Universal RFID Bands? | Inside Universal Forums

Universal RFID Bands?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think it was inevitable... Still not decided on whether it's a great thing or not. But if they go a similar route it will definitely be convenient.

I really wasn't convinced about magic bands as I always thought you had to stay on site at Disney to use them and I never seen the value of it but I've just recently found out that you can buy them in the parks and pair them to your tickets. Doing it this way doesn't give you all the benefits such as being able to attach a credit card to the account to buy things in the park but memory maker is now included for free with all WDW tickets in the uk and I think it will be worth it for that alone plus just the convience of being able to use it for fast passes and entering the park. Although being Scottish I have very pale skin and will probably end up with a pretty bad tan line.

If universal bring out something similar if be all over it if they bring out something similar to memory maker but seeing as they don't have a similar fast pass system I don't see how convienent it would be to the average guest if they're not staying on site and have a credit card attached to the band.

Reactions: Jon84
They should make them free for all guests imo. This will require an entire new Express Pass system.

They should make them free for all guests imo. This will require an entire new Express Pass system.

Agreed those bands cost 3 bucks to make and act as a free souvenir. If they tie the bands to people's names, now you can have personalized customer service and make things even more interesting in the park and make the ET system a lot more simple as well.

If it's at the compromise of more enhancements around the park, no thanks. I'll keep swiping my ticket or whatever.

There was a possibly related job posting from early last year that mentioned something called the "Keymaker initiative" and seemed to be really focused on transforming the overall guest experience throughout their entire "vacation cycle".

I'll also echo almost everyone else and say it's not too terribly surprising they're working on a similar system. I just hope they use something other than bands, as it'll cause even more confusion amongst guests who visit both major resorts on their trips.

I'd imagine since guest surveys are apparently going out now, we're not too far off from seeing this kind of system announced, with a likely debut to coincide with Volcano Bay's opening?

Here's the text and a link to that job posting, which is kind of interesting:

Director, Marketing and Experience Transformation Job
Job posted Apr 24 by NBC Universal, Inc.

Act as a key executive business lead for selected marketing and experience transformation tracks in the overall Keymaker initiative. Provide overall and day to day vision, guidance and oversight of programs and projects aimed at transforming and modernizing the Universal Parks and Resorts marketing and guest experiences during the entire vacation cycle – planning, arrival, on property, departure and repeat visitation. Lead and develop business planning, return on investment creation and tracking, technology planning and enablement, experience and operational alignment and financial management. Lead cross-functional, matrix program and delivery teams, maintain strong executive communication and alignment.

MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES:

STRATEGIC PLANNING AND INITIATIVE LEADERSHIP:
  • Lead and oversee selected work threads of the marketing and experience transformation initiatives over a multi-year horizon for domestic Universal Parks and Resorts
  • Provide day to day leadership to cross-functional teams in the development and roll-out of capabilities and enhancements aimed at addressing customer friction points to achieve superior guest satisfaction and business growth
  • Identify opportunities to improve or enhance the suite of marketing and guest interactions systems and tools, processes and resources.
  • Provide oversight and guidance to a mixture of internal and external partners
  • Develop and launch key innovation concepts and platforms to address guest experience and business growth opportunities
CROSS-FUNCTIONAL LEADERSHIP/COLLABORATION:
  • Lead collaborative, cross-functional marketing and experience teams to include IT, Business Operations, Marketing, Creative, Revenue Operations and Finance. Set and manage team direction, strategies and timelines.
  • Provides clear executive decision-making and priority management. If needed, points of contact to review with/or escalate to executive leadership.
  • Ensure integration of marketing technologies with other systems (IT, Finance) and establish related support and reporting procedures.
  • Collaborate with Targeting & Analytics leadership to ensure key marketing campaign strategies and testing mythologies can be rolled out, executed and reported on, as well as receive necessary on-going technology support.
  • Drive continuous infrastructure, tools and process improvement, working with cross-functional teams in support of campaigns/projects, analytics/reporting/business intelligence.
DEPARTMENT LEADERSHIP & DEVELOPMENT
  • Achieve operational excellence and superior guest experience advances by building a high-performing team to achieve and exceed goals and objectives.
  • Supervise and mentor direct reports/team members and IMCD staff in day-to day management and administration of UPR transformation work

VENDOR MANAGEMENT
  • Manage initial and ongoing relationships with vendors and outside service providers as it relates to marketing and experience transformation implementation.
  • Engage and provide relationship management with marketing and experience transformation partners as a key stakeholder, ensuring quality and timeliness of delivery, integration with other projects and overall cost management

BUDGET & PROCESS MANAGEMENT TOOLS:
  • Manage department budget
  • Understand and actively participate in Environmental, Health & Safety responsibilities by following established UO policy, procedures, training and team member involvement activities.
  • Performs other duties as assigned.

EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree from a four-year college or university is required. Advanced degree preferred. Undergraduate degree (preferred) in marketing, engineering, technology, analytics or related fields

EXPERIENCE: 8-12 years in progressive transformation, technology enablement, innovation or marketing leadership:
  • Expert knowledge of large scale transformation initiatives.
  • Experience integrating marketing and experience technologies
  • Experience in project team leadership and large scale program planning and implementation
  • Expert at stakeholder and partner management
  • Experience in executive communication, relationship building and decision making
  • Excellent analytical, written and oral communication skills, and be able to explain complex concepts both concisely and simply
  • Proven ability to maintain a high-level of client service
  • Demonstrated ability to define and execute strategic initiatives
  • Budget Management

Director, Marketing and Experience Transformation Job - ApplyQ

I would think they would steer away from a Fastpass plus system. that seems to be what has caused the most problems for Disney. My guess is it get's used for hotel rooms, product purchases, waterpark only ride times, tickets, photos.

