Universal Great Britain | Page 36 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Great Britain

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Wizarding NY would be an interesting pair up--especially if it could act as the parks "NY Street" like how Osaka and Singapore have something of the like. Plus out of all of the FB films--the first one still is a surprisingly good film that knew what it wanted to be.

Wizarding NY would be an interesting pair up--especially if it could act as the parks "NY Street" like how Osaka and Singapore have something of the like. Plus out of all of the FB films--the first one still is a surprisingly good film that knew what it wanted to be.
Great minds think alike lol. . .
Or, if they were bold, they could create the standard new york section and feature one potter attraction, the Magical Congress of the United States of America. Maybe even tie in a sit down restaurant as well.

I just want to say your point about Orlando losing 1mill Brits just doesn't hold up to scrutiny (yes I know you exaggerated but i like debating :p). Simply because for a Brit it's a very different thing from taking a daytrip to Bedford than it is going on a full-blown holiday to Orlando. UGB could never truly cannibalise visitors from UOR simply because people aren't going to Orlando exclusively for Potter (well most people, the Potter stans definitely are), they're going for multiple things which the UK could never offer even if UGB was a carbon copy of IOA.

I do think though that the discourse that not having Potter will have a severe blowback, simply because I have confidence that Universal will make sure UGB opens with an IP on the level of Potter (they could even open with it) that will draw the Brits in droves. Whether it's LOTR, SNW or something completely new, it'll be a big enough deal to negate any Potter blowback.

What I think is happening is alot of Brits are very excited they might get WW in the UK (to the level of Hogwarts Castle/Hogsmeade) and the idea of it not happening has people fretting and worrying. Sure there's the Studio Tour, but honestly it pales in comparison to the IOA WW, just for the sheer impact and awe it inspires.

In my own opinion I'm of the mind that the best route they can go is pairing that big IP with Potter, that would definitely make a statement. Now whether they go HC/HM or some other location in the WW I have no idea but I think having a properly themed WW area and another huge IP is the best way forward. But that's just m

I was not exagerrating anything, that is the literal number of visitors Orlando gets from Britain each year.. 1.2 M Brits is 10% of total visitors to UOR. And everyone on here is acting like Potter is the main draw in Florida when it really isnt. It is very clear Universal want to get all 1.2m of those people visiting both Florida and Bedford then look at other markets to find the other 7-9m they want visiting which will only happen if they have independent slates of rides and attractions, so yes they have considered it and are not going to clone anything from UOR.

this topic is like groundhog day

Reactions: sonoma15
I was not exagerrating anything, that is the literal number of visitors Orlando gets from Britain each year.. 1.2 M Brits is 10% of total visitors to UOR. And everyone on here is acting like Potter is the main draw in Florida when it really isnt. It is very clear Universal want to get all 1.2m of those people visiting both Florida and Bedford then look at other markets to find the other 7-9m they want visiting which will only happen if they have independent slates of rides and attractions, so yes they have considered it and are not going to clone anything from UOR.

I think you misunderstood. I wasn't saying the number you stated was exaggerated but that the whole UOR would lose all 1 million visitors was exaggerated.

I think you misunderstood. I wasn't saying the number you stated was exaggerated but that the whole UOR would lose all 1 million visitors was exaggerated.

I'd be surprised if even half of the Brits visiting Florida go to Universal.

I know plenty of families who won't visit Universal and do Disney exclusively. I know groups of people who won't go near Orlando and stick to the beach towns.

Not to mention a decent percentage going to Miami and doing cruises.

Reactions: Legacy and Nico
If Potter is the be all and end all that you are making it out to be, then Orlando would lose the 1 million Brits who visit every year. Because why travel 4000 miles to visit a place with perfect weather when I can go to Bedford

whats the blow back from that decision? It's not conjecture that they decided not to cannibalise the Florida parks. Orlando has its own unique attractions worth travelling West to visit, UK has the opportunity to build its own set of unique attractions worthy of Americans travelling East for.
Think you may be confusing my reply with someone else as I didn't say it needed to be an exisiting Potter land or attraction.

I agree in not canabilizing but I also think it's simplistic to assume that all 1.1million Brits are going to stop going to Orlando if there is some kind of Potter representation in UGB.

It makes zero business sense not to do SOME kind of Wizarding World area here is what I'm saying.

How many came to Orlando pre-potter? I imagine pretty close to what comes now. To say if they add Potter no one from GB comes to Orlando is pretty ridiculous argument.

Is it possible to add a poll to this thread at all?

I just thought it might make it interesting.

I guess maybe a IP poll with lots and lots of them listed with multiple options or a “will this happen yes/no” poll, where users can change their votes as things progress?

I’m more in favour of the latter simply down to this whole Bedford location. Absolutely everything fits this as a shoo-in, but I just can’t imagine it happening no matter how hard I try, as much as I’d really completely love it to happen.

Bedford is a strange place.

Last edited:
I don't think the Universal GB needs Potter tbh.

You've got the Warner Bros. Studio Tour down the road or you can travel up to Scotland and go on the real Hogwarts Express:

Not to mention the declining popularity (Epic Universe has canceled the hub store) and the astronomical cost of having it in the park before building a single ride.

