Universal’s Cinematic Spectacular - Nighttime Show | Page 48 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal’s Cinematic Spectacular - Nighttime Show

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No I dont, I dont really like Epcot anyways.

Fair enough, and refreshingly honest. I love Epcot, but I think Illuminations needs retired and a new show with modern tech put in its place. But to be fair, when Illuminations premiered it was state of the art. But that was a long time ago.

And concerning Disney shows in general, I love some of them and others, not so much. I loved "Believe" at the DLR, but wishes seems like a prepackaged, canned attempt at conjuring emotion and it just falls flat. I love F! in Disneyland, but the WDW version pales in comparison (particularly with all the broken FX and pared down pyro). I actually liked "Luminaria" the first holiday season for DCA. But it wasn't very well received.

But since we are talking about in park entertainment, all I have to say is.....Stitch's Supersonic Celebration!

Well we have learned from the past, our opinions do count and Universal is probably reading all the reviews and comments as they come out on this forum and other sites. So changes could happen if the crowds weren't impressed.

I agree with some about the edit of the filming here. And I know it was windy last night, but it seems they might need to step up the Finale Pyro to give the show a satisfying end. As the majority guest visiting are easily amused by fireworks and a great music score (ex.Disney).

Hmmm... I can only judge from the vid... but I wish each segment had a featured film... like 30 seconds from the best of the best movie moment of the genre. The pacing just seemed a bit machine-gun. Anyone else?

I totally get what you're saying. I just watched the multi-angle video. Some sections are great, particularly the ET finale at the end. And others, just seem like they were trying to find ways to put in as many films as possible. Which for a show about 100 years of Universal films, you can't really fault them for in the end I guess. It's still a very good show, but I feel like they have the groundwork in place now to make something truly great if (but hopefully just when), they decide to change it.

I also don't really care for the good vs. evil section. I think that is just an extension of the heroes segment.

I agree with some about the edit of the filming here. And I know it was windy last night, but it seems they might need to step up the Finale Pyro to give the show a satisfying end. As the majority guest visiting are easily amused by fireworks and a great music score (ex.Disney).

The wind decreased the pyro load at the end, no doubt.

We won't get much more pyro. Universal has pyro restrictions due to being in the city.

--- Update ---

I totally get what you're saying. I just watched the multi-angle video. Some sections are great, particularly the ET finale at the end. And others, just seem like they were trying to find ways to put in as many films as possible. Which for a show about 100 years of Universal films, you can't really fault them for in the end I guess. It's still a very good show, but I feel like they have the groundwork in place now to make something truly great if (but hopefully just when), they decide to change it.

I'd assume we'll get a new show sometime next year. Or in 2014 for the opening of Potter.

Thinking about the show last night while I suffered from insomnia, I started thinking why this was good but not spectacular.

Universal should keep the themes and layout of the show but focus on two/three movies for each section. Then at the end go for the huge wallop of all of the movies at once.

Thinking about the show last night while I suffered from insomnia, I started thinking why this was good but not spectacular.

Universal should keep the themes and layout of the show but focus on two/three movies for each section. Then at the end go for the huge wallop of all of the movies at once.

I would think later interpretations of the show will go that route. But all the movies were necessary for the 100 years thing.

I don't know what people were expecting :shrug:

I was expecting a far more dazzling fountain display; far more dense. I figured the promo videos were just a peek with a couple of them turned on. Perhaps the search lights added something to the sky that was not evident in the two vids so far. Short of a few moments that started to work for me, I didn't expect the editing to be so much like a DVD studio promo. Despite the fact that it is a 100 year celebration, we all know that they did not show EVERY film Universal has ever made... so I believe fewer films would have delivered a better, more emotional show.

I am hoping that Skip is correct and the winds caused them to cut back on the fireworks. I understand the laws governing the area however I can't imagine that it applies to noiseless shots such as flares and roman candles.

