Mitchells vs. The Machines is a likely Best Picture winner this year and yet no one cried foul that that didn't get a theatrical release. Just because a movie is going on streaming, it doesn't mean it is somehow lesser-than. There's many possible reasons, but a combination is that families aren't rushing back to movie theaters at the moment and at $10/ticket (which is probably actually low for most places), a family of 4 is spending $40 + tax and if they want popcorn or a soda, then you're spending at least $10 more.

Disney+ only costs $8/month so families who aren't as fortunate and can't afford to take their family to the movie, I actually think Pixar/animated movies in general being released straight to Disney+ is kinda perfect, I just think they should give the *option* of watching it in theaters.

Last edited:
It's 100% a huge optics issue, and while the movie theater is typically seen as where the "Big' movies go, I stand by what I said about streaming making movies like Soul, Raya, Luca, Encanto, Ron's Gone Wrong, and Turning Red WAY more accessible and WAY cheaper than going to a multiplex.

The Mitchells vs. The Machines is a likely Best Picture winner this year and yet no one cried foul that that didn't get a theatrical release. Just because a movie is going on streaming, it doesn't mean it is somehow lesser-than. There's many possible reasons, but a combination is that families aren't rushing back to movie theaters at the moment and at $10/ticket (which is probably actually low for most places), a family of 4 is spending $40 + tax and if they want popcorn or a soda, then you're spending at least $10 more.

Disney+ only costs $8/month so families who aren't as fortunate and can't afford to take their family to the movie, I actually think Pixar/animated movies in general being released straight to Disney+ is kinda perfect, I just think they should give the *option* of watching it in theaters.

And the optics aren't getting better since Sing 2 just became the first animated film to break 100mil (domestic) since the pandemic. If they can do that during a surge of all things, I'd like to believe that a Pixar film could make more than that a couple months out when there might not be a surge to complicate things.

Reactions: belloq87
And the optics aren't getting better since Sing 2 just became the first animated film to break 100mil (domestic) since the pandemic. If they can do that during a surge of all things, I'd like to believe that a Pixar film could make more than that a couple months out when there might not be a surge to complicate things.
That makes for a great headline, but the first Sing made $270M domestic and almost $700M WW. And Sing is a sequel.

Again, I think it’s fine these have been going to D+, I just wish they would give the option to watch in theaters.

The funny thing is besides contracts (because I dont know what the directors sign) but Pixar could just leave

Yes no more toy story by them but Pixar wants to mainly do new movies anyway...if they just left they could make a new studio and do a "smaller" story like luca again and ramp back up.

The funny thing is besides contracts (because I dont know what the directors sign) but Pixar could just leave

Yes no more toy story by them but Pixar wants to mainly do new movies anyway...if they just left they could make a new studio and do a "smaller" story like luca again and ramp back up.
I mean, if anything's going to happen, that's the most likely thing, but Disney/Pixar is going to be the better paid option and it would also be a big risk starting up a completely new studio and hoping you can find room in the marketplace to make money.