Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal Studios Japan General Discussion

3eql.gif
1621978448386.png

Pokémon is absolutely a juggernaut IP that deserves its own highly themed land - or possibly an entire theme park. I have no delusions about that and am highly interested to see what UC has in store.

That said, Jaws still rules.

Universal Studios Japan has announced they will resume business in a limited capacity starting on weekdays, June 1, 2021.

Wash Post is reporting 10,000 Japanese volunteers have quit the Japan Olympics over potential health concerns.
What a mess....I do have questions about the economics of continuing vs. cancelling. If no spectators are allowed and the TV rights are solely beneficial to the networks, what incentive is there for Tokyo to go on? Without the tourism draw it seems like a no-win situation. It’s not even like you can play this as a big commercial for country because, not only is the value of that questionable, but the whole thing is going to be surrounded by controversy no matter what.

What a mess....I do have questions about the economics of continuing vs. cancelling. If no spectators are allowed and the TV rights are solely beneficial to the networks, what incentive is there for Tokyo to go on? Without the tourism draw it seems like a no-win situation. It’s not even like you can play this as a big commercial for country because, not only is the value of that questionable, but the whole thing is going to be surrounded by controversy no matter what.

IF IOC cancels, they owe Japan money. If Japan cancels, they own IOC money. Its a money game as the money owed is in the billions.

Not sure if this is old news or not, but a lot of Japanese news are reporting today that a Kimetsu no Yaiba (popular manga/anime series) attraction is coming to USJ in September. I'm assuming this is a Cool Japan thing? The articles are incredibly undetailed on what the attraction actually is.

I asked a very similar question on the Singapore thread, but any word on if Japan will host their seasonal HHN this year?
It was just announced today that HHN is returning.

The blog linked in this tweet posits that the coming closure of the steel plant north of Super Nintendo World might open up expansion space for USJ.

(The steel plant is the area in red):

I'm not sure how plausible this is. Even if Universal owned the land, the only way to access that area would be via pathways between SNW and Hogsmeade. It would also disrupt roadways leading to the parking garage (though this could be surmounted with elevated roads/pathways ala DisneySea). The area might be better suited for relocated backstage facilities, opening up other areas around the park for expansion.

The blog linked in this tweet posits that the coming closure of the steel plant north of Super Nintendo World might open up expansion space for USJ.

I'm not sure how plausible this is. Even if Universal owned the land, the only way to access that area would be via pathways between SNW and Hogsmeade. It would also disrupt roadways leading to the parking garage (though this could be surmounted with elevated roads/pathways ala DisneySea). The area might be better suited for relocated backstage facilities, opening up other areas around the park for expansion.

Id say this would absolutely be ideal for backstage and parking, freeing up a sizable chunk of park expansion space.

Not sure if this is old news or not, but a lot of Japanese news are reporting today that a Kimetsu no Yaiba (popular manga/anime series) attraction is coming to USJ in September. I'm assuming this is a Cool Japan thing? The articles are incredibly undetailed on what the attraction actually is.

This seems to be a separate XR revamp done, however it is a case to where USJ is overpreparing on in merchandise. Lines for just the popcorn bucket of Nezuko are multiple hours (I've even seen five hours for the damn bucket); with a lot of Demon Slayer/Kimetsu no Yaiba merchandise.

Much like Mugen Train, there's an absurd level of success so-far. I honestly wonder if it might be the most successful XR revamp to date. Part of me wonders if Universal, ufotable, and Aniplex/Sony are taking heavy notes to this.

Even with how USJ overbloats, the lines are being reported for XR at around above 200 minutes.