Universal's Epic Universe Construction Thread | Page 15 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe Construction Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Finally noticed in one of Bio's aerial photos that there's now a concrete plant onsite at Epic Universe, although I think it may have been installed before the pause happened so I'm not sure how much it will get used in the near future.

Within the last couple weeks, Universal also filed revised plans (presumably to fix issues identified by the county) for some park site work permits for the first time since April, but I'm trying to not get too excited until there is movement on BOH building permits as well.

Just drove past the Sand Lake Road side of the property and it was good too see a bunch of workers installing infrastructure for the back of house stuff going in over there.

Every time I look at the site I marvel at the amount of fill dirt they added on the property. Along Sand Lake the level of the finished property is 6-8 feet higher than the roadway (which was raised as part of the rebuild of the road). Does anyone know was this raise in the land simply flood protection since it's so close to Shingle Creek and possibly subject to flooding, or was this part of the land remediation to bury the contaminants from Lockheed's test site, or a combination of both? I remember that when Universal first owned that land they were supposed to be doing a lot of remediation to make it developable, I just don't know how much was completed before they sold it.

The apartments built on other parts of the site don't seem have done any elevation changes or removal or capping of the existing soil, and according to the maps the one map one of the new apartment complexes was built on a "Pershing Plume" which I'm assuming had to do with a Pershing Missile test (built by Martin Marietta, previous name of Lockheed MGM-31 Pershing - Wikipedia ) and fuel or explosive material spilled and contaminating the soil.

Just drove past the Sand Lake Road side of the property and it was good too see a bunch of workers installing infrastructure for the back of house stuff going in over there.

Every time I look at the site I marvel at the amount of fill dirt they added on the property. Along Sand Lake the level of the finished property is 6-8 feet higher than the roadway (which was raised as part of the rebuild of the road). Does anyone know was this raise in the land simply flood protection since it's so close to Shingle Creek and possibly subject to flooding, or was this part of the land remediation to bury the contaminants from Lockheed's test site, or a combination of both? I remember that when Universal first owned that land they were supposed to be doing a lot of remediation to make it developable, I just don't know how much was completed before they sold it.

The apartments built on other parts of the site don't seem have done any elevation changes or removal or capping of the existing soil, and according to the maps the one map one of the new apartment complexes was built on a "Pershing Plume" which I'm assuming had to do with a Pershing Missile test (built by Martin Marietta, previous name of Lockheed MGM-31 Pershing - Wikipedia ) and fuel or explosive material spilled and contaminating the soil.
I think it has more to with building up the land so they could dig deeper for “underground” service elements for rides and dig out lagoon/water features without reaching the water table as quickly. Flood prevention and easier drainage isnt bad either I’m sure.

The land the park will sit on has been tested and was found to no longer contain contaminants, so it shouldn’t have anything to do with that. Just seems more about making it easier to carve out the land to suit their needs more than anything else, to me anyway.

I think it has more to with building up the land so they could dig deeper for “underground” service elements for rides and dig out lagoon/water features without reaching the water table as quickly. Flood prevention and easier drainage isnt bad either I’m sure.

The land the park will sit on has been tested and was found to no longer contain contaminants, so it shouldn’t have anything to do with that. Just seems more about making it easier to carve out the land to suit their needs more than anything else, to me anyway.
Nail on the head with the water table mention.

Also, to further elaborate on the contaminants issue, like I said, the land the park will sit on has been completely cleaned... But, there is still a former waste landfill to the east that, last I heard, still needs to be evaluated and possibly cleaned a bit more before it is entirely safe...

Where they're building the park is fine, but I wouldn't go swimming in those retention ponds off to the right side of the guest parking lot any time soon if I were you. Just in case.

I thought the word we had heard was that they were going to move forward with Back of House work but everything else is halted.
All we had was Orange County Mayor Demings saying that $300 million plus of work underway would continue. I was under the impression that basically meant roads (Kirkman and internal), parking, and the grading/drainage/pipes we've been watching them work on for over a year now. I don't think it meant many actual BoH buildings - the only vertical building permit issued so far is for the OUC chilled water plant (which does appear to be moving forward at this time).

Lots of new permits posted for back of house today. They still show as pending though, so no details currently.
A bunch of them are described as P920, which per your permit numbers thread would not be back of house?

Not sure why they would be filing those right now, however.

A bunch of them are described as P920, which per your permit numbers thread would not be back of house?

Not sure why they would be filing those right now, however.
P920 is the park's entry courtyard area... I was referring to the P931's that were posted prior yesterday.

Although, seeing those few P920 permits is pretty neat too!
  • New Construction Commercial Building
  • Area Restroom
  • Small Commercial Building with Adjacent Pedestrian Canopies

What does OUC stand for?

OUC ... The Orlando Utilities Commission is a municipally-owned public utility providing water and electric service to the citizens of Orlando, Florida and portions of adjacent unincorporated areas of Orange County, as well as St. Cloud, Florida, in Osceola County

Reactions: londonwerecat
OUC ... The Orlando Utilities Commission is a municipally-owned public utility providing water and electric service to the citizens of Orlando, Florida and portions of adjacent unincorporated areas of Orange County, as well as St. Cloud, Florida, in Osceola County

Then why, per the original post, would OUC be installing a chilling system on Universal’s property? A. there is nothing there that requires AC and B. wouldn’t Universal purchase their own chilling system when the time comes?