Plenty of small factors going on and I still think that Universal is viewing this park as a stepping stone for getting people over to Orlando.

How many came to Orlando pre-potter? I imagine pretty close to what comes now. To say if they add Potter no one from GB comes to Orlando is pretty ridiculous argument.
I never said "no one from GB comes to Orlando" I said they want people visiting both. I also have been saying ad nauseum, that its neither my opinion or nor anyone elses on this forum they are not cloning rides from Orlando but Universals decision to do so, since they are ones on the line for both parks, im sure not cannibilising their parks at all isnt ridiculous to them.

and to be even more clear when you Remove hogsmeade (which is outside), Diagon alley from the slate, Hagrids, Ministry of Magic, and yet are expected to pay the same licensing fee to the hate witch as Florida, how is this cost effective? whats the benefit when you can give the same treatment to something like LOTR

I'm totally ignorant about theme parks, but it sounds like this boils down to the essentially unknowable (until it is announced). My only thought is that, despite ample opportunity for people to be oversaturated by Harry Potter in the last 20+ years, it doesn't seem to have happened yet.

I'm totally ignorant about theme parks, but it sounds like this boils down to the essentially unknowable (until it is announced). My only thought is that, despite ample opportunity for people to be oversaturated by Harry Potter in the last 20+ years, it doesn't seem to have happened yet.
But as a long time Potter fan, it does feel the closest we’ve been. There’s a lot going on. Maybe going without is the smartest plan. But a wait and see approach seems logical for us.

I never said "no one from GB comes to Orlando" I said they want people visiting both. I also have been saying ad nauseum, that its neither my opinion or nor anyone elses on this forum they are not cloning rides from Orlando but Universals decision to do so, since they are ones on the line for both parks, im sure not cannibilising their parks at all isnt ridiculous to them.

and to be even more clear when you Remove hogsmeade (which is outside), Diagon alley from the slate, Hagrids, Ministry of Magic, and yet are expected to pay the same licensing fee to the hate witch as Florida, how is this cost effective? whats the benefit when you can give the same treatment to something like LOTR
I trust your Insider info. You're just about always right, so that really makes arguing against this moot. The only caveat is that Universal sometimes changes their mind at the last minute. Otherwise, that's probably the way it's going to be.

Butterbeer is $8.99, probably $12.49 by the time this place opens.
Wands are $63-75+

While licensing fees are expensive... I can't imagine they're anywhere near a point where it's not worth it with the ridiculous margins they're making off merch/F&B.

You know theres a massive HP store five mins from Trafalgar Sq, aswell as one at Kings Cross Station, and obv the Studios themselves where you can buy most of that stuff right? I dont see why they would pay the same yearly fee to open a generic restaurant/stand to sell butterbeer with no recognisable land and all the purchasing of wands etc has been done by a lot of people already its not the same captive audience as the states

Butterbeer is $8.99, probably $12.49 by the time this place opens.
Wands are $63-75+

While licensing fees are expensive... I can't imagine they're anywhere near a point where it's not worth it with the ridiculous margins they're making off merch/F&B.

Reactions: graspthesun
You know theres a massive HP store five mins from Trafalgar Sq, aswell as one at Kings Cross Station, and obv the Studios themselves where you can buy most of that stuff right? I dont see why they would pay the same yearly fee to open a generic restaurant/stand to sell butterbeer with no recognisable land and all the purchasing of wands etc has been done by a lot of people already its not the same captive audience as the states
You can go to any Wal-Mart or Target in the US (Orlando has sections dedicated to the parks, so we'll ignore those) and you'll still find tons of HP-branded merchandise, toys, wands, etc., and that's not preventing anyone from visiting UOR and spending boatloads on merch. While yes, it may feel like the UK has an abundance of Potter experiences... a Universal experience would no doubt draw crowds far more than a simple store in King's Cross.

Don't forget the "Insta-culture" we now have, sipping Butterbeer in Hogsmeade and taking a photo for the gram is a major selling point, something you can't do in the UK yet.

You can go to any Wal-Mart or Target in the US (Orlando has sections dedicated to the parks, so we'll ignore those) and you'll still find tons of HP-branded merchandise, toys, wands, etc., and that's not preventing anyone from visiting UOR and spending boatloads on merch. While yes, it may feel like the UK has an abundance of Potter experiences... a Universal experience would no doubt draw crowds far more than a simple store in King's Cross.

Don't forget the "Insta-culture" we now have, sipping Butterbeer in Hogsmeade and taking a photo for the gram is a major selling point, something you can't do in the UK yet.

The same insta culture people are jumping on a jet and going to Florida to get those pics and ones in front of the castle. #vibes #creditcarddebt

The same insta culture people are jumping on a jet and going to Florida to get those pics and ones in front of the castle. #vibes #creditcarddebt
Yes, but I sincerely doubt having something Potter-related would completely deter visits to UOR. Potter is a gold mine that's given Universal the ability to expand at a rapid pace over the last few years. Claiming that the licensing fees for Potter are no longer worth the price is a questionable statement as they continue to invest in the IP.

Reactions: Jamesh22