Universal Executive Leadership Changes | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Executive Leadership Changes

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The issue I have personally seen with WDI is their hires all start out as interns, often with no background in the parks, just whatever their degree is in. If they are pretty girls they end up with jobs in Imagineering. If they aren't pretty girls, unless they are REALLY good at what they do, they are replaced by another intern. They rarely hire anyone from within the company who has actually worked IN the parks.

I know three people personally who were in ride operations at Universal who were then hired into UC because they actually want people who understand what they do and not just how to insert hidden mickeys and little nods to past Imagineers. I still think Imagineering can do great work, but often they seem to miss the big picture because the people making the decisions and plans have no idea how things work in the real world of the parks.

I know there is a balance of fresh ideas from outside and experience from the veterans and I think UC is closer to that balance than Imagineering is at this point. The "great" Imagineers were people who worked in the parks and saw what happens and came up with ideas to make things better.
You guys crack me up :lmao::lmao::lmao:

• Haha
Reactions: OrlLover
Not sure her direct involvement, but take my word that the final product had some really fun interactivity. Incredibly neat hidden interaction points, gamification elements to explain higher level concepts, and designing spaces to be extremely multi-use. Could see a lot of innovation coming from her.

The other side of the coin here is a good leader trusts their team and doesn't always have to be the one bringing to the table new, innovative ideas. They just have to be willing to take calculated risks and allow designers to stretch their legs a little, while remaining focused on a central end goal. Coming from a large firm like Gensler she is likely to have that experience with overseeing a team and remaining goal oriented.

The other side of the coin here is a good leader trusts their team and doesn't always have to be the one bringing to the table new, innovative ideas. They just have to be willing to take calculated risks and allow designers to stretch their legs a little, while remaining focused on a central end goal. Coming from a large firm like Gensler she is likely to have that experience with overseeing a team and remaining goal oriented.

This, plus Universal has shown management wants to build attractions. I still have my worries but UC is staffing back up.

The issue I have personally seen with WDI is their hires all start out as interns, often with no background in the parks, just whatever their degree is in. If they are pretty girls they end up with jobs in Imagineering. If they aren't pretty girls, unless they are REALLY good at what they do, they are replaced by another intern. They rarely hire anyone from within the company who has actually worked IN the parks.
So why doesn’t everyone just be pretty?

I had a friend that assumed pretty girls had this magical leg up on jobs. It turns out the real problem was his abusive girlfriend destroyed his confidence and self esteem which lead him to do poorly in interviews. He would be crushing other employees on productivity but have no confidence to tell his current or potential employer why he was valuable and worth more money, She was a narcissist and had no problem lying in interviews about how great she was and got more job offers. She had a deadbeat dad so her default position were all men were trash which is a probably why she didn't see herself as an abuser.