I always imagine the stars and when all I get is the moon, I am always a bit disappointed. :wave:

I was expecting a far more dazzling fountain display; far more dense. I figured the promo videos were just a peek with a couple of them turned on. Perhaps the search lights added something to the sky that was not evident in the two vids so far. Short of a few moments that started to work for me, I didn't expect the editing to be so much like a DVD studio promo. Despite the fact that it is a 100 year celebration, we all know that they did not show EVERY film Universal has ever made... so I believe fewer films would have delivered a better, more emotional show.

I am hoping that Skip is correct and the winds caused them to cut back on the fireworks. I understand the laws governing the area however I can't imagine that it applies to noiseless shots such as flares and roman candles.

I always imagine the stars and when all I get is the moon, I am always a bit disappointed. :wave:
I agree with you, the show to me seems a lot like Fantasmic at Tokyo Disney Sea, at first I hated it because it seemed very disjointed. As I have watched it more times however I have grown to love it. The pacing seems a lot better than what 360 was and that is a good thing, but at the same time the rapid showing off multiple movie clips in a scene was still there.

SCENES::- The comedy, horror, and Good vs. Evil scenes felt dreadfully out of place and seemed to be swapped.
- The fire effect with the mist screen was awesome looking
- The finale was amazing as well
- The Triumph scene felt very rushed
- The beginning was executed amazingly and really helps to draw people in.

PYRO::- The pyro is probably the best Universal has ever done and I thought the use of pyro only enhanced the show.No complaints except I would have like to have seen some fire effects.

FOUNTAINS:: - I know I'll probably be eating my words after I see it live, but it seemed that the fountains were sparse and only one of them moved (moved very seaizure-like as well) I would have liked to see more since they do tie us over between pyro shots

MOVIE CLIPS:: - This show seems to rely too heavily on our attachment with movies. Not every person at the park is going to necessarily be a 'movie-buff' and perhaps may not even like Universal movies that much. Disney gets away with just showing a picture of Bambi and everyone goes awww... It seems like Universal almost feels bad or is scared to get too too sentimental. The Morgan Freeman voice over was a stupendous addition though.

Are the fountains, lights and screens a great idea? Yes! x4000
Did the show go through more planning and better execution? Yes
Was I impressed by the show? Yes...and no sometimes
Is it better than WOC? At this point no
Is it better than Fantasmic? YES! Fantasmic is the most glorified Disney show for some reason and I can't stand it
Will I see this every time I go to Universal? you bet!

Better than 360...still not their 100% best..great leap forward though..

The thing that bothers me about the rapid pace, is that it forces you to focus too much on the screens sometimes, and you miss everything else that's going on.

I was expecting a far more dazzling fountain display; far more dense.

This is why I hated the UniColor name. It made it seem the show would be this:

world_of_color_2.jpg

Not what we actually got. And lets be frank, the amount of work that was done to such a small lagoon, the expectations shouldn't have been so crazy.

It's a nice fireworks/fountain show with projection effects. To quote JungleSkip from last night, it's part of the meat and potatoes (along with the parade) the park has been missing.

To quote JungleSkip from last night, it's part of the meat and potatoes (along with the parade) the park has been missing.

Indeed. Which is the main reason it excites me so much. I think it looks like a great show on its own, but knowing it's merely a piece of the much, much bigger puzzle (and an important piece at that) is what really jazzes me up.

The infrastructure is now there. More fountains and effects can always be added. But they now have the ability to put on a nightly show. That is huge for this resort. And remember, this is their first crack at something like this in what...10 years? And it's only their fourth attempt at a night show in the 20+ years the resort has been around. They'll learn from this and improve. I have no doubt in that.

So, who from here other than figment was actually there last night? We know they are launching fireworks from disaster, simpsons. Is the third location MIB?

Watched this second video. The opening foggers are cool... :look:

Diaster, between MIB and Simpsons, and Behind animal actors is what I could tell from battery park

Status
Not open for further replies.