Universal’s Cinematic Spectacular - Nighttime Show | Page 46 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal’s Cinematic Spectacular - Nighttime Show

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to thank all the OU members that provided us with regular photo updates of the progress of this project from the beginning. It was neat to follow along and watch it finally become what it is now. I am glad that they kept one of my favorite parts from the previous show " Let me go, Bull. You go... we go."

If you listen closely at the beginning montage, a guys says, "Yep. It's exactly like 360."

Can you punch a person in the face through a video? :bang:

The actual show however, seems AWESOMETACULAR!

Looks like they may fold the towers down during the day . . .

Picture from "Orlando Theme Park News"

OTPN-Barge-TowersDown.jpg

Hmmm... I can only judge from the vid... but I wish each segment had a featured film... like 30 seconds from the best of the best movie moment of the genre. The pacing just seemed a bit machine-gun. Anyone else?

Reactions: Cwoolboy
Teebin, I follow you. Honestly, it does have a lot of similarities to 360. Is the presentation much better? Absolutely! Is their competent narration and a logical progression of events now? Absolutely! Is there cool fountains and better pyro now? You bet!

Is it a hugely fundamentally different show than 360? Not really. Not that I blame them - I just don't think this is the second coming like some here seem to be insinuating. It looks like an excellent show and the best nighttime show Universal's ever done. Does it compare to (Disneyland's) Fantasmic? Nah.

The two most impressive moments IMO (SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO DIDN'T WATCH THE VIDEO) - the Psycho scene (really creative transition/use of the "blood red") and the ET portion of the finale, nice orchestration and fountain use and all that.

Very surprised about no JAWS theme. Thought that was a gimme.

No American Tail or Land Before Time, interestingly. They did include, of all things, Dead Silence.

There was a bit of it in the horror section.

The show is good, and I don't know how you'd really be able to compare it to Fantasmic though. The two are fundamentally nothing alike.

Touche, went back and heard it. I am very glad we got the Back to the Future theme in there for so long.

Fine, I'll go on record as saying World of Color is better. Don't say they aren't comparable - they really are, they both involve showing a "Best Of" series of movie clips with multi-colored fountains. CinaSpec has a much better purpose/story/reason for existing than World of Color, though, which lends gravity to its material that I (especially as a big movie buff) really enjoy.

Fine, I'll go on record as saying World of Color is better. Don't say they aren't comparable - they really are, they both involve showing a "Best Of" series of movie clips with multi-colored fountains. CinaSpec has a much better purpose/story/reason for existing than World of Color, though, which lends gravity to its material that I (especially as a big movie buff) really enjoy.

World of Color is much more impressive, no doubt. But that was always going to be the case for anyone that was paying attention.

Seems like just yesterday we saw them cutting up the 360 barges. I'm so happy it's finally here.

Looks like they may fold the towers down during the day . . .

I've thought this since the beginning. The mechanisms were pretty clear, but they had never put them down until today.

Picture I took from tonight:
462897_379377018773049_135284789848941_1118713_1236981381_o.jpg

Looks pretty in pictures. The YouTube vid won't do it justice.

Hmmm... I can only judge from the vid... but I wish each segment had a featured film... like 30 seconds from the best of the best movie moment of the genre. The pacing just seemed a bit machine-gun. Anyone else?

I agree, but that's due to it being a best of 100 years thing. Next year, they can move on to what you suggest. IMO, in the next iteration focus on the big films with recognizeable themes. The ET finale was the most cogent one because of that. Definitely needs more Jurassic Park, Jaws, etc.

I think this is great foundation to build on in the future. For this 100th anniversary celebration, it's perfect. Gives you a good survey of Universal's 100 years. This is definitely something you need to see in person to get the full effect (clips and dialogue).

"Illuminating dreams that have always been...Universal." is a keeper line.

Wow did I luck out. I am here on vacation right now and today was our final day at the Universal Orlando Resort. I thought it was strange that the park hours for USF changed to 8:30 and we soon knew why. We actually only ran over to the Studios this afternoon to see what characters we could find to get photos of my Son with. On the way out for some reason I was watching one of the park wide wait time boards when at the very end the Cinematic Spectacular was listed to show at 8:30pm. We decided we would leave IOA early and head back so that we can check it out. At this time I wasn't aware that the show hadn't been shown publicly yet.

We found a decent viewing location along the water in the park area between Mel's and Kidzone. Although there were many spots avalible all along the lagoon. We didn't view from a "Splash Zone" so I don't know if they had better viewing or not. I would assume the best viewing location would be in the middle.

I personally havn't seen World of Color (yet) but I can honestly say Universal did not rip it off. Although they both use colored fountains and water screens the use of the technology is completly different. Not once did I think WOC while watching this show. It very unique in its own right and deserves to stand on its own.

I thought the show was great and well done. Nothing seemed to be overpowering or seemed forced or out of place. The water screens worked great and will only be better with less wind. Although the movie clips flip thru quickly it all flow's together incredibly well. The music and dialog fits perfect for each segment. You get excited, you laugh, and you even get emotional. This show is pretty powerful and diffenitly a winner for Universal. Its great to see that lagoon put to good use. The biggest surprise to me was the use of Fireworks on both sides of the Lagoon. I only though they would be on the Disaster side.

Overall I was very happy to get to experiance this show. It truly is great and VERY Universal. And thats not a bad thing. Nobody walking away from this with a unbiased mind will not be thinking Disney when they leave.

The photos aren't the greatest as I just have a point and shoot Camera with me but these are some of the photos I took during the show.

Day4UniversalOrlandoResort201.jpg

Day4UniversalOrlandoResort204.jpg

Day4UniversalOrlandoResort206.jpg

Day4UniversalOrlandoResort208.jpg

Day4UniversalOrlandoResort210.jpg

Day4UniversalOrlandoResort211.jpg

Day4UniversalOrlandoResort214.jpg

Day4UniversalOrlandoResort218.jpg

Day4UniversalOrlandoResort223.jpg

Day4UniversalOrlandoResort224.jpg

Day4UniversalOrlandoResort226.jpg

Day4UniversalOrlandoResort229.jpg

Day4UniversalOrlandoResort231.jpg

Day4UniversalOrlandoResort233.jpg

Day4UniversalOrlandoResort235.jpg

Day4UniversalOrlandoResort238.jpg

Disney does it best when it comes to pacing... they know when to slow it down and rip your heart out... either literally or figuratively. The fountains amount to little more than a glorified bidet. The end projections come closest to what the entire show should have been... and the end should have featured 4-5 films at most and slowed way down to throttle everyone. The fireworks off the disaster building either failed, or have been cut back. Only Simpsons building did the full finale.

Disney does it best when it comes to pacing... they know when to slow it down and rip your heart out... either literally or figuratively. The fountains amount to little more than a glorified bidet. The end projections come closest to what the entire show should have been... and the end should have featured 4-5 films at most and slowed way down to throttle everyone. The fireworks off the disaster building either failed, or have been cut back. Only Simpsons building did the full finale.

It was a windy night... they may have had to downscale the finale on disaster. I know when they launched the test flare from simpsons it went pretty far, and we were getting a lot of mist from fountains at battery park.

Status
Not open for further replies.