Universal Orlando Resort Misc Refurbs | Page 98 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Misc Refurbs

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm curious for people that don't like or can't handle 3d why don't they have glasses where both lens block out the same side so they are left with a 2d image instead of being forced to watch with "double vision"?
They do actually. I assume they darken everything a lot tho. I was in line for Gringots a little after opening day and some guy asked for them before the elevator. They were blue instead of black. I guess in order to distinguish it from the rest when he left.

Reactions: martymcflyy85
They do actually. I assume they darken everything a lot tho. I was in line for Gringots a little after opening day and some guy asked for them before the elevator. They were blue instead of black. I guess in order to distinguish it from the rest when he left.
Cool. Good to know. One of the eyes is darker than the other eye so maybe the duplicate the lighter eye.

Polarized 3D is a weird & cool concept.

So the two images are both imposed upon the screen at the same time (using ridiculously accurate calibration that must be adjusted constantly); they are created using two separate projectors with separate orthogonally-angled polarizing filters. The glasses we use on the rides must remain precisely angled or else the image will look distorted. This is because the angle of polarization will block out the intended image, and the reason why FJ, if it goes to 3D, will hardly tilt left or right in the domes.

A fun test you can try to see how this works is to wear the glasses at the same time as someone else and close either eye. You'll see that with each eye you leave open, their corresponding lens will be transparent, and the other eye will be opaque.

Anyway, the light is reflected into the lenses with one projected image being fed to each eye. The glasses they create for guests unable or not wanting to see 3D images have the same angle of polarity set on both lenses. Thus, they will only see one projected image - the other will be virtually invisible unless they tilt their head enough.

So the two images are both imposed upon the screen at the same time (using ridiculously accurate calibration that must be adjusted constantly); they are created using two separate projectors with separate orthogonally-angled polarizing filters.

Now, I am not sure if any of the parks purchased the newer filters and glasses, but for the past 8 years, RealD has been using newer polarizing tech on all movies. The tech is circular polarization and allows one to tip their heads 45° either way with no distortion. The tech is relatively cheap as each projector only needs the new corresponding filters placed in front of the lenses. The glasses then see the result of each filter.

Aren't the newer projections Dolby 3D? I think Terminator is the only one left using polarized glasses. You should be able to tilt your head with Dolby 3D since it's a color separation thing rather than a polarity thing.

With the exception of Shrek, I believe all of the 3D at Universal now use Wavelength multiplex visualization. where there is an offset of color from one side, which the glasses then correct. The advantage of this over polarized is the image is brighter, there is less crosstalk and the 3D is sharper. The downside the glasses are more expensive (and not disposable) and the projection is more expensive. Very few theaters have it, but its marketed under Dolby 3D (which is actually advertised in Star Tours at Disney). The easiest way to tell is polarized glasses appear grey, where as Dolby 3D appear slighty different colors.

Reactions: violarum
Aren't the newer projections Dolby 3D? I think Terminator is the only one left using polarized glasses. You should be able to tilt your head with Dolby 3D since it's a color separation thing rather than a polarity thing.
I forgot about Terminator. It too is polarized.

With the exception of Shrek, I believe all of the 3D at Universal now use Wavelength multiplex visualization. where there is an offset of color from one side, which the glasses then correct. The advantage of this over polarized is the image is brighter, there is less crosstalk and the 3D is sharper. The downside the glasses are more expensive (and not disposable) and the projection is more expensive. Very few theaters have it, but its marketed under Dolby 3D (which is actually advertised in Star Tours at Disney). The easiest way to tell is polarized glasses appear grey, where as Dolby 3D appear slighty different colors.

Much better explanation than mine. And I forgot about Shrek. :)

Fancy 3D tech talk! Loves it.

Since FJ's upgrade will include the same system as USJ and USH, can we expect similar 3D tech to that of Uni's newer rides? ... And we're still getting that upgrade for Potter weekend, right...?

Still waiting to hear from someone that rode Japan's FJ with 3D. Inquiring minds want to know. :whistle:

Yeah, I have looked and no one has said a peep about it. I found one review online but... it was written in Japanese. Oh wait... I never think to ask my friends in the biz about these foreign parks. I know that one was actually sent from UC to work on Japan. Not sure if he went back for the 3D stuff. [shut up! I can't be in all places and restricted areas at once!] :saywhat:

It always makes me laugh when someone complains about cloned attractions in Universal or Disney foreign parks. Like, why does it matter? Only an insignificant few (in actual numbers) can ever make it to these other parks in a lifetime. So, in reality, what difference is there if they clone a ride. (To clone or not to clone, that is the question......Yogi Hamlet I think).........It sure wouldn't make a difference in any park's attendance. Heck, this is something major like FJ, and I've been searching months for a reader from this international internet site that has experienced the 3D version. No one yet. :whistle:

Does anyone know if the Simpsons ride projectors were ever upgraded to new 4K ones? Its been so long and I cannot remember if the old Sony projectors were replaced with new Sony UHD's or Infitec's 4k's. Another thing I'm wondering given the 2M dollar price tag someone found could this be a test project?? They have 2 theaters and with this ride it is possible to tinker with one while the other is under the knife. Hmmmm....