Universal Studios Beijing (Now Open) | Page 81 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Studios Beijing (Now Open)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It’s basically “SLoP on Water.” Simple animatronics and practical sets supplemented by screens.

I think it helps that Pets has a very loose plot but is mostly a series of visual gags. That plays well in the format. Kung Fu Panda is trying to position fast-paced action sequences around a slow-moving boat ride, which doesn't translate nearly as well.

Maybe there's an awesome finale we haven't seen yet.

But if not, it's not threatening SLOP for the title of "Best Universal Family Ride of 2021." It looks fine, and I'm sure it will do well in this park.

I agree. The land itself looks so good that I would consider being okay with it at Studios. I'd certainly much rather have it than the VR Potter (granted it wouldn't fit in that plot but entirely hypothetical).

Reactions: belloq87
Jurassic Park River Adventure/Jurassic World the Ride is the best spillwater flume ride in the world. Getting rid of it would be heresy.

The better option (which also won't happen) is knocking down Dudley and expanding JP that way.
I have to agree

As great as JW is, we got our JW e-ticket in Orlando already

I would argue that JPRA could definitely use an overhaul though

Reactions: OrlLover
It’s basically “SLoP on Water.” Simple animatronics and practical sets supplemented by screens.
In fairness, KFP looks to have more scenes that are close to entirely screen-driven. Other than the brief adoption hallway, I can't think of any scene in SLOP that I'd classify as a "screen scene." The fireworks, maybe? But without checking, I'm not sure how much of the was projection vs. physically present.

But again, we haven't seen the entirety of KFP yet, so maybe there is more of a balance.

I agree. The land itself looks so good that I would consider being okay with it at Studios. I'd certainly much rather have it than the VR Potter (granted it wouldn't fit in that plot but entirely hypothetical).
I'd much rather have SLOP than either other option!

But yes.

The SCOOP is a proven ride system for Universal, similar to the omnimover for Disney. Universal has shown us with this ride that the SCOOP doesn't need to be screen heavy, so I don't see why we can't see new SCOOPs in the US in the future.

It should also be mentioned that we now have a SCOOP ride which not only has a nice finale, but it also doesn't do the high-fall trick as well. So for anyone concerned about EU possibly having multiple Kuka-Arm darkrides, I've got faith they'll be uniquely different in their own ways.

Reactions: Ken96
If we're all freaking out over the moving Indo animatronic, just image the general public! Some poor kid is gonna go on this ride and be scared of dinosaurs for life after.
Reading on a few of the Disney oriented sites', readers that were commenting on the Indo, they thought it was a screen, and complained about Universal screens. ...And, but
another reason POV's are problematic, when they're not clear enough for casual fans.

Reading on a few of the Disney oriented sites', readers that were commenting on the Indo, they thought it was a screen, and complained about Universal screens. ...And, but
another reason POV's are problematic, when they're not clear enough for casual fans.
I wonder what the B mode for the Indo chase is. I can’t imagine creative today would build such a complex scene and not have a B mode in case.

I honestly can't see how anyone could think it was a screen, that Indo chasing effect is incredible!
Maybe they need to go back to watching videos of Webslingers...

If we're all freaking out over the moving Indo animatronic, just image the general public! Some poor kid is gonna go on this ride and be scared of dinosaurs for life after.

55f44cb1e97469d98b73f98d9f7fc584.gif

Would you know what in particular wasn't working? I understand it's a complex, and probably expensive, concept within itself.
I don’t know specifics. My guess is that it’s not really a scalable technology.

https://forums.insideuniversal.net/...verse-wish-list-speculation.14220/post-915527

The only way a gyrosphere ride could really work while maintaining any sort of decent capacity is either using four-person RVs (at which point the size of the RV is untenable), doing 2-person RVs on an omnimover-style system (think Spaceship Earth) or 2-person simulator pods. Either tracked option loses potential interactivity while the simulator (in my mind, the most efficient option) is a simulator.

I really think the ride mechanics are the easier part of the ride, especially if it uses DisneySea’s 2K League wet/dry tech to simulate rolling while it’s actually simply on a gimbal. The challenge is that the gyrosphere, because of the shape, needs to be roughly 7-8ft in radius to fit two (average) people. Large people, it’s closer to 8ft. You can easily fit 4 people in a box that size, or 6 if you cram them. The capacity is the major issue.