Last edited:
It seems like people get all anxious over this because of all of the complications that FastPass+ and stuff brought. Depending on what exactly they do, it could just make things that much more easygoing at Universal.

Who knows, maybe they're still working on that. Taking their time to do it right after the mess they saw happen at Disney.

If it's at the compromise of more enhancements around the park, no thanks. I'll keep swiping my ticket or whatever.

I doubt one would affect the other. Even if so, it's not like Universal's parks are in bad shape the way Disney's are. We'll still be getting Volcano Bay, Fast and the Furious, Jimmy Fallon, Nintendo, Secret Life of Pets, whatever they end up doing down Universal Blvd., etc.

There was a possibly related job posting from early last year that mentioned something called the "Keymaker initiative" and seemed to be really focused on transforming the overall guest experience throughout their entire "vacation cycle".

I'll also echo almost everyone else and say it's not too terribly surprising they're working on a similar system. I just hope they use something other than bands, as it'll cause even more confusion amongst guests who visit both major resorts on their trips.

It honestly doesn't have to be a wristband, just do something consolidates your room key and tickets and dining plan and whatever down into one thing. Wristbands can certainly be convenient, and there's the potential there to make a fun souvenir kind of like Disney has done with MagicBands, but I think the key goal should be streamlining things. I don't think it's as big of deal for offsite guests, but even then it'd be a little better to have a multi-day ticket that isn't made out of paper that they have to avoid destroying for however many days. But if Universal is trying to build their reputation as the place to stay instead of Disney, then the reality is that they're going to have to spend some money on something like this eventually. It'd be nice if they could maybe make it so they can put everything on your phone, but that would probably be a much more complicated system to instate.

I understand the confusion part but I can't think of anything as an alternative. They can't make it something that goes in your pocket as you'll lose it at Volcano Bay if they implement it there or you'll no doubt be forced to remove it before going on a coaster. A wristband is the best solution and I don't think they should make something not as good as it could be just for the sake of confusion. Slap something Universal on it to stop any confusion although I know the general public and there will always be somebody.

Bo5BdhNIAAAazTu.jpg

The "I know where you have been last summer" band is such a huge succes at WDW that NON of the Disney parks want that overpriced piece of crap. Not Disneyland nor Disneyland Paris nor the Azian parks.

Universal has an awesome perk for all their top hotel guests, free front in line passes. To sustain that garantied level of a relaxing holiday supposed to planning for a few rides 6 months in advance, Universal will need to add high capacity, cutting edge rides and themed areas in their current and new theme parks. The current costs for the magicband is about 2 bilion dollars, that money will be well spent by Universal for their expansion and update costs.

The "I know where you have been last summer" band is such a huge succes at WDW that NON of the Disney parks want that overpriced piece of crap. Not Disneyland nor Disneyland Paris nor the Azian parks.

Universal has an awesome perk for all their top hotel guests, free front in line passes. To sustain that garantied level of a relaxing holiday supposed to planning for a few rides 6 months in advance, Universal will need to add high capacity, cutting edge rides and themed areas in their current and new theme parks. The current costs for the magicband is about 2 bilion dollars, that money will be well spent by Universal for their expansion and update costs.

A Disney budget and a Universal budget are two completely different things. The 6 month advance planning annoys me to no end but the band idea I think is actually a pretty good one. I'm not sure how hotel guests currently get to use the express pass but I assume they just show their room key card. Wouldn't it be easier instead of getting your wallet out, you could just put your wrist to a sensor? If the rumours are true about Volcano Bay having queueless rides as well, then a band is the obvious choice.

I'm sure Universal would learn from Disney's mistakes.

See, this is what I'm talking about, people just seem to think you can't have one thing without the other. I'm guessing that Universal is just planning on making a more convenient ticket on a wristband, not all of this planning nonsense. I really don't think they're going to be messing with their Express system or forcing people to make dining reservations or whatever. Don't confuse a more convenient ticket with MyMagic+ idiocy.

See, this is what I'm talking about, people just seem to think you can't have one thing without the other. I'm guessing that Universal is just planning on making a more convenient ticket on a wristband, not all of this planning nonsense. I really don't think they're going to be messing with their Express system or forcing people to make dining reservations or whatever. Don't confuse a more convenient ticket with MyMagic+ idiocy.

At this stage with that many water rides that completely soak you and having paper tickets, anything that's waterproof would be a major improvement.

^^
This. To me, I find whatever Universal doing with Wristband tech, to benefit them and the general guests.

^
I'd have to imagine that they will be, which already will help them very much.

How about one band to bind them all that can be used at all the Orlando parks? Think of the synergy! :ban: NO! :poop::ack:

Frankly I want an RFID card with a magnetic strip and a hole in one corner to put a lanyard I can clip to a loop on my shorts. That would work for me

Yeah, I agree with you. The survey was confidential so I won't talk specifics, but My guess is that you are right.

Reactions: *